Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 90's Music Thread • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Mar 31, 2016.

1. ugman_2000 Sep 22, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 23, 2017)
    ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

It’s a great summer album, lots of hippy vibes throughout. Their follow ups great too, it’s a shame Shannon died so young.

92 has some great albums, these are a couple of standouts off the top of my head:

Alice In Chains - Dirt
    Stone Temple Piolots - Core
    Gin Blossoms - New Misserable Experience
    Soul Asylum - Grave Dancers Union
    Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion
    Rem - Automatic For The People

I love your lists you do in this thread, it usually makes me go back and revisit some albums.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Good! It's fun to run through year by year and make these lists, but it's even more fun to talk about them and discover more. STP, REM, Gin are all on my list to listen to so far for 1992, definitely will dig into the other ones too though!

ugman_2000 likes this.
  3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

dammit by blink turned 20 today lol

i also have to check out the gin blossoms

ugman_2000 likes this.
  4. cherrywaves

Trusted

I will die on the hill that the first Gin Blossoms album is spectacularly written. Lyrically it feels like a precursor to some early Alkaline Trio

riotspray likes this.
  5. ugman_2000 Sep 23, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 23, 2017)
    ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like that album had some influence on this scene. I hear some of that sound in bands like The Get Up Kids and Saves The Day. The Ergs do a great cover of Hey Jealousy too.

6. SVXDan83

Regular

I agree about '92... Grave Dancers Union, Automatic and New Miserable Experience were some of my earliest introductions to "Alt. Rock". Those albums will always have endless fond memories... if you could have played CDs until they wore out, those discs would have been trashed & replaced many times over!

ugman_2000 likes this.
  8. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Been playing Hootie and the Blowfish alot lately. So good still.

anonimito likes this.
  9. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

god, I miss the 90s... I was so into the music - it meant so much.

Dave Pirner and his hair was as sexy as Chris Cornells. It was such a fun time.

And i never realized how great 3rd eye blinds album really was. But when Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Soundgarden hit mainstream... my god.

Weezer in 94, RHCP in 91, Janes in 90, man..... the fun times.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  10. anonimito

Abelian Supporter

This album is 20 years old today:

ugman_2000 likes this.
  11. atlas

Trusted

Why did no one ever tell me how sick Big Wreck are

12. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Halitosis Jones likes this.
  13. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Always gotten the impression that band stood by as their main songwriter drank himself to death, profiting off him for decades to come. Weird story with few details, honestly surprised there hasn’t been some kinda podcast about it

14. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

Every couple years i get in a big Counting Crows mood and listen to August and Everything After on repeat.

15. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

16. bradsonemanband Jun 15, 2023
    (Last edited: Jun 20, 2023)
    I made a playlist on Spotify of full 90s albums I've never listened to. Most of them are one hit wonder bands where I only know their one or two singles. I go into them assuming there must be some decent hidden gems. I like randomly picking one or two albums to listen to on airplanes especially.

Anyway, I went for a walk the other day after work and decided to listen to Floored by Sugar Ray for the first time. It's the first Sugar Ray album I've ever listened to. Going into it only knowing "Fly", I was definitely shocked hahaha. Turns out, the album is actually fucking great and "Fly" is the only song on the entire thing that sounds like that. All the rest are just punk rock jams. Well, except for the last song, which is just "Fly" without the reggae stuff in it haha.

But yeah, that one was definitely the most surprising thing I've come across on this playlist so far. I've listened to the full album like 3 times now over the last few days.

3 of my favorite songs on it:
    American Pig
    Stand and Deliver
    Cash

tomdelonge, hairtaylor and anonimito like this.
  17. atlas

Trusted

Why the are angry and horny opposite ends of the spectrum. You can’t put Deftones anywhere that makes sense that way

SuddenUrgeJoey likes this.
  18. I listened to Chumbawamba’s album Tubthumper for the first time all the way through. I was pretty surprised by how many songs I actually really liked. I ended up liking 7 of the 12 tracks enough to save them on Spotify. The little interlude things between just about every song made the album feel a little longer than I’d like (it’s 58:52!) but yeah, there’s some really great ones on here.

3 of my favorites:
    Tubthumping (obvi)
    Amnesia
    The Good Ship Lifestyle

anonimito likes this.
  19. I also listened to Sixpence None The Richer’s self titled album for the first time a few days ago.

On first listen, there wasn’t a lot that grabbed me. But I want to listen again because I think there’s actually more I’ll end up liking after a couple more listens. There was a handful of songs though that I really liked.

My fav 3 though were:
    Kiss Me
    There She Goes
    We Have Forgotten

I reeeeally liked “We Have Forgotten.” I’ve actually gone back and listened to that one a few times.

anonimito likes this.