Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 90's Music Thread • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Mar 31, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

It's a really, really fantastic piece of music

2. irthesteve May 4, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 21, 2017)
    irthesteve

1995 is a weird one for me, as much as I tried to... I couldn't find a 20th album that I liked enough to add to the list, if anyone has suggestions of albums from 1995 I might be into, throw them at me!!

1995 mix

1. Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger
    2. No Doubt - Hey You
    3. Gin Blossoms - Til' I Hear It From You
    4. Rancid - Ruby Soho
    5. Dishwalla - Counting Blue Cars
    6. Mariah Carey - Always Be My Baby
    7. Deep Blue Something - Breakfast At Tiffany's
    8. Tracy Chapman - Give Me One Good Reason
    9. Skee-Lo - I Wish
    10. The Presidents of the United States of America - Peaches
    11. Radiohead - High and Dry
    12. Green Day - Walking Contridiction
    13. Collective Soul - December
    14. Garbage - Stupid Girl
    15. Toad The Wet Sprocket - Good Intentions
    16. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - My Friends
    17. Del Amitri - Roll To Me
    18. Everclear - Santa Monica
    19. The Rembrandts - I'll Be There For You
    20. The Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight

1995 Favorite Albums

1. No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
    2. Radiohead - The Bends
    3. Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
    4. Green Day - Insomniac
    5. Everclear - Sparkle and Fade
    6. The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
    7. No Doubt - The Beacon Street Collection
    8. Rancid - ...And Out Come The Wolves
    9. Jawbreaker - Dear You
    10. Björk - Post
    11. Moby - Everything Is Wrong
    12. Queen - Made In Heaven
    13. Blur - The Great Escape
    14. The Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic
    15. Ben Harper - Fight For Your Mind
    16. Collective Soul - Collective Soul
    17. Lifetime - Hello Bastards
    18. Poe - Hello
    19. The Presidents Of The United States Of America - The Presidents Of The United States Of America

3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

In indie music I have Pavement's Wowee Zowee, Guided by Voices Alien Lanes and Fugazi's Red Medicine for 95

4. irthesteve

I could never get into Pavement, and tried a few GBV songs from that album which weren't really my thing, but I haven't listened to much Fugazi ever, always felt like I probably should huh

5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

If you try Fugazi, there's probably at least one album for you, but Red Medicine is tied with the Argument for their best album. I usually rec going in order with them tho

irthesteve likes this.
  6. SVXDan83

Regular

Agree that 1995 was a bit of a mixed bag. Some that I would (probably) include that aren't already mentioned here are:
    Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five
    Collective Soul - Collective Soul
    Everclear - Sparkle & Fade (maybe)
    Soul Asylum - Let Your Dim Light Shine
    Sponge - Wax Ecstatic
    Pink Floyd - Pulse (Do Live album counts? As far as live albums go, I played this one a lot. I don't know that it is truly an essential Pink Floyd recording, though?)

7. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

I am a 90s music person. I just fully realized the scope of that like last week. Everything I listen to is either from or near-overtly inspired by the 90s. I'm fine with it.

8. irthesteve

I'll give it a shot!

9. irthesteve

Everclear is definitely there already ;-). I like Ben Folds a lot, but I don't really like that album. Same with Collective Soul, don't like the full album quite enough. Haven't ever dug into the full albums for Soul Asylum or Sponge, might have to give a shot. And lastly, I think live albums are good to go if they are good enough, I've never listened to that one however. I need to get deeper into my Pink Floyd listening as well, only have heard 2-3 in full

10. SVXDan83

Regular

Oops missed Everclear! When I was first getting into Pink Floyd, I felt like Pulse gave me everything I wanted at the time. There were a bunch of the classic Floyd hits on the first disc and the second disc was Dark Side of the Moon performed in its entirety. I also really love The Division Bell, which came out the year before. Pulse came from that tour and had really great live versions of those songs.

I haven't listened to those Sponge and Soul Asylum albums in a while, so I don't know how well they still hold up. Maybe they're not as good as I remember them? I also noticed Goo Goo Dolls A Boy Named Goo came out in 1995, but for reasons I believe already discussed here, it still doesn't make the cut for me!

irthesteve likes this.
  11. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Anybody wanna give me a list of lesser known 90s rock records/bands? Indie/college rock I suppose but whatever you got is appreciated thanks!

