Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 89th Academy Awards (2017) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The most eye-roll inducing moment for me was Doss being lifted literally above everyone else at the end in the stretcher. It took away his humanity and made him an icon, specifically a religious one. Which I think was what Gibson wanted to do, but he'd established some nice stuff earlier about how Doss legitimately wanted to be a part of a system, just like everyone else, and I think there were fascinating threads about how come only this one person out of so many was opposed to the violence around him, and I think Gibson's career-long focus on hyper violence could have served that well, but he played it really safe and highlighted a lot of very sentimental, conventional, and overtly religious stuff that took a lot away from Doss' accomplishment, IMO.

2. RonandTammy

Regular

What exactly did he do that caused this tarnished reputation? I remember something about antisemitic remarks, and something on a recorded phone call?

I wouldn't call him "entitled," he definitely but in his fair share of work both in Australia and the US. I'm not defending what he did in the past, I just don't remember the details.

3. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

A little part of me wishes there was an Oscar for Best Ensemble because that entire cast shines, but there really isn't a singular performance that stands above the rest. Whether it'd have gotten nominated is up for debate, but they were all really great.

BirdPerson likes this.
  4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

This about sums it up. With links!

And he's entitled because he expects everyone to just move on and forget about everything he's done, because he's Mel Gibson, simply because he stopped directing films for ten years.

5. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I haven't read any of Gibson's press around this movie but I'm willing to bet he wouldnt have made it if the guy wasn't super religious. Idk.

6. Nathan

Yes, he's a devout person and it informs his work. But there are ways to make films about religion and faith that are also complex and nuanced, ie Scorsese with Last Temptation of Christ and Silence. Gibson does have talent, but nuance and complexity aren't among them.

7. Davjs

Trusted

Hmmmm, most of all these movies are one's I've heard about all year from youtube shows, movie news sites and podcasts. None of these were a surprise to me nor were any on here anything less than good. The high end critics you speak of obviously don't speak for most people including all the members in the academy who work in the business and voted lol. You should give them all a chance.

8. Morrissey

Trusted

Gbson's brand of Christianity is considerably nuttier than other religious filmmakers. There is not a whole lot of room for intelligent inquiry of his own belief system.

dadbolt and Nathan like this.
  9. Morrissey

Trusted

I am not going to watch something just to cause a nap. If that many professional film critics do not advocate for it, there is not much of a reason to go out on a limb for it.

10. Davjs

Trusted

I guess so, I mean I really don't know how these films weren't heavily talked about but I guess in your circle they just weren't that good to mention.

11. RonandTammy

Regular

He called her an oven-dodger...well that certainly is fucked up.

12. Morrissey

Trusted

It is an example of how far apart film culture has become due to the Internet. There are a lot of places that will run rumors about how an actor was in the same country where STAR WARS EIGHTEEN: THIS TIME ITS PERSONAL was being filmed and in other places it is just accepted that you know who Bela Tarr and Hong Sang-soo are.

13. Davjs

Trusted

Oh no doubt Gibson is a huge POS. I'm just able to separate artist form art, even though I'm aware that's probably the wrong stance to have. I think a lot of people do as well, which is why I think he'll do better behind the camera in front of it as an actor.

Also want to state I just realized Sing Street wasn't anywhere on here.....it could have at least had one for song. I would have bumped it off for Arrival too for best pictures.

14. *Checks who President of United States is*

Well, maybe he is right.

Fuck.

Anthony_D'Elia and Davjs like this.
  15. Davjs

Trusted

While that was funny, these aren't really block busters that I'm confused by you not seeing or confused by these high praised critics not talking about them.

I will say I think the best picture list is pretty diverse which is a plus, a little bit for everyone :-)

16. Davjs

Trusted

Also now I'm excited for Star Wars Ep 18

BirdPerson likes this.
  17. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

18. I think "hipster film critic" works really well. Couldn't have asked for better examples to manifest not long after either. Love it.

19. Spin writes article containing verifiably wrong statements.

I would be shocked but they are one of the worst companies in existence, so I'm not.

Craig Manning and domotime2 like this.
  20. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

21. Nathan

Why the hipster label? It feels like an attempt to dismiss someone's genuine feelings because they skew towards more independent/art/foreign films.

I like pop films, blockbusters and mainstream prestige studio movies. I like independent, artsy, nonconventional movies. But whatever "side" someone else might fall on, I don't doubt their feelings are legitimate.

22. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Nothing in there that hasn't already been said about the film ad nauseum, just with added language about the film's 14 Oscar nominations.

Also, the fact that other and better films this year were harder to get made doesn't negate the fact that getting La La Land made was likely not easy. Unless the author thinks Damian Chazelle is lying about kicking it around trying to get it made for years.

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  23. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

Kubozuka might be my personal favourite. Great character/performance

24. Because I don't think the opinions espoused by certain people are genuine. I think they're as perfectly crafted as the hipster look, down the perfectly picked and selected vintage hat and mustache to form ... a look and feel ... first and foremost. I think it's about cultivating a specific view of the "RIGHT" and "IMPORTANT" opinions while actively (look at the posts! literally dismissing people and movies by who sees them!) dismissing anyone else's opinions or thoughts that don't fit into the preconceived bucket. It's not about art, or appreciating or discussing art, it's about being seen as the person that talks about art.

[​IMG]

scottlechowicz likes this.
  25. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

haven't even seen the movie or any of the others, just an interesting article i read (plus i like emily yoshida's writing quite a bit), plus my woc coworker has had a lot of negative things to say about this movie as well so seeing those points (as compared to all the white dudes in here) interest me.