Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 90th Academy Awards (March 4, 2018) TV Show • Page 49

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Jan 16, 2018.

1. I went 17/24 on my guesses. Great to see BR2049 (Deakins!) and Dunkirk get all those technical awards. Peele's win was very cool. Happy for GDT. Ceremony itself was kind of blah.

2. Dog with a Blog

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  3. Just remembered Annie has dated two Hollywood actresses (not, uh, not at once--you know what I mean) so maybe her presence beside Sufjan performing a song from a movie about a gay couple is more meaningful than I initially thought.

4. Maverick

Trusted

That was a fun night! I wasn't at the ceremony but I got to cater the Governor's Ball after and I saw a lot of very cool people. Once I saw Mark Hamill I was like, "Ok, my life is complete now." and getting to see Alejandro Innaritu and Guillermo Del Toro hanging out made my Mexican pride swell! Not to mention right at the beginning of the night seeing Tom Holland and Zendaya strolling in hanging out by the bar and overhearing Timothee Chalamet talking about how this is the best oscars in years (was it though?) And Andy Serkis! Christopher freaking Walken! Danny Glover! Matt Ross! Catherine Keener! Laura Dern! So very cool.

5. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

I loved Get Out but watching people trash The Shape of Water on twitter is melting my brain.

Apparently Del Toro is a white guy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  6. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

is he not?

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Jesse West likes this.
  8. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

skogsraet likes this.
  9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Would he mark ‘Caucasian’ on surveys? I dunno. We should ask him.

10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

mad, nfdv2, domotime2 and 3 others like this.
  11. Dog with a Blog

It's hard being mexican and filling out a form tbh. I'm half mexican and half white and there is a box for white, there is a box for hispanic, but the box for two or more races says, "two or more races (but not Hispanic)."

12. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Do you just mark the “other” section or pick one over the other?

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  13. Dog with a Blog

I just check two boxes usually even though you aren’t supposed to lol

justin. likes this.
  14. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

this was a weird year for the best picture nominees. I always think the most iconic and or most memorable nominee should take the award. Like when you look at the list of winners you say "oh yeah...that was definitely the movie of 2017". Im not saying the marvel movies should win...but i am saying movies like La La Land, Boyhood, Mad Max etc should win more so than Kings Speech, Spotlight, Artist. Good but extremely forgettable films.

i know tetra has talked about this before...especially with Kings Speech. Its controversial for me to say La La land should have won over Moonlight, because in the end, Moonlight is a better movie, but La La Land was an acheivement in itself and i'd have no problem if it had won the oscar in the end. Moonlight isn't as bad as kings speech winning, but it's on the same level of what im tlaking about.

15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

La La Land was more of last year’s King’s Speech (the safe, Oscar-baity, middle-of-the-road film, only it also had the added element of Hollywood-worship that the Academy loves) than Moonlight was though. La La Land is not a bad film by any means but it was the crowd-pleasing pick in that same vein. I was shocked it didn’t win.

16. Morrissey

Trusted

Moonlight is actually good, though.

The issue is that the Oscars exist in this strange realm of taste. They are not a People's Choice Award, because very popular movies very rarely win, but they very rarely reward the most critically acclaimed film, skipping obvious favorites like Brokeback Mountain, Saving Private Ryan, The Social Network, and so on. The only real consistent factors are heavy promotional campaigns and scenes in the movie that talks about how great movies are.

incognitojones likes this.
  17. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I think we're in agreement here cause yeah, this oscars world is this odd middle ground that pretty much pleases no one. Obvioulsy neither of us are saying we think Iron Man 3 needs to be winning awards just because its popular, but, yeah when it coems to movies like Private Ryan and Social Network (especially social network), i think the academy is really missing the boat here. Really great movies that when you look back you say "yeah...that's a good call for 1999/2007".

But then they dont even go ahead and pick the most critically acclaimed movies even.

I dont think there was a good answer for this year. I think all the movies were on the same level, with get out being the most unique outlier, but even i'd have a tough time giving it a best movie award.

18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

gotta wait until 2020 when the only two franchises (star wars and marvel) that will ever win have big eligible movies out

20. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Lol, this will never actually happen. This just lets them save some kind of face (to themselves) before getting rid of it next year.

justin. likes this.
  21. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Thank god

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  22. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Thank God [2]

kbeef2 and Mrplum5089 like this.
    SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Thats a good point about that category being an easy way for certain movies to get snubbed of best picture noms but i cannot imagine black panther even coming close to a best picture nomination let alone winning.

justin. likes this.
  25. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Black Panther, 1000%, will be nominated for best picture.