Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 91st Academy Awards (February 24, 2019) TV Show • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

The right would point out how Burnham drops homophobic slurs in his specials and Vines.

2. Say what you will about comic book movies and rom-coms, but I honestly think not including Black Panther and Crazy Rich Asians would be a huge oversight and completely out of tune with the cultural moment we're in. I don't know, maybe not for BP since they're definitely not traditional picks, but to leave them out entirely would be very telling.

Then again, this is the same Academy that recently gave recognition to abusers and racist films.

3. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Feels weird to give Black Panther a BP nom but not nominate Coogler for his incredible direction.

4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

If I could only have one comic book film nominated for Best Picture, it'd be Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. A few animated films have gotten best picture noms before, & Spider-Verse was genuinely stunning top to bottom on a craft level.

Black Panther should get nominated somewhere, though. Logan got a nomination for, what, best adapted screenplay last year? So, not a stretch for it to get something.

Granted, [insert obligatory remark about how awards are lame], so whatever.

Zilla and Jason Tate like this.
  5. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

First Reformed, Eight Grade, Buster Scruggs, and Leave No Trace were my top 4 of last year and I expect them all to be shut out. If Bohemian Rhapsody gets a Best Picture nom, I will throw myself out a window. I don’t know how that movie had convinced anyone that it’s an awards contender. Especially with the Bryan Singer factor.

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  6. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

I'm going to echo all of this, and I'm totally expecting Bohemian, Green Book, and Vice to get a ton of noms because AWARDS SHOWS. ARE. TRASH!

kbeef2 likes this.
  7. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Green Book will absolutely get a bunch of noms but I kind of get it because it apes the motions of a prestige movie decently enough. Bohemian Rhapsody, on the other hand, is blatantly terrible. In a post-Walk Hard world, it seems like everyone should recognize how relentlessly generic and uninspired it is, but according to Deadline it has a decent chance of winning at the GGs tomorrow, so who knows.

Zilla likes this.
  8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Leave No Trace is on Prime now and I’m happy to finally watch that. I still need to see Beale Street, and I’m pretty sure all the others on my list have very low chances of even being nominated.

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I would be down for this

Marx&Recreation likes this.
  10. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Gimme gimme gimme

11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Maya Rudolph would be a fantastic host.

12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

DGA nominations are tomorrow. I think these four have a good chance for nominations there (and at the Oscars as well):

Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born
    Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
    Barry Jenkins, If Beale Street Could Talk
    Adam McKay, Vice

That fifth slot will be tricky. I want to believe that Peter Farrelly won't make the cut, but he definitely has a chance. He definitely won't win, but a nomination is not out of the question. My heart wants the fifth slot to go to either Spike Lee or the Cohens, just because Blackkklansman and Buster Scruggs deserve the nod way more than Green Book does, obviously. I also think they have a realistic shot at beating Farrelly out for the slot. Could see Yorgos Lanthimos sneaking in there as well (and would be more than fine with him over Farrelly, obviously).

Of course, any of the first four could also be swapped out with any of the second four. Of these eight, my preference would be Cuaron, Jenkins, Lee, the Cohens, and Lanthimos. But there's no way that'll happen.

13. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Glad that last night’s wins mean that neither Green Book or Bohemian Rhapsody are likely to win best picture.

Anthony_ likes this.
  14. ALT/MSC/FAN

I think films that win Best Picture at the Globes don't often win at the Oscars too.

It's only happened four times this decade: The Artist, Argo, 12 Years a Slave, and Moonlight.

15. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

The GG's gave Best Drama to Avatar, and no one even likes that movie.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

It's probably going to be Roma The Favourite A Star Is Born or maybe Vice

17. ALT/MSC/FAN

I'm still putting money on A Star is Born, tbh.

18. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

ASIB and Roma are easily the frontrunners

19. Jake Gyllenhaal

Months ago someone posited that A Star is Born will be the 4th movie to win the Big 5 at the Oscars (Picture, Actor, Actress, Director, Screenplay) and I immediately felt that was unlikely... now given the crop of mediocre movies making the nominations at awards, I feel that's more likely now.

20. Films I've seen that should get nominated (for BP):
    Crazy Rich Asians
    Black Panther
    BlacKkKlansman
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    Annihilation

Films I've seen that could get nominated (not necessarily for BP):
    The Favourite
    Mary, Queen of Scots
    Widows
    Tully
    Searching

Films I've seen that are good but have no chance of being nominated:
    Hereditary
    You Were Never Really Here
    Sorry to Bother You
    Mission Impossible: Fallout
    A Quiet Place

Films I still need to see:
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    Roma
    Eighth Grade
    If Beale Street Could Talk
    Beautiful Boy

Films I'm not interested in:
    Green Book
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    A Star is Born
    Welcome to Marwen
    Vice

21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’ll be shocked if it does. There are so many categories that could easily knock it down. I think Cooper for director is definitely the least likely.

22. Jake Gyllenhaal

Yea, I still need to see Roma, Cuaron winning for Gravity was well deserved.

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

At the same time The Shallow is the only guaranteed win it's wild

Glenn Close, Christian Bale, Cuaron and Can You Ever Forgive Me can still win

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  24. Is Spider-Verse not eligible for best song?

25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I need to as well. I don’t think Cooper losing would be any kind of upset. Screenplay also tends to be the category closest to my heart and where they give films that deserve to win everything but won’t their due, so I’m definitely hoping for something else there.

Honestly I feel like this year could either be one of the most forgettable years or one of the most surprising and awesome if they can pull some surprises out. Every category going like Moonlight over La La Land would be sick.