Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 90's Music Thread

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Mar 31, 2016.

1. ALL THINGS 90'S!

supernovagirl likes this.
  2. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

I fall asleep to a playlist consisting of goo goo dolls, sister hazel, spin doctors, and live. It's awesome.

3. phaynes1

Regular

pretty sure there is already a 90s thread, though it may be for pop only

4. shoot. i searched and nothing came up. oh well. ha... i wanted it to be similar to the 80's thread.

5. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

What did you search for? I made a 90s/00s Pop Thread. No harm, no foul, just curious what you searched for that it didn't show up

supernovagirl likes this.
  6. i search for "90's" and not "90s." that must have been the mess up. oh well. this thread won't be strictly pop though. so there will still be a difference. :) sorry for stepping on your toes.

7. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Not at all! You're totally fine. I was just trying to figure out why it didn't come up in the search haha.

8. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Green day
    Oasis
    Natalie imbruglia
    Len
    Third eye blind
    Pearl jam

9. SVXDan83

Regular

Given the awesome 90's discussion that broke out of the 3EB thread this week, I'm giving this thread a bump to move it up and, hopefully, get some more 90's music talk going!

bradsonemanband likes this.
  10. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Spice World was a goddamn banger and you're wrong to say otherwise.

11. SVXDan83

Regular

The Podcast How Did This Get Made did an episode on Spice World and it was pretty amazing

12. SVXDan83

Regular

I was looking for the Chris Cornell track from the Singles soundtrack this afternoon when I stumbled on this forgotten gem from the Great Expectations soundtrack.

which also led me to this awesome, quirky Scott Weiland (STP) song from the same soundtrack:

13. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

The Goo Goo Dolls are one of the best bands to come out of the 90's, fight me if you don't like it!

bradsonemanband likes this.
  14. SVXDan83

Regular

I will half agree with you in the sense that there were very few of Robby Takac's songs that I could ever get into. The gap in songwriting capabilities of John vs Robby only became more apparent to me with each album. I think it stands out most on Dizzy Up The Girl where these days I pretty much skip past all of them.

How do you have a half fight? :-)

15. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  16. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Full Effect Ed likes this.
  17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I think 90s pop is my favorite iteration of pop music if my karaoke choices are anything to go by. Even though I was only alive for the back half of that era ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

18. razorburn

Trusted

19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Robby will forever keep them from being one of my favorite bands. It's less his songwriting that bothers me than his voice, which I think is truly awful.

20. SVXDan83

Regular

Yeah, that too! I listened to Dizzy Up The Girl last night after making that remark and I realized that his songs on that record just sound bad! All of John's songs are lushly arranged and impeccably recorded. The Robby songs literally sound like they were recorded in a different, rushed session in a cheaper studio.

Its a shame because January Friend completely ruins the flow between Broadway / Black Balloon / Bulletproof and then Full Forever just wrecks the flow of All Eyes on Me / Acoustic #3 / Iris.

21. SVXDan83

Regular

Great tune! I actually just saw the singer is doing a solo tour coming through my area. Weird timing.

22. Craig Manning

And it's a problem on every one of their releases. Even on something like Magnetic, John was still writing great songs and Robby was still turning in clunkers. Their record from last year just wasn't good at all, though.

23. SVXDan83

Regular

Its so strange... because that's the kind of situation that usually forces some member out of the band. I'm surprised his stuff kept somehow making the cut. Do they ever play any of them live? I was looking at some recent setlists, and while I've done a poor job of keeping up with their catalog, the songs I knew were John's.

24. Craig Manning

It looks like he gets a few songs every once in awhile. Their last show on Setlist.fm had "Bringing on the Light," which is a Robby song from Magnetic.

25. SVXDan83

Regular

Wow, I honestly didn't realize they had released so many albums in past years! I think my attention kind of fell off after Gutterflower during that period where Let Love In was playing in every public place I visited. (Not that I think Let Love In is necessarily a bad song, but god did it get so overplayed!)