Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 91st Academy Awards (February 24, 2019) TV Show • Page 23

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Jan 4, 2019.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

get that shit done Allison Janney, also you didn't have to invite Gary

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I say this all the time when talking about movies with people this year but I was impressed by how well-made ASIB was, especially for Cooper's debut. It was not boring to look at, but it wasn't too flashy or showy either. I would like to see him direct more things in the future.

That said, yeah, his exclusion is not a snub. Not when so many far more deserving people were similarly left off the list.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  3. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I get the feeling that with the inner workings of Hollywood show biz culture filled with kiss asses and shmoozers, for an A-lister like Cooper, the last several months everyone's been telling him he's gonna be nominated for director so that high expectation gets in your head, so when you're denied it then it feels like you failed. Same goes for other people who received high praise but no nomination.

4. Anthony_

I do think he sounds like he let the hype get to him a bit. Which isn't on its face a bad thing, like he made a wildly successful film that was beloved by audiences and critics as a first-time director so he should be proud of what he did, it's just that he isn't owed anything. So yeah I think you may be right that he let the narrative get the best of him here.

Besides, it's like, dude you got three nominations out of it for yourself, you're going to pout because you didn't get one more? Come on man.

5. I did this today and omg that was the scariest thing ever. I don't think I've ever been so tense at a movie theater.

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  6. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

Bradley out here bitching when the non-nominated Barry Jenkins made one of the most beautiful films of the year, real gold, yeah....

Anthony_ likes this.
  7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

His reactions to this and playing into it as a snub and an “embarrassment” are a really bad look. I re-evaluated my opinion on him after liking ASIB more than I expected, but if he keeps this up it’ll go back down to where it’s always been.

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I didn't get a woe is me vibe from Bradley, not that I feel bad for him he's a rich handsome white dude , and there were definitely other people I'd like to have seen nominated like Marielle Heller

9. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I don’t see why people are whining about his whining. The dude put thousands of hours into his film so of course he’s going to feel that way when he isn’t nominated. No reason to make Cooper look like a bad guy because of it.

SmithBerryCrunch and Aregala like this.
  10. BackyardHero11

Trusted

I didn't watch an interview or anything but from the quotes I didn't get "whining" from it. sounded like someone who was proud of his work and put a lot into it had a genuine human emotion of "embarrassment" that maybe he didn't accomplish it to the level he hoped.

justin., SmithBerryCrunch and Aregala like this.
  11. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Spielberg was SO confident he was going to get a best director nomination for Jaws that he hired a camera crew to videotape his reaction to the nominations

I don't see what the big deal about Bradley saying he was embarrassed. Honestly I find it refreshing that he's being candid about his feelings on this. Dude got nearly every precursor nomination, I think it's all legit

The conversation of other directors that weren't nominated is equally valid but I don't think it really takes away from Cooper's honest reaction

12. Jake Gyllenhaal

13. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

:((((

obviously Spielberg more than made up for it, but this is still heartbreaking to watch

14. Jake Gyllenhaal

Again, he's in his late-20s and he made the biggest movie ever so obviously the hype and expectations and cockiness led to utter disappointment for the guy

Aregala likes this.
  15. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

just unreal that the dude made Jaws when he wasn't even 30 yet lmao

16. BackyardHero11

Trusted

just because Jaws was brought up and it's my 2nd favorite film of all time.

[​IMG]

Favorite shot ever in all of cinema.

17. Anthony_

I just think Cooper's overreacting a bit, is all. Specifically his comment about it being an "embarrassment." Like, come on man. I don't hate the guy, he's just taking it a bit far.

18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Eh, I’m still not into it. I get where you’re all coming from though and I can appreciate letting out genuine emotions. But hearing that someone is told they got nominations in all the huge categories and yet is upset that they didn’t personally get recognition, especially when so many other deserving people were snubbed, is not something that sits well with me. The film itself was nominated, the performances were nominated, it clearly has been recognized as a triumph, but the one for just him somehow lets down the team? I don’t know, I can try to cut him some slack I guess, but it’s still a bummer.

19. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Oof. The fact they had people recording it makes it worse. I had second hand embarrassment just by watching it.

20. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Cooper is probably a fine guy, I just roll my eyes at the narrative that he’s snubbed. I honestly felt the same about DiCaprio, who sure, deserved Oscars before the Revenant, but was what, 39 years old?

He should have won for Wolf of Wall Street, the Revenant is doodoo, fwiw

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Joe4th like this.
  21. Anthony_

WoWS will go down as one of Leo's top three career-best performances when all is said and done. It was an absolute crime he didn't win for it.

Also the fact that WoWS doesn't get talked about more for how brilliant it is in general really sucks.

Joe4th, Nathan and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Leo is so overrated

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  23. Anthony_

24. Jake Gyllenhaal

I felt like his best work was The Aviator

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  25. Anthony_

Scorsese has been on a really hot three-movie run, hopefully The Irishman continues that when it eventually comes out.