Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 90th Academy Awards (March 4, 2018) TV Show • Page 47

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Jan 16, 2018.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

also a movie about fucking a Fish Man once best picture and someone won an Oscar for writing a movie where someone fucks a peach and we should appreciate that for a second

mad, OhTheWater, Mary V and 3 others like this.
  2. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

do you honestly think that’s how her name is spelled

3. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

eating a can of peaches rn

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  4. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

I love that CMBYN ended the stigma that apricots are old people fruit. Fucking delicious

5. primavera

dances with wolves beat goodfellas
    forrest gump beat pulp fiction
    crash beat brokeback mountain

it’s nothing new

iCarly Rae Jepsen and CarpetElf like this.
  6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

This was the films real measage

7. primavera

the real message is psychedelic furs have some bops

8. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I kinda dislike the new format of unlimited movies being nominated. Yeah, it allows unconventional things like Get Out to be nominated, but then again they have no shot to win so what’s the point? Does it help studios drive up ticket sales to say “look! Best picture nominee”

CarpetElf likes this.
  9. primavera

it’s been a decade of this format

10. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I know that. I’m saying, what’s the point? I think back to District 9.

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Avatar was nominated for 9 awards, it's meaningless but nice when something worthy wins

13. Morrissey

Trusted

You could give the Best Picture 50 slots and they would still miss out on the vital films of a year. It is not a numbers issue, it is a fundamental issue of what they represent.

14. Wait you are asking what’s the point of having more good movies nominated and not having movies miss out that should be nominated and given recognition? What? Yes ‘Get Out’ and others being nominated is awesome.

primavera likes this.
  15. alim

i would have been a lawyer

Totally agree that Lady Bird was robbed of something.

16. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Sorry i accidentally misspelled her name. Do you honestly have to be that big of a dick about it?

17. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I agree with this too honestly

18. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Lotttt of people who were saying the Oscars are meaningless a few weeks ago seem to care an awful lot tonight lol

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zilla, Mrplum5089, Dodger and 7 others like this.
  19. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Usually how it goes.

fenway89 and Anthony_ like this.
  20. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

The limit is actually 10 now. No less than 5, no more than 10.

21. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

SHOCKED Shersha didnt win!! I had margot at #2 also.

22. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I watched Three Billboards on a plane and nearly every word was dubbed that it was like watching a completely different movie.

23. Final thoughts:

None of my favorites won in the acting categories, but to be fair, i haven't seen a lot of the movies that weren't also nominated for best picture. I have absolutely zero interest in ever seeing Three Billboards so I'll never know if McDormand and Rockwell deserved it, but I guess it's good enough that it didn't win anything else. I love Janney, so I guess I'll see I, Tonya eventually and be happy for her. The only acting win that really irks me is Goldman. He better take notes from Affleck, I don't want to see his face anywhere near the ceremony next year.

Yeah, PTA should win something eventually, but even though I liked Phantom Thread a lot at first, I haven't thought about it as much as I have Lady Bird. In a more perfect world, I'd say Peele for writing, Greta for directing, and Guillermo for picture, or basically any other combination of those three. I guess 2/3 ain't bad. I was kind of hoping Logan would win for adapted just to legitimize superhero films, but hey, Call Me by Your Name is stellar. Coco for animated and song was a pretty sure thing, I think? As far as technical achievements go, I may not have enjoyed Dunkirk, but I can see how it won for those. I haven't seen Blade Runner 2049, so eh. I just wish Baby Driver would've won at least one. All in all, really happy for Guillermo, Peele, CMBYN, and Coco, and just sort of meh towards everything else. Except Oldman. That should not have happened, this year of all years.

Also lol at the ceremony starting early and going over. Psst, it's not the speeches, it's those damn montages. Did we really need one about military films? Really?

24. musicguy87

I really enjoyed The Shape of Water. Glad it came out on top. Happy for Del Toro too.

michael_gatto likes this.
  25. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Coco won best song. nothing else mattered to me.

fenway89 likes this.