Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 89th Academy Awards (2017) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Jan 24, 2017.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah I most likely am becoming out of touch with what is popular or advertised on TV since I rarely watch network shows as they air, but I had no idea Hacksaw, Hell or High Water or Lion had any sort of critical reputation or popular buzz. Idk if anyone I associate with outside of this site is aware that they exist. The Lion trailer played before a few films, I guess. I've honestly heard more about them in relation to most likely being nominated for an Oscar than I did for being actual films that came out.

Looking back on the past few years, while the films were certainly not the "best" of the year, they at least had popular/critical buzz behind them prior to being nominated. This year's list is odd.

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

It's pretty good. Commercial, conventional, bordering on overly-sentimental, but earned. Great performances.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Thanks. I'm probably going to see it this weekend.

4. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Pretty much what I expected - a little surprised Nocturnal Animals didn't get in there for BP (I had that instead of Hidden Figures). Only big thing I would've changed is put Amy Adams in for Best Actress instead of Meryl Streep or Ruth Negga.

Only nominees I still need to see are Fences, Lion and Moonlight.

5. ALT/MSC/FAN

One of the biggest bummers is that "Drive It Like You Stole It" didn't get a Best Original Song nomination.

6. Nathan

I appreciate Lion for a pretty stellar first half, featuring little dialogue, even less English dialogue, and some well directed and structured cinematic drama. It loses its way a little bit in the second half but not for lack of good intentions. International cinema being recognized is good.

imthesheriff likes this.
  7. Anthony_

Honestly I don't see how a Best Picture field that includes four films fronted by people of color (including one that beautifully covers the coming-of-age of a poor gay African American child growing up in Miami), a heady science-fiction film, a neo-Western, and one of the most emotionally shattering and well-acted films I've ever seen "boring," but hey, to each their own.

imthesheriff and Zilla like this.
  8. Anthony_

I enjoyed Lion a lot. Also really glad to see Dev Patel getting recognized for something that isn't Slumdog Millionaire. He's great in the film.

9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

zero deadpool noms. smdh

SpyKi likes this.
  10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah, I wouldn't call the nominations "boring". I'm just saying that if I had not read any pre-Oscar speculation regarding the nominations, I would have no idea that Hacksaw/Nocturnal Animals/Hell/Lion would have a chance. The actual nominations were almost exactly what was speculated, so in that sense it's boring.

11. Nathan

Eh, Hell or High Water isn't exactly an exciting choice. I find the noms largely uninteresting because, outside of Moonlight/Manchester, they're just a lot of pretty middling movies. I am glad for Hidden Figures and Lion, but they, and I think all of the nominees, were expected. Boring in that way.

12. ALT/MSC/FAN

Best Picture nominees, sorted by number of nominations:

La La Land (14)
    Moonlight (8)
    Arrival (7)
    Hacksaw Ridge / Lion / Manchester by the Sea (6)
    Hell or High Water (5)
    Fences (4)
    Hidden Figures (3)

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

La La Lovetopatourselvesontheback

Aregala likes this.
  14. Anthony_

It's not really a boring choice either, though. The film is not what anyone could consider an awards-bait film by any stretch of the term. It's not "surprising" to see it recognized, because it was critically-beloved and those audiences who saw it really embraced it as well, but it's still outside of the Academy's typical preferences. Same goes for Arrival as well, now I think about it.

15. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

That Amy Adams snub hurts

Other than that, nothing really all that egregious or surprising. I feel like I even saw the Hell or High Water nomination predicted in most places

16. Anthony_

Personal Biggest Snubs (that I can think of right now):

Amy Adams, Best Actress - Arrival
    Denzel Washington, Best Director - Fences
    Andrew Garfield, Best Actor - Silence
    Martin Scorsese, Best Director - Silence
    Paul Verhoeven, Best Director - Elle
    Silence
    , Best Picture
    Annette Bening, Best Actress - 20th Century Women
    Elle
    , Best Foreign Film
    Elle, Best Picture
    Captain America: Civil War, Best Visual Effects
    Star Trek Beyond, Best Visual Effects
    Johann Johannsson, Best Original Score - Arrival
    All of the songs from Sing Street

17. Anthony_

18. Morrissey

Trusted

I have paid less attention each year, but usually the nominees were much more predictable. The quality was all over the place, but it was obvious what was getting nominated. I never heard anyone talk about Lion, and I never heard serious publications talk about Hacksaw Ridge or Hidden Figures or Hell or High Water or Fences as a movie worth seeing. They all look so remarkably bland and forgettable that there seems to be very little reason to see them; they don't seem even worth seeing and criticizing for their ideological and thematic problems. Silence seems like a no-brainer, but I would imagine that the gardeners and grandchildren of the Oscar voters who fill these ballots out cannot sit through it.

19. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

La La Land is going to win a bunch of main Oscars for being about white people and I'm going to be irrationally angry because movies like Moonlight, Fences, and Hidden Figures told way more compelling stories.

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Bit of a crude analysis. The frustration lies more with it being a film about Hollywood. There are problems with the film's depiction of race, though

Aregala and ALT/MSC/FAN like this.
  21. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Yeah that makes sense. To me it was a fun movie but wouldn't beat out some others that I've seen this year. I guess the nostalgia for movies and Hollywood that it invokes hits the Academy right in the sweet spot. Still need to watch Manchester by the Sea but I'm excited to get to it, even though from what I hear it'll probably just make me depressed lol.

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I almost view La La Land as a big budget superhero film; it was a spectacle. I saw there and smiled and fell into the visuals. It was pleasant. I didn't necessarily feel for any of the characters or any part of the story and haven't thought much about it since it was over, aside from digging a bit into the racial politics that are being debated. It was an amusement. Well made, pretty looking, but a bit empty in terms of substance. Themes regarding the American Dream and the drive for success and the like have all been done much, much better by other films.

23. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

yeah sometimes a movie like La La Land would resonate more after a few weeks of seeing it (maybe i'd look back more fondly at the whole experience and realize how special it was) but alas it's not the case. I even began listening to the soundtrack and really only liked two of them (opening number/emma stone song).

I do think it's bullshit it's going to win best picture though. I mean, we always joke about how much hollywood loves movies about hollywood, but this is fucking ridiculous.

that being said i haven't seen any of the other nominees so i cant give you a better suggestion at this point (other than arrival.... lets go ARRIVAL!)

24. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Waiting for the dumpster fire on this site if Mel Gibson and Casey Affleck win. In all seriousness I hope La La Land sweeps. I absolutely adored that movie. Can't remember a movie that made me smile more just by thinking about it or humming the tunes.

25. manoverboard365

Trusted

Shocked to see not a single nomination for Silence. I havent seen it, but everyone I know who has said it was amazing.