Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 91st Academy Awards (February 24, 2019) TV Show • Page 24

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I didn't get much out of Hugo but I also haven't seen it since theaters

Wolf and Silence are two of the decade's best though, particularly the latter

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I’m a big fan of his Scorsese collaborations, particularly Wolf, the Departed, and Shutter Island. I also genuinely love his Romeo and Titanic performances. Catch Me if You Can is fantastic. I even liked his Gatsby. The only thing that ever rubbed me the wrong way was that whole “when will Leo win his Oscar??? He’s trying so hard for an Oscar” narrative because again, he was young, and exemplified some of the simplest and most annoying aspects of the Academy Awards.

I like him well enough as an actor, outside of the Revenant.

Joe4th and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I really loved Hugo. I feel like I'm one of the only ones who did a lot of the time, but I don't know, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I do agree that Silence was the best of the three though. Blew me the hell away. Adam Driver was robbed of a Supporting Actor nomination for sure.

Mrplum5089 and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Hugo, along with Gravity and Avatar, are the most I’ve ever been immersed in and appreciated a 3D theater experience.

5. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Catch Me if You Can is maybe the best Leo performance

it's the tailor made perfect role for him (at that point) as a young guy trying so hard to play with the grown-ups

man that movie owns

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  6. Anthony_

Yeah, Hugo and Avatar are the only times I saw a movie in 3D and thought the medium was actually used properly/used in any meaningful, non-cynical way at all. I didn't see Gravity in 3D but I heard similar things about it as well. No surprise really, though, considering who made the films.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Oh yeah I've liked him in a bunch of things , interesting how all the movies you mentioned have brilliant directors never really made that connection

Anthony_ likes this.
  8. BackyardHero11

Trusted

this! I've actually been wanting to rewatch this since it's on Netflix. actually think I haven't seen it since theatres.

9. BackyardHero11

Trusted

definitely in my top 5 Spielberg films

Aregala likes this.
  10. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

2000s Spielberg is sooooooo good

11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I love Hugo SO much. It blew me away when I first saw it. I’m a huge Melies fan but I feel like they intentionally hid that aspect of the film in the promos (or I missed it somehow), and when it first clicked for me that that’s who he was I just burst into tears in the theater. It was before they actually did the reveal, and the person I was with thought I was having a fit or something. One of my favorite theater experiences and I will absolutely die on the hill for that movie.

Also I am hard on the Leo being overrated train. I was afraid to bring it up when he was mentioned but now that others have I’m less concerned. Lol. He overracts like his life depends on it. He’s had a few I liked though, but I was so happy when they finally gave him one just so everyone would shut up about how deserving he was. It was impossible to disagree when those campaigns were in full force.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Anthony_ like this.
  12. Anthony_

Leo is an actor that truly does need a strong director behind him to do his best work. Like @Nathan and @iCarly Rae Jepsen pointed out, it's not a coincidence that his best stuff has been with people like Spielberg and Scorsese.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  13. Anthony_

I read the book before seeing the movie and, yeah, I was really really surprised at that aspect of the story. Especially in a kids story. I respect the hell out of Selznick for going there. And everything about how it was handled in the film was perfect.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  14. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

And it’s on Netflix. Such a great film. I’ll probably watch it for the third day in a row.

15. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Leo should have won for The Departed

16. BackyardHero11

Trusted

excellent call. I own the anniversary blu-ray which is such a gorgeous remaster, but I didn't have it digital, and I was like, I need to have this with me at all times, just in case haha.

justin. likes this.
  17. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Everyone said that year he was nominated for the wrong movie (Blood Diamond)

18. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Plus he had that whole thing with The Departed where he didn't want to campaign as lead because he thought it would take focus away from Damon and Wahlberg or something

Still weird in retrospect that he went all in on Blood Diamond

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  19. BackyardHero11

Trusted

because...

[​IMG]

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  20. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

has Leo ever done a good accent?

lol

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  21. BackyardHero11

Trusted

A Fyre Festival Documentary Arms Race for anyone who loved Minding the Gap. The second half of this episode on The Ringer's "The Big Picture" podcast has a fantastic interview with the director Bing Liu.

incognitojones and Mrplum5089 like this.
  22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Django was cartoonishly broad but that might have been intentional

I feel like very few actors are good at accents except for surprise Brits like Dan Stevens

23. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

British actors do better American accents than Americans. For the longest time I didn't know Hugh Laurie and Andrew Lincoln were British

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  24. BackyardHero11

Trusted

I forget where it was but Hugh Laurie and Zach Braff were presenting an award and after Hugh speaks Zach goes "I didn't know we were doing accents" haha it was pretty funny.

25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Hugh is my boy! Also Matthew Rhys does a great job. And Michael Sheen for that matter, so maybe it has something to do with being Welsh...