Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 89th Academy Awards (2017) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Jan 24, 2017.

1. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

It was nominated for cinematography.

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Mel Gibson doesn't have a chance at winning. Affleck is a lock.

3. RonandTammy

Regular

It's not surprising a movie that involves Hollywood leads in nominations. Seriously, how many times has the "boy finds girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl again" formula been played out? It's done to a musical, ok, that's been done thousands of times before also.

It would be a nice for something original, or at least "emotion" inducing such as Manchester or Moonlight to pick up the wins in the major categories.

My point is that a movie with such light emotional weight shouldn't be held to such praise. Hollywood loves movies about Hollywood, happens all too frequently.

Jeremy likes this.
  4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Can't wait for the autobiographical musical silent film about two Academy Voters who fall in love in Hollywood to get nominated for 25 awards

imthesheriff, Joel and RonandTammy like this.
  5. RonandTammy

Regular

I bet in the next 5 years or so, we'll have Bowie and Prince biopics that sweep the Oscars.

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

You're Hired: The Donald Trump Story starring Philip Seymour Hoffman would've crushed

seriously though I think about PSH dying weekly and get sad

Aregala likes this.
  7. Anthony_

Was probably the first untimely celebrity death I can remember truly hurting me, personally. Like, beyond just regular disappointment/sadness over someone whose work I enjoyed. The years and years of his potential work lost to the world. Fuck.

8. manoverboard365

Trusted

A Hollywood produced film about how great Hollywood is, being nominated at a Hollywood ceremony that's sole purpose is to gloat about how great Hollywood is......nobody else stood a chance.

imthesheriff likes this.
  9. So ..... you didn't see the movie?

10. Anthony_

11. The backlash tears of the people that say they hate the Oscars but spend all day whining about them taste delicious. La La Land was great. Can't wait for all the hipster, always following the same line, film critics to get angry about it. The schadenfreude denied to me by the election will find a new path!

12. Anthony_

lol I enjoyed La La Land, and I think a certain portion of the criticism of it is unearned, but I would put it in the bottom tier of the 7 of these films I've seen. I haven't gotten to see Hidden Figures or Hacksaw Ridge yet (and honestly I probably won't see Hacksaw Ridge for Mel Gibson-related reasons), but of the other seven I think La La Land was my least favorite.

13. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Plenty of critics love La La Land. Weren't you unhappy in the La La Land thread about the idea of attaching identity to the films we want to win? It makes the Oscars even more unpleasant when people snipe at each other as people over disagreements on movies.

14. Well, clearly those aren't the critics I'm talking about. And I have no idea what this has to do with identity (I'm cheering for a movie I like to win, will be happy no matter what wins, and kinda hope La La Land wins just because the anger that comes from it cracks me up and I'm clearly fucking around here), but Nathan, you snipe at people all the time over disagreements on movies! It's kinda your thing. I don't know anyone on this site that will continue, no matter what, an argument over the most minor of points (maybe Greg?). Even when people say "I don't wanna argue with you" you keep going and try and get the last word. You do it to me!

SpyKi likes this.
  15. Anthony_

Four of the five nominees in Best Documentary Feature had directors of color. That's also a record, and incredible.

Nathan likes this.
  16. RonandTammy

Regular

Nope, don't care to.

How far off was I regarding the love story aspect? I know it's about a struggling jazz musician and an aspiring actress, with a gap of time somewhere in the middle.

17. manoverboard365

Trusted

Made plans to see La La Land on Thursday and Lion on Monday.
    Time to squeeze as many oscar nominated movies in as I can before awards night.

...except for Hacksaw Ridge. I've heard amazing things, and I love Garfield, but I just can't give money to support Mel Gibson's career.

cybele and Anthony_D'Elia like this.
  18. Nathan

I believe we briefly touched on identity in the La La Land thread where you expressed frustration at the movie one roots for at the Oscars having become a measure of who one is as a person.

Do I snipe at people? I try to keep my criticisms purely of on the film, though yes, I recognize that can I go on and on, sometimes about stuff that other people don't care about. If people say they want to stop a debate, I do let it go, but yes, I'll usually offer a last word to attempt to clear up what I'm saying or how I feel. But I don't think I say anything about the people who like a movie I don't like. I wouldn't be happy about the disappointment of people who like La La Land if it doesn't win Best Picture.

19. Anthony_

20. RonandTammy

Regular

I'm glad that this year there have been many performances which warrant a nomination.

Davjs likes this.
  21. Morrissey

Trusted

What on Earth is a hipster film critic?

22. Completely, embarrassingly, off. To rail so strongly against something and have no idea what you're talking about sure is fun.

23. You. I literally saw your old username flash in my mind's eye as I typed it. ;-)

DrAlanGrant, Craig Manning and Davjs like this.
  24. Anthony_

I seriously cannot stress enough how ridiculous it is that Mel fucking Gibson is nominated and Martin Scorsese isn't. Goddammit.

25. Nathan

Been reading Richard Schickel's Conversations With Scorsese, the man is a gift. We're lucky to have him. Great read if you're interested.