Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 91st Academy Awards (February 24, 2019) TV Show • Page 22

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Awkwafina and Constance, WOOOOO! :heart:

Also Chris Evans, Brie Larson, and Tessa Thompson! :cap::thor::thanos

2. Was thinking of seeing Cold War but ended up going to Spidey round 3.

Mrplum5089 and AndrewSoup like this.
  3. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

4. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

It's a fun pun

5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The Academy Awards without a host will be terrible. Check out the 1989 Academy Awards for evidence.

6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Last year's MTV Video Music Awards went without a host and that ceremony turned out perfectly!

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It's not like the Oscars are ever particularly good or fun haha and someone will still do a monologue

8. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Gonna go check out Free Solo in IMAX tonight for $5 Tuesday

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  9. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Very jealous of everyone who gets to see this in IMAX, that movie already took my breath away on a normal screen.

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  10. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Has anybody gone to any of the black panther screenings that AMC is doing? We got tickets but since there is a wait list and a note to show up early I am wondering if it’s a situation where I’ll have to get there super early to line up for a spot.

11. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I am never letting my feet leave the ground ever again. Holy shit.

Maybevictor, flask and I Am Mick like this.
  12. justin. Feb 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 6, 2019)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

13. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I can’t beljeve anyone reading about the show this year still thinks it’s something worth watching. My god it’s going to be a snooze

justin. likes this.
  14. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

such a fuckin slap in the face to all of the people in the craft categories

"We're not going to broadcast your moment on TV, but don't worry, we'll arbitrarily pick names out of a hat to see which categories get skipped"

15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Would love to see some solidarity from the nominees in the major categories on that issue. If it were me, I'd be trying to organize a boycott unless all awards were presented on the live broadcast, like Lady Gaga did for the musical performances. It's not right.

But then again, I'd also be boycotting because of Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book too, so I wouldn't be there anyway.

stars143 likes this.
  16. stars143

Trusted

Yeah... not watching an award show where awards are given out during commercial breaks. It feels disrespectful to the film making craft. I think that decision will hurt more than help in the long run.

17. stars143

Trusted

Also, part of the fun for me has been printing out a ballot and trying to guess the winners. Having awards given out during commercial breaks ruins that.

18. Jake Gyllenhaal

95% of Grammy Awards categories are announced off-air

19. stars143

Trusted

I guess I'm not in their target audience. I rarely watch the Grammy Awards. I guess a key difference is the Grammy Awards are for music so they can focus more on live performance without it seeming weird. If the Oscars are not showing these 'minor awards' (honestly ones I am most excited to see - I am more interested in best cinematography than I am in best actor), I have a feeling they will just fill the time with more advertisements.

20. flask

Trusted Supporter

There’s also 84 categories in the Grammy’s vs ~25 for the Oscars.

Jake Gyllenhaal and stars143 like this.
  21. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

If there's any award show with less credibility than the Oscars and the Globes, it's the Grammys.

22. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

None of them have any credibility

TEGCRocco and incognitojones like this.
  23. Jake Gyllenhaal

Saw a comment on an article about Cooper feeling snubbed from the Director category

“I would really, really love it if, after the best director oscar is announced, Cooper stumbles on stage screaming “Did we win?” and then stands there and pees himself.“

SmithBerryCrunch and Anthony_ like this.
  24. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I’m sure A Star is Born is a more than fine movie, but for people to talk about fucking Bradley Cooper being a “snub” for his first ever directorial feature when people like Scorsese and Spike Lee waited decades, and people like Lynne Ramsay and Boots Riley and Paul Schrader and Christopher McQuarrie had top tier works just this year, it’s a little much.