Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 90th Academy Awards (March 4, 2018) TV Show • Page 53

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Jan 16, 2018.

1. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

anyone who watched him in the WWE knows he has exceptional mic and ad libbing skills.

2. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

But there are two audiences for an award show like this. There’s the at home TV audience and a room full of (often series) industry people (who help set the tone for the audience watching at home).

My guess is that at some point the cast of a well liked TV series or film may host. Imagine something like “Hosted by SNL Alumni” kinda odd thing. Widens the talent pool, TV and films actors, history of characters to pull from, accepted by actors and musicians (because many people have guest hosted and appeared). I know it’s the wrong Network, but that’s just a sample idea I came up with in two minutes.

3. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

He plays himself in the upcoming movie Fighting with My Family, which I think comes out around the time the Oscars occur

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  4. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Whoa, Ricky G volunteers to host while simultaneously droppin' the C-word (I know its more common amongst Brits but dude, read the room)

CarpetElf likes this.
  5. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

2edgy4me

incognitojones likes this.
  6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Gervais is an ass but: fair to lambast the Mel Gibson nomination when things he’s said and done are as bad and worse as anything Kevin Hart ever did or said

mad, CarpetElf, chewbacca110 and 2 others like this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

The past two best actors have been abusers and also best supporting a few years back went to an cisgender abuser playing a trans woman so yeah they definitely have problems in that regard

8. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Here in lies one of the many problems with these awards.

The award is for best performance, not kindest person. People can’t mix that up. There is a whole casting department involved in booking talent. Part of their job is to filter out problematic people. That can mean people who aren’t good at their acting job, finding the right person for the part, hopefully willing to promote the film with the Pr department depending on contracts, and being a good person.

Did you see what last on that list?

The film industry is not a normal industry. It doesn’t excuse any behaviour, it just has more blurred lines that people are used to.

9. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

How about RuPaul?

Davjs likes this.
  10. Nathan

Yeah we all want movies to not cast bad people in the first place but it’s not like these awards actually go to the best performances or movies anyway so the least the Academy could do is attempt to not reward and affirm bad people.

11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Again, judging art awards is kinda weird to begin with. I am on board with acknowging standouts, it just all gets muffled when you put amazing performances against each bother because scenarios are so different.

I get your point. The who’s a good person and who’s not it’s blurred in that industry though. That’s part of the problem with creating/working in a fictitious world.

12. Nathan

There’s nothing blurry about what we know a lot of these people have said and done.

CarpetElf likes this.
  13. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

There's actually speculation that they won't have a host at all, and instead, just have different celebrities do each portion of the job, which they've actually done three times before. I honestly wouldn't be opposed to that.

Would love to see Patton Oswalt, Lin Manuel Miranda, or Tiffany Haddish do it if they had to go with an individual host though.

14. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

15. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Yes there is sadly. Even in their own heads. Do you work in the industry?

16. Nathan

I used to. I guess I’m not sure what you mean by “blurry”. We know what Mel Gibson has said to people. That he is given backing and accolades with no accountability is wrong.

And you keep saying Hollywood is different than other industries... which it is, but not really in this way. A huge part of what became clear in the #MeToo movement was that corporations, businesses, and organizations knowingly giving work and a platform to abusive men is commonplace. Sports, food, politics, etc. I guess I don’t understand your defense of Hollywood as “different” or somehow exempt from critique.

mad and chewbacca110 like this.
  18. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Huge gervais fan. I think he was the last time someone hosted and I actually got excited for the host

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  19. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Hey did you guys know Ricky Gervais was an atheist?

20. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

domotime2 likes this.
  21. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It is not exempt. It is just harder for people to relate to. I’ve had some great experiences with A List stars. But I’ve had some experiences where you just shake you head and wonder what’s wrong with this person, or the sycophants that’s around them.

Most people can’t relate to an industry where you needlessly put yourself in danger, or kiss or have sex scenes with co-workers. Where you change you body shape to get into character, or you exploit yourself for work, money and fame.

It just leads to a potential for a lot of bad decisions. Obviously, the things that came out last year, but stuff like guys like Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Heath Ledger, or Robin Williams and Carrie Fisher. The amount of divorce and broken families is crazy. The entitlement becomes an interesting thing.

From my experience, stars who’ve made it are often very sweet. Helen Mirren and Sigourney Weaver we’re both fantastic for example.

There are others, who are still just very full of themselves and living in that blurred reality. But when you see that blurred reality around them you understand why.

22. Nathan

I don't think anyone would argue that the lifestyle of being a famous actor is unique and leads to some self-destructive habits or an inflated sense of entitlement and self, which is a contributing factor to the harm some important people in the industry would inflict on others. But right and wrong still exist and when we have all heard Mel Gibson say things like this (content warning) to another human being, or claim that Jewish people are responsible for all war, you'd hope that an institution of the industry would decline to recognize his work, however good it may be. Woody Allen, Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein's names are attached to some of the most incredible works of art ever made, but knowing what we now know about them, yes, they should not be recognized and acclaimed for that work, especially when they gained power and notoriety because of that work and then utilized it to hurt people without consequence for decades.

Your personal experiences aren't really relevant. I know the lifestyle major celebrities lead is unique and there are unique struggles that come with it. I don't care how "blurred" their reality is, though, when they do things that are clearly and explicitly horrible, they should face consequence. Besides, as you point out, there are others who live similar lifestyles who don't hurt people the same ways.

Mary V, EASheartsVinyl and CarpetElf like this.
  23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I don't want to hear his Boy Erased jokes

TJ Wells likes this.
  24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Producers continue to invest with Mel Gibson because they will make money from it.

25. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, Bryan singer just got signed to direct Red Sonja. What are we even supposed to do at this point?

incognitojones likes this.