Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 89th Academy Awards (2017) Movie • Page 47

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Jan 24, 2017.

1. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Been obsessed with Ryan since MMC..this song..pheeeeeeeeeeeew. 1:43 and 3:03.

2. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

mad and AelNire like this.
  3. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

4. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I heard on the radio this morning that Jimmy was in the audience at the end because there was going to be one last Matt Damon bit. Has he said what it was? That joke never gets old for me.

CarpetElf likes this.
  5. Jake Gyllenhaal

I ended up seeing Hidden Figures and Moonlight Sunday afternoon before the ceremony as a last minute effort to up the BP nominees I've seen from 4 to 6 out of the 9. I haven't expressed my thoughts on Moonlight here or the Moonlight thread but it's been on my mind for the last two days. I wasn't blown away coming out of the theater (I think the awards hype may have affected my judgement). But I went in with an open mind and since been able to appreciate more and more. I knew it was a coming of age tale but thinking back I really loved some of the sequences accompanied by the score. I was hoping Juan would return in the third act but didn't realize he died off screen in between acts one and two until afterwards. The fact that it's a micro-budget movie with an all black cast with an LGBT theme is definitely precedent in its Oscar win. I think I do need to watch it again to appreciate it.

CarpetElf likes this.
  6. Dog with a Blog

I can't say it was my favorite movie of the year, but that scene where Juan and Little are in the ocean reduced me to a puddle. First act is perfect.

7. Probably just preaching to the choir here, but, knowing some of my "moderate" friends, I'm not brave enough to post this on FB, and I felt the need to write this out, so:

Ignoring for a moment the criticisms on both sides, that La La Land is about white people discovering jazz, and that Moonlight wouldn't have won if it weren't for its black cast and its lgbtq narrative, Moonlight was still the better film. Heck, even Manchester by the Sea was a better film than La La Land, and by the way, that's about white people, and it has as its lead a guy who's been accused of sexual assault. I'm not a La La Land hater. I fucking love La La Land. Moonlight was just the better film, and its cultural significance is just a bonus. People shouldn't be deterred from watching Moonlight because it "stole the win from the white people film" (hey, remember the other seven movies that "lost?")and because it tried to make a statement about the state of our society. Moonlight, probably the most deserving of the best picture win in years, will have its legacy tarnished by this flub that had nothing to do with it, and people won't remember how important it is, how good it is. This advancement in diversity sucks for white people because they "lost." But, you know, white dominance in mainstream media sucks for people of color, so.

8. Schooner

Trusted

Maybe cause I don't live in America but I never even thought about it being a black vs white thing. Bringing it up like this always just seems to divide everyone more in my opinion. (This isn't a "I don't see colour" post anyway, it just never occurred to me)

fenway89 and Davjs like this.
  9. That's the sort of thing I was afraid my Facebook/real life friends would say. Something about not knowing you personally makes this easier for me to talk about.

I think we need to acknowledge oppression, even if it makes the privileged feel uncomfortable, if we're ever going to achieve equality. It's only divisive when the privileged believe in the us vs. them narrative, when really, if the historically oppressed are given the same opportunities, everyone benefits, including those who already hold privilege. The thing is, as with the fans who support La La Land, it just feels like a loss for them.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  10. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

This is a few days old, but she surprisingly is not the most nominated actress to never win. Still has to catch Glenn Close, Thelma Ritter and Deborah Kerr at 0/6

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  11. cshadows2887

Deliberately avoided this thread for a few days but this post made me spit water at my desk at work so I had to give you props.

Davjs and CarpetElf like this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

At least Glenn has those Tonys

13. cshadows2887

Sometimes you wish the Oscars could have known shit ahead of time. Like "Jodie Foster is going to win a second Oscar for Silence of the Lambs in 3 years and she will be amazing and deserve it. You can probably give Glenn Close one for Dangerous Liaisons instead."

The amount of hypotheticals I've played for Peter O'Toole, man...

14. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I love Cruella Deville and Glenn Close knocked that shit out of the park for me.

15. cshadows2887

Getting Oscar nominations isn't a comment on the quality of the film. The score and art direction were excellent, and those were what it got nominated for.

16. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I think it's more that, in the face of equally deserving nominees (or, in the case of Arrival's score, more deserving nominees), why give it to such a problematic film?

17. cshadows2887

Arrival was DQ'd for a reason consistent with their history. They thought it was impossible for viewers to tell the difference between what was Johansson and what was Richter, and would therefore be voting whether or not to give an award to Johansson based on music he didn't write. Which is pretty technical and minute, sure, but also fair, since I personally know I had to tell 3 different people about Richter after that movie.

And you just said it yourself, they were equally deserving. Passengers's production design crew (who are the people who receive the award, btw, not the director or producers or writers) deserve to be penalized for deserving work just because the movie isn't that good?

18. Anthony_

It's not so much about the movie not being good as it is about the movie being gross, misogynistic, and really just being a big question mark as to how/why it was allowed to be made in the first place. I don't know, I feel like Casey Affleck and Mel Gibson got plenty of heat for their problems during awards season and Passengers really didn't. Probably because it was such a flop and most people had no idea what it was actually about.

19. cshadows2887

Again, the problems with the poorly motivated female characters can be thrown at a lot of feet, but not the production designers or Thomas Newman.

20. Anthony_

Agree to disagree. They still chose to work on the film and, like I said, there were other at least equally-deserving films the Academy could have nominated instead that weren't about romanticizing a man's decision to rob a woman of her agency and her life just to get laid.

21. Jake Gyllenhaal

Academy members vote in their specific field of expertise. It was production designers who voted for that movie's nomination. It was the make-up technicians who voted for the make-up effects in Suicide Squad. Actors get to vote for the four acting categories. But every member votes for their pick for Best Picture.

Davjs and Schooner like this.
  22. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I have trouble laying moral criticisms at production designers/prop departments, etc. I worked with a prop designer and supplier and no one had any idea what the movie would be about, what it's story beats were, etc. Unless it was an established TV show, no one ever knew anything about the characters or plot beyond a teensy scratch of the surface. We just did work and supplied props without any real idea what they'd be used for. But they're some of the hardest working and least recognized people in the industry. They have to take big studio jobs like Passengers to keep afloat.

cshadows2887, Joe, Nyquist and 3 others like this.
  23. Anthony_

I just have a thing against Passengers, don't know what else to say about it. Again, Casey Affleck and Mel Gibson rightly were raked over the coals all awards season, and the Academy was rightly criticized for nominating them as well. Awarding Casey Affleck with Best Actor sends a message and normalizes behavior, as does nominating Mel Gibson for Best Director or his film for Best Picture. I consider Passengers in the same boat, and whether they knew what the film was about or not. It's unfortunate for them if they didn't know, and I'm not trying to suggest I don't value that work of production designers or composers (don't know where that came from), but it just doesn't sit right with me nominating a film that romanticizes that kind of behavior for any kind of award.

24. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I am so confused by this, but the info I am missing seems to be details from Passengers, which I haven't seen.

25. Anthony_