Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 90's Music Thread • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Mar 31, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Will Smith's getting jiggy wit it reminded me that in my first semester I wrote a paper on his song Miami that was assigned to me

irthesteve and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  2. jorbjorb

7 rings

filter - take a picture is probably one of my favourite tunes haha

3. No AIC and Mother Love bone love ?

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I don't know what this sentence means, haha

5. PauLo

43% Burnt

Only good music to come out of the 90's was mostly rap and r'n'b. Everything else was terrible.

6. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

Return of the Mack is the only good song to come out in the past century tbh

7. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

this is so false

bradsonemanband likes this.
  8. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Yeah wow I feel like most genres were flourishing in the 90s

9. Joel Apr 19, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 19, 2017)
    Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Dino Jr, Superchunk, Built To Spill, Modest Mouse, Pavement, Archers of Loaf, Wrens, Guided By Voices, Grandaddy, Promise Ring, Texas Is the Reason, Cap'n Jazz, Mineral...

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Not to mention a bunch of increased visibility from female artists in many genres, almost all of which have classic albums. Bjork, PJ Harvey, Lauryn Hill (though they did point out rap already), Sade, TLC...That's the shortlist

11. PauLo

43% Burnt

OK, Jungle too.

12. SVXDan83

Regular

Jar of Flies is probably one of my favorite EP's ever made. I never totally got into Mother Love Bone, but I greatly appreciate the music path they paved for Pearl Jam to come into existence and, tragically, Temple of the Dog. Crown of Thorns is an incredible song. If I had to take only one thing from their catalog, it would probably be that.

Fuck You Aurora likes this.
  13. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

My friends are big jungle heads and always rinse classics, it rules. I'm really into 90s house myself - Moodymann, Glenn Undergtound, Kerri Chandler, Mood II Swing... was a great era for dance music in general

14. cherrywaves

Trusted

I think Love Deluxe is my favorite album of all time. I've listened to that album an obscene amount

15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Will you talk about it I've never heard anyone gush about it (though I've never looked)

16. cherrywaves

Trusted

I mean it has an airy, jazzy vibe that really just vibes with me on a level that's hard to explain. Perfect nighttime record. Here's a pretty good review that encapsulates some of my feelings pretty well:

Sade: Love Deluxe Album Review | Pitchfork

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Hard to explain is right. That was an album I grew up with via my parents listening habits, so I've never really been able to separate it from that sort of formative comfort. I just really like it but can't really articulate much about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    that's a good review though, I do like that guys writing.

cherrywaves likes this.
  18. cherrywaves

Trusted

Oh haha I'm an idiot, I read your post as if you haven't heard the album before. I think "comfort" is a very good way to put it! Having thought about it, there's for sure a romantic ideal within the album's sound, not just within the lyrics. It's very much dreamlike for me, which is what makes it so appealing. Plus I mean, her voice is phenomenal!

(And like two people posted in my thread for her :[)

19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I think I had an implicit knowledge of the romantic aspects of them, but only because the music and vocals were often pretty...Sensual, for lack of a better word? What I got most out of these songs (and from the greatest hits -- smooth operator is high key tied to so many of my earliest memories) is a sense of worldliness and experience and world weariness at times. I love those songs

20. cherrywaves

Trusted

Yeah agreed, I think "Pearls" really comes to mind here

21. irthesteve

My 1996 is one of my favorites, but it was also a real pill to deal with. For whatever reason, the songs I chose led to the track list being a whole 5 minutes over the time limit for a CD so I had some major work to do. I opted for the radio edit of Pony, California Love and No Diggity which cut back a fair amount of time, but still had overtime, so I manually had to shorten a few outros for the longer songs, or songs that faded out longer than usual. In the end, really happy I made it work and I love the flow of this one.

The albums list is one of the strongest for me as well, and I know I'll get shit for my #1 but I really believe it to be true, especially for my life and the music that I have listened to my life.

1996 mix

1. Matchbox Twenty - Real World
    2. Fiona Apple - Shadowboxer
    3. Weezer - El Scorcho
    4. Ginuwine - Pony
    5. Cake - The Distance
    6. Tonic - If You Could Only See
    7. Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity
    8. 2Pac ft. Dr. Dre & Roger Troutman - California Love
    9. The Wallflowers - The Difference
    10. Sheryl Crow - Everyday is A Winding Road
    11. Goldfinger - Here In Your Bedroom
    12. Duncan Sheik - Barely Breathing
    13. Blackstreet - No Diggity
    14. The Verve Pipe - The Freshmen
    15. The Cure - Strange Attraction
    16. OMC - How Bizarre
    17. Counting Crows - A Long December
    18. Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever
    19. Sublime - Santeria
    20. R.E.M. - Electrolite

1996 Favorite Albums

1. Sublime - Sublime
    2. Weezer - Pinkerton
    3. Matchbox Twenty - Yourself or Someone Like You
    4. Tool - Ænima
    5. Barenaked Ladies - Born On A Pirate Ship
    6. Fiona Apple - Tidal
    7. The Cure - Wild Mood Swings
    8. Beck - Odelay
    9. Fatboy Slim - Better Living Through Chemisty
    10. Outkast - ATLiens
    12. Descendents - Everything Sucks
    13. Jay-z - Reasonable Doubt
    14. R.E.M. - New Adventures in Hi-Fi
    15. 2Pac - All Eyez On Me
    16. Spoon - Telefono
    17. Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
    18. Underworld - Second Toughest In The Infants
    19. Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire
    20. Neutral Milk Hotel - On Avery Island

22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

There's nothing that could've prepared me for your number one album after you mentioned it and honestly? Respect

23. irthesteve

I love it, and them, and Bradley :tear:. His voice is super underrated, especially around these parts :-/

24. DesolateEarth

Birb

Garbage's Version 2.0 had some real strong songs.

25. SVXDan83

Regular

Electrolite might be my favorite REM song... Its such a great closing track to New Adventures In Hi-Fi, and really a great closing song to anything. I have to believe that had REM played a proper final show, they would have close with this.