Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 90th Academy Awards (March 4, 2018) TV Show • Page 50

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Jan 16, 2018.

1. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I can see Black Panther being nominated for best adapted screenplay or best costume design. It being a Marvel film already disqualifies it for best picture.

It’s not the best film of 2018 so I’m not upset about it. I don’t expect Marvel films to ever be nominated for best picture.

2. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like you guys need to follow Oscar season a little more closely. black panther is such a shoo in it’s not even funny.

3. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Black Panther gets major Oscar cred because of Ryan Coogler, even if they refused to nominate Creed. That + the fact that it’s the highest grossing movie in America in 2018 and the fact that the Academy is still reeling from Oscars So White means it will probably get nominated. Idk if it deserves to be but there are certainly worse movies that will get nominated.

4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

As far as it’s cultural impact (which BP is more of an indicator of recently) I think t absolutely deserves a nomination. But it won’t be in my top ten.

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Dodger likes this.
  6. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I got a good feeling Black Panther is gonna get nominated for Best Picture

7. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I can see PB getting best costume and IW getting best visual effects for Thanos. I’d like for a Marvel film to get a best picture nom but it seems like the academy likes to snub comic book films.

8. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Probably because marvel hasn’t made a movie good enough to be nominated. Though to be fair they’ve nominated a lot of movies I like less than marvel movies so maybe I’m wrong

9. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I think there is a legitimate chance A star is born could win the big five, although ultimately I think cuaron is winning director.

10. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Wow, bold prediction

11. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I mean. People are losing their minds over it on Twitter. I know it’s festival fever but still.

12. mad

I was right. Prestigious

question for people who know stuff about the Oscars - what are the odds Toni Collette gets a nom?

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

traditionally the Oscars aren't really into horror, Natalie Portman, Jodie Foster and Kathy Bates are like the only people to get best actress for horror

14. Jake Gyllenhaal

She did get a nod for Sixth Sense

mad likes this.
  15. Lucas27

Trusted

None of the predictions I see online are predicting a nom for Toni Colette, which is ridiculous. Her performance is one of the best I’ve ever seen.

16. Jake Gyllenhaal

I don't think Hereditary made that much of an impact for audiences, let alone awards voters

17. mad

I was right. Prestigious

lame

18. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Gonna get this out pre inevitable backlash, A Star is Born is great. Also First Man had incredible cinematography

primavera likes this.
  19. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Only soapboxes I can stand on right now:

I hope Won't You Be My Neighbor gets a Best Documentary nod.

I hope Toni Collette gets a Best Actress nod for Hereditary.

I hope Incredibles 2 doesn't overshadow Isle of Dogs too much for Best Animated Feature, because the latter is a better movie.

Lady Gaga will absolutely get a Best Actress nod, and my prediction is that she'll win, and I'll be very happy because she was great.

Black Panther doesn't deserve a Best Picture nomination, but it will get one.

chewbacca110 and I Am Mick like this.
  20. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Won't You Be My Neighbor seems like a safe choice for Documentary to me

21. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I had a lot of issues with Isle of Dogs and a good amount but less with Incredibles 2

kbeef2 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Art awards are always a tricky subject. Its not like you go into anything with a level playing field. I do think that acknkowledging skill and greatness is important. The competition and appeasement side of things kinda water it down at times.

I say this as someone with experience.

23. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Thought isle of dogs was very very very okay wes Anderson. Thought incredibles 2 was very very very okay Pixar

Both were good though

24. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Black Panther and Mission Impossible were exceptionally strong blockbusters that will be better than probably at least four movies that will end up getting nominations. Annihilation was also super good. I've missed a ton this year though, especially in the last couple months. I have a lot of catching up to do. BlacKKKlansman is probably my favorite movie that's also a safe bet for a nomination.

Davjs likes this.
  25. Jake Gyllenhaal

At this point I have 5 movies I consider favorites of the year... Annihilation, Eighth Grade, BlacKKKlansman, Hereditary, and Sorry To Bother You, which could have writing and tech award noms. I know it’s a long shot but I’d love for Toni Collette to get a nom.