Joel likes this.
  12. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Quicksand - Slip
    Jets to Brazil- Orange Rhyming Dictionary
    Melvins- Bullhead, Houdini
    The Promise Ring- Nothing Feels Good

bradsonemanband and Cody like this.
  13. irthesteve

I forgot to keep posting my mixes! :-)

1994 mix

1. Blues Traveler - Run-Around
    2. Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories - Stay
    3. The Offspring - Come Out And Play
    4. TLC - Waterfalls
    5. Barenaked Ladies - Life, In A Nutshell
    6. Hootie & The Blowfish - I Only Wanna Be With You
    7. Sophie B. Hawkins - As I Lay Me Down
    8. Soundgarden - Spoonman
    9. Green Day - Basket Case
    10. Toad The Wet Sprocket - Something's Always Wrong
    11. The Notorious B.I.G. - Juicy
    12. Beck - Loser
    13. Nine Inch Nails - Closer
    14. R.E.M. - What's The Frequency, Kenneth?
    15. Seal - Kiss From A Rose
    16. Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song
    17. Sublime - Greatest-Hits
    18. Beastie Boys - Sabotage
    19. Weezer - Buddy Holly
    20. Pearl Jam - Better Man

1994 Favorite albums

1. Weezer - Weezer
    2. The Offspring - Smash
    3. Green Day - Dookie
    4. Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York
    5. Barenaked Ladies - Maybe You Should Drive
    6. Sublime - Robbin' The Hood
    7. Bush - Sixteen Stone
    8. Blur - Parklife
    9. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    10. Hootie & The Blowfish - Cracked Rear View
    11. Danielle Breisbos - Arrive All Over You
    12. Soundgarden - Superunknown
    13. Outkast - SouthernPlayalistiCadillacMuzik
    14. Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime
    15. Toad The Wet Sprocket - Sulcinea
    16. The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
    17. Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
    18. Ben Harper - Welcome To The Cruel World
    19. R.E.M. - Monster
    20. Nas - Illmatic

ugman_2000 and DarkHotline like this.
  14. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

The rest of Cranberries' output as good as Zombie?

15. irthesteve

Linger is fun, and I also know Dreams and Promises.... but Zombie is the best

JRGComedy likes this.
  16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Jw, how does Monster stack up to the rest of their discog that includes Bill? I think that's the only one that has Bill Berry that I've yet to listen to, the way people described it always made me think maybe it was an album to steer away from. Can't imagine heavy/grungey REM tbh at least not in the way it's been typically described to me

17. irthesteve

So I actually haven't started diving into their full albums until recently, even though I LOVE both greatest hits albums... just always been a daunting task. And now that I am diving in.... I'm doing it backwards hahaah.

All that being said, I dig the album, not as much as Automatic, but I still really dig it. Hard to really compare it to much else though since I haven't heard it all, ya know?

18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

no, i definitely agree their discography was daunting. I started from the beginning because tbh didn't see anyone saying a whole lot of good about their recent output and for a band that long running I kind of felt like they had to run out of steam at some point? so i've listened to maybe one post bill berry album and it wasn't very memorable.

I'll check it out, I think Murmur is probably my favorite with Automatic and Document not far behind. Slightly under Automatic is not a bad place to be, my bad for neglecting this one

19. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Their first album had some solid ass bangers

JRGComedy likes this.
  20. irthesteve

It's kinda funny, I know that all their best material is that 80s stuff, but because I started with the latest albums.... I really found a ton to enjoy there. Maybe it was that I had no sense of "they changed" or got worse, but I enjoyed them for what they are... from what I have listened to thus far, all the albums have been good to great and definitely diverse

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  21. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I think Kurts suicide led to a lot darker tone to Monster too as that happened while they were recording it and Stipe was friends with Kurt. If memory serves me right I think Stipe tried to get Kurt to go out to the Studio with them to try and help distract him from his problems at the time.

I like Monster but it’s not my favourite R.E.M. album. That probably goes to either Document or Automatic For The People. The whole run of albums between those two are fantastic though.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Will definitely check it out, because I live in Georgia there's never not used REM CDs for cheap. Like two bucks a pop.

ugman_2000 and irthesteve like this.
  23. DevilsTeeth

That comment is as ignorant as people who say all rap is awful and sounds the same.

But to each their own.

24. ugman_2000 Sep 22, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 22, 2017)
    ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Blind Melon’s self titled debut came out 25 years ago today. If you haven’t heard it before or if you only know that band for No Rain, I suggest checking it out as they were so much more than that big hit (even if that hit is a total banger).

I’ve always loved this performance of theirs from Woodstock 94 it incorporates a good mix of their songs from both albums.

25. irthesteve

I'm listening through 1992 stuff right now actually, and that one is on my list! I've never heard the whole thing, so definitely interested

ugman_2000 likes this.