Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 91st Academy Awards (February 24, 2019) TV Show • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Jan 4, 2019.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I still have faith in the Academy's insistence to pat itself on the back for things and ASIB is a very oscar bait-y movie so I think it'll win.

riotspray likes this.
  2. EASheartsVinyl Jan 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 14, 2019)
    EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I think it will pick up a few when all is said and done, but it won’t be any kind of sweep like people thought when it first came out. But it also won’t be a Turning Point/Color Purple scenario either.

And unrelated, but the Critics’ Choice Best Actress category is my favorite of the award season so far.

3. BackyardHero11

Trusted

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

This is the most wide-open Best Picture race in years. It's kind of crazy.

Also, anyone who tells you ASIB is a lock for anything other than Original Song is selling you a fantasy. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's the only thing it wins all night considering how Glenn Close is mounting a real challenge to Lady Gaga.

5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

If Green Book wins I don’t know what I will do with myself. I’m hopeful that the rightful backlash will tank it like James Franco but that’s probably wishful thinking. Same for BoRhap.

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I remember when I saw the scene with the waterfall fight I audibly laughed at how bad everything looked. Blows my mind how much praise the film gets in the visual department.

7. Okay, but like, Spider-Verse getting Best Animated Feature and Crazy Rich Asians getting Best Comedy is perfect. (It would've been cool if Black Panther got Best Action Movie, but MI:6 was too good, so I'm not even mad.)

8. Anthony_ Jan 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 14, 2019)
    Anthony_

Green Book will not win.

Let's please not have a repeat of last year, with everyone getting worried about Three Billboards winning even though it also didn't have a chance, huh? lol

9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Man I hated that movie.

10. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Yeah those critic award winners and nominees seem much more credible. Toni Collette was nominated...that's all I ask for

11. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

ASIB is about show business and is the highest grossing nominee (assuming BP and Bohemian Rhapsody don’t get in) so it’s really hard to count it out just yet. Roma’s got the momentum tho.

12. Anthony_

Can't count ASIB out, but it is by no means a lock. I've seen the idea that its victory is assured still popping up around the internet and I don't think the current state of the race bears out that conclusion at all.

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Predicting awards season is a chore that drains the fun out of everything so let's just embrace the unpredictability

I also don't feel bad for Bradley Cooper

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

"Essentially, they’re being told that if they present on another televised awards show, they won’t get to present on the Oscars,”

15. Anthony_

Solid strategy to get people to feel positive vibes about your embattled awards ceremony, that

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  18. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Haven’t seen Basis, but Beale is incredible, see it. Destroyer is ok.

20. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

21. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Hot take but Bradley Cooper doesn't deserve an Oscar (currently or previously)

22. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

What about in the future?

23. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I definitely think he deserves one this year. I haven't seen all the (potential) nominees yet though so I don't know if he'll actually win.

24. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Beale Street is miles better than Basis and Destroyer.

jkauf likes this.
  25. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter