Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 89th Academy Awards (2017) Movie • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Okay, I can understand that. I disagree that Morrissey doesn't genuinely feel what he says. But okay.

2. Count of people offering movie criticism to some degree without seeing said movie: 2.

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Trust me, there have been plenty of reviews and think pieces that read exactly like that one written over the last few months. It's by no means a unique take.

4. Nathan

As someone who doesn't even read any piece of writing on a movie until I've seen it, reading and sharing pieces without having seen a movie is a tough place to come from.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  5. Anthony_

Shocked that Hidden Fences was completely snubbed. Figured that was a lock after the Golden Globes.

6. I get the joy out of trolling SERIOUS MOVIE PEOPLE the same way I did when I liked Blink 182 and Brand New and Jimmy Eat World and emo music and the right music writers said no and mocked it outright.

With every Pitchfork review of those bands I feel vindicated. Film criticism is currently in the same phase of the same kinds of boring gatekeepers trying to keep out the next wave of opinions and innovation within the space.

I find satisfaction in their anger at the YouTube voices.

7. Nathan

Curious, what film criticism/writers/voices do you tend to look toward?

8. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Guys: Fences, Moonlight or Manchester by the sea? Pick one for me to see this week. Otherwise I'm just gonna end up watching Hidden Figures again, so good.

9. Nathan

Moonlight Moonlight Moonlight

Manchester is also very good

Fences comes from brilliant source material and is an adequate adaptation

Zilla and BirdPerson like this.
  10. Anthony_

Damn just one? Moonlight or Manchester are both so good. It's too hard. Flip a coin. @BirdPerson

BirdPerson likes this.
  11. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Seriously, I feel like I've been inundated with thinkpieces, articles and angry comment sections about La La Land criticism for the past few weeks. Not liking a movie is one thing, but the narrative now feels like a need to destroy it, to call it overhyped, to call it overrated, etc. The "backlash" to argue against it now feels way more overwhelming than anyone praising it ever was. Not liking a movie is fine, and to point out the racial stuff is fair and totally understandable, but at this point it's just too much.

domotime2 and Jason Tate like this.
  12. Hardly any. I follow what people recommend and like in Letterboxd, I see the movies that look interesting to me, and if something is getting enough buzz I'm pretty confident I'll hear about it. I hardly read any music "reviews" either, I kinda don't like the traditional "review" at all to be honest (and think all of us - yes including myself in that - have an overinflated view of our own importance when it comes to reviewing things, which is why I tend to go in different directions compared to most), and the "tell me what it really means and the opinion I should have" hot takes are just painful to read and fall apart under light poking most of the time (which is fair, the writer is getting paid next to nothing most of the time and forced to publish too many pieces and churn out content). I browse through /Film, follow writers and critics on Twitter, and I can't think of anyone that I would say I follow no matter what they say or need to know what they think after or before seeing a movie (or music). I just don't really think reviews are that helpful in 2017 for anything. It also means when TV shows or movies break through the filter, there's a good chance there's a reason.

13. Nathan

Yeah I'm not a fan of the traditional review format either, and the film writers I respect and read most tend to not adhere to it too strictly, or eschew it altogether (Wesley Morris, Film Crit Hulk). I know the works I've written here have largely adhered to a recognizable review structure, but I try to write about the films differently than I see on a wide scale. I do enjoy looking at certain writers' takes, whether I agree or not, and I don't look for similar taste in film critics, but rather, someone who writes about film in a way that I find interesting.

Any Letterboxd follows you'd recommend?

14. Anthony_

Well said. I personally couldn't imagine basing my film opinions/watching habits based on a small group of like-minded critics. I check Rotten Tomatoes, because it's an aggregate, but even that doesn't totally dictate what I see. I set my own viewing schedule based on a multitude of factors but in the end my opinion on a film is my own.

15. Haven't seen Manchester, but between Moonlight and Fences, I'd say Moonlight. Fences is good and has fantastic performances, but I found Moonlight more impacting.

BirdPerson likes this.
  16. thisisacting__

Regular Supporter

I saw The Nice Guys based on what buzz I had heard about itbut didn't really like it at all. What made you like it?

17. RonandTammy

Regular

It's Shane Black writing how Shane Black writes. That alone is enough to get me to watch. Not to mention Gosling and Crowe are fantastic together.

18. I'm not sure it deserves all 14 of it's nominations, but I loved La La Land and ranked it in my top 5 of last year. Interesting to see a Pixar film not get nominated when we're so used to them being a lock for the category and often winning. Also wanna mention how awesome it is that Kubo and the Two Strings got nominated for best VFX! A beautiful film that's totally deserving.

So I plan on seeing Manchester and Silence within the next week. I haven't seen Jackie, Hidden Figures, Hacksaw, or Lion, but I feel like I'd be ok skipping those if I don't make the time.

19. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

payday's not til friday and stuff costs money, boo

20. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Also for some reason I thought Jackie wasn't coming out until March. Oops. I want to see that one too.

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Edge of Seventeen should've been nominated

22. Edge of Seventeen was so good. Hailee Steinfeld deserves recognition for that one.

23. Nathan

Very glad the cinematographer of Yoga Hosers and Tusk was recognized this morning

dadbolt likes this.
  24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

cwhit, Nathan and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  25. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

I love that movie.