Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 91st Academy Awards (February 24, 2019) TV Show • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Whatever else happens, I highly doubt Cooper will win Best Director. And there's also only a very slight chance he'll win Best Actor. Honestly I think its only real hopes from the Big Five are Actress and Picture.

That said, it will certainly be nominated in all five of those categories, plus Original Song, probably Film Editing, and maybe some others.

2. Anthony_

Obviously we need to wait to see how the nominations shake out, and it's really too premature to start making guesses before the guilds award their prizes, but if the ceremony were held tomorrow I could see Cuaron winning Best Director and Roma becoming the first foreign language film to win Best Picture.

And regarding Best Director, I think Cuaron is the frontrunner at the moment without a doubt, even before nominations and guild awards. Either way, we'll get out first real indicators tomorrow with the DGA nominations.

3. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I’m more interested in what will be nominated for tech awards. Editing, cinematography, visual effects, etc.

4. Anthony_

Has anyone ever won Best Cinematography for a film they also directed? Feel like Cuaron could do it.

EDIT: Also just going to drop in here that PTA not getting a nod for his work behind the camera on Phantom Thread last year was criminal.

5. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I don’t think anyone has. It’s rare for a director to also be cinematography on the same film. It would be cool if he happens to be the first.

6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Robert Rodriguez and Steven Soderbergh (though he credits himself as "Peter Andrews") are probably the two bigger names of directors who also did the cinematography on a number of their works

oakhurst likes this.
  7. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

It won't win director or screenplay.

I do think it will win either best picture or best actor but not both. I definitely think they want Cooper to finally walk away with an Oscar

8. Anthony_ Jan 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 8, 2019)
    Anthony_

Directors Guild Nominees Include Bradley Cooper, Alfonso Cuaron

So the DGAs went with:

Bradley Cooper
    Alfonso Cuaron
    Peter Farrelly
    Spike Lee
    Adam McKay

Really surprised they went with Farrelly over Jenkins. I'm wondering if maybe not enough people saw Beale Street before the voting ended. That shouldn't be an excuse for Oscar voting, but you never really know.

I'd say it's relatively safe to go ahead and assume for now that Cuaron is the favorite here.

9. Anthony_

Also, happy for Bo Burnham and Boots Riley getting nominated at the DGAs for Outstanding First Feature Film. Well-deserved.

mad likes this.
  10. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Yeah, I think those are the five we'll get for the Oscars. Alfonso seems like a lock at this point.

11. Anthony_

I wouldn't be 100% sure these are the same five we'll get for the Oscars. Farrelly could drop off in favor of someone more deserving, just like McDonagh did last year. It's actually a pretty similar situation: way more people had seen Three Billboards (another shallow and middling film that bungled racial issues) by the time DGA voting closed than had seen Phantom Thread, so McDonagh got the DGA nomination, but by the time the Oscars came around he had been replaced with Paul Thomas Anderson.

Hopefully the same thing happens this year and we get someone like Jenkins in there instead.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The Globes were bad enough, but if “Oscar-nominated director Peter Farrelly” is something that becomes true for all time I’ll have to tear my hair out.

Anthony_ likes this.
  13. Anthony_

All of this almost feels a little irrelevant though at this point because Cuaron seems to have literally all of the momentum behind him. A lot can change over the next month and a half but right now it’s looking good for him.

14. yung_ting

Trusted

There’s no way Roma gets BP

I mean, I want to believe but I just don’t

15. Anthony_

Not Best Picture, Best Director. If the ceremony were tomorrow I’d bet any amount of money on it.

yung_ting likes this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

too bad there were no female directors this year, couldn't give Marielle Heller the nom or anything

17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I still really need to see that. It definitely feels like a two steps back kind of year in some ways.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  18. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Hope Farrelly wins again so he can get onstage and throw another temper tantrum when they try to play him off during his speech about how we should be friends with racists

mad likes this.
  19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It'd be dope if Jim Cummings got nominated for something for Thunder Road

riotspray likes this.
  20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

For the first time in nearly three decades, the biggest night in movies plans to go without a host, individuals with knowledge of the plans told Variety.

Producers will select a crop of A-listers to introduce various segments instead of relying on one marquee name to kick things off in a monologue filled with Trump zingers, said the insider

21. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Interesting. I think that could work out well.

22. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

he wont but yeah he would totally deserve

23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m all for not having one host.

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Yeah the monologue is really all that matters

25. Anthony_

St. Nate and incognitojones like this.