Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 90th Academy Awards (March 4, 2018) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Anthony_ Jan 16, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 16, 2018)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Awarding films that released in 2017, the 90th Academy Awards will once again be hosted by Jimmy Kimmel.

The nominees will be announced on Tuesday, January 23rd; the broadcast will take place on Sunday, March 4.

*DISCLAIMER*:
    Unless otherwise explicitly noted therein, all listing/predictions represent what the poster thinks will be nominated/win, not what he or she thinks should be nominated/win.

2. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

in here

3. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Putting in my prediction of the Best Picture nominees.. we'll see how close

Dunkirk
    The Post
    Get Out
    Three Billboards
    Lady Bird
    The Shape of Water
    Darkest Hour
    Call Me By Your Name

4. primavera

Dunkirk
    The Post
    Three Billboards
    Mudbound
    Ladybird
    The Shape of Water
    Darkest Hour
    The Florida Project

5. Anthony_

Dunkirk
    The Post
    Three Billboards
    Lady Bird
    The Shape of Water
    The Florida Project
    Darkest Hour
    Call Me By Your Name

Only going with 8, so we'll see how that turns out.

6. primavera

for the record, mine wasn’t in any sort of order and certainly wasn’t my most likely/favorite order

7. Anthony_

I think it’s understood that when talking about the Oscars we aren’t saying what we think should win/be nominated, but what we think will win/be nominated.

primavera likes this.
  8. primavera

figured, just thought i’d clarify, ha

9. Anthony_

I'll add it to the OP

primavera likes this.
  10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

let's get this dumpster fire going

11. Anthony_

Well, it looks like Three Billboards is the Best Picture frontrunner now, with that SAG win. The Actors branch of the Academy is by far the biggest, if they go for it then it wins.

12. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

It’s not the biggest indicator for BP wins with Best Ensemble. Since 2000 nine SAG winners went on to win BP

13. primavera

yeah PGA is a much bigger indicator for BP, but that’s upsetting as far as actress and supporting actor go

14. Anthony_

Wasn't talking from a historical perspective, just a sheer numbers perspective. Broad support from the actors can tip a movie over the edge in years without dominant early-season frontrunners. Overwhelming support from the actors is probably what gave Spotlight the edge in 2015 (when The Big Short won the PGA and The Revenant won the DGA).

15. Morrissey

Trusted

Three Billboards would be a throwback to the older Oscars. They haven't rewarded a truly terrible film like that since The King's Speech in 2010.

Makoto, jkauf and primavera like this.
  16. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Damn, in a race that is teeming with great films/performances, this is shaping up to be the shittiest Oscars ever.

jkauf likes this.
  17. Anthony_

That's a huge exaggeration, I think. Way worse films than Three Billboards have been selected in the past.

18. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I agree with that, for sure. I was ultimately positive on 3 Billboards, though I didn't love it. But the strength of the movies/performances that are going to be shafted is more universal than in most years, I think.

jkauf likes this.
  19. Anthony_

Hey, Pulp Fiction got beat out by Baby Boomer Nostalgia Self-Satisfaction Wankfest. Doesn't get much worse than that in terms of the quality of what lost vs. the quality of what won. Goodfellas lost to Dances With Wolves. The 90s were bad.

TJ Wells likes this.
  20. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I just gotta remember, I know what the best movies/performances were of the year. That's all that really matters. It's just ridiculous to think that any other movie deserves best picture than Get Out. If BP was made to reflect our society, there would be no other choice.

21. Morrissey

Trusted

There are plenty.

primavera likes this.
  22. Anthony_

I loved Get Out too, it was a great film, but Phantom Thread and Call Me By Your Name were definitely better, just to name two. But I doubt Phantom Thread is even nominated so I dunno. It's fun to try and make predictions but yeah, like you said, I don't put any stock in the actual picks.

23. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I don't think Get Out was the best film of the year (though it was my #3), but it absolutely represents us as a society in 2018 better than any other film. Obviously that's not how the Oscars go, but I feel like it's how they SHOULD.

24. Anthony_

Idk, I never bought the idea that Best Picture should go to something emblematic of society in a given year or anything like that. It should go to the best film. I thought that this year the best film was about a British dressmaker in 1950's London; doesn't get any less representative of us as a society in 2018 than that lol.

25. Lucas27

Trusted

My predictions (in order):

Dunkirk
    Three Billboards
    Lady Bird
    Call Me By Your Name
    Get Out
    The Shape of Water
    Phantom Thread
    The Post
    The Florida Project
    Darkest Hour

Is this race as stacked as it looks? I could see any of the first six on this list winning BP and it wouldn't shock me.