Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 89th Academy Awards (2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Jan 24, 2017.

1. I'm hoping to catch Paterson. It'll start playing in my town this Friday.

2. I actually thought the sound editing in Silence was atrocious. It was really distracting in the theater for my brother and me.

3. Elle wasn't even on the shortlist! I don't really know how that happened, but it's weird, for sure.

4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

What about it, exactly? Was it the movie's sound design, or the theater's sound system?

5. I'm pretty happy that my three favorite screenplays of the year, Hell or High Water, The Lobster, and Arrival, all got nominated.

6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Yea I saw it in the theaters last August

7. It was the film, for sure. Random moments of dialogue that were extra loud, random moments that were filled with static. Even beyond the sound, the whole film (which I liked overall) was sloppily or unevenly edited, at least in some scenes, such as two random scenes that had a heavy contrast filter on them.

8. Nathan

Hm. Can't say I noticed any sound issues that felt jarring, everything I saw and heard felt intentional, a part of creating the experience of the film. Fair if it didn't work for you.

9. Hell or High Water with the dark horse nom, gotta see it. As well as a handful of others.

10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Andy Hull was never getting a nomination. But like, did these guys just not watch Sing Street?

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  11. Nathan

Hell or High Water is fine enough but there are a great number of films from the year I'd recommend prioritizing above it. I actually preferred Nocturnal Animals in terms of films from the year with ornery sheriffs and psycho outlaws in Texas. It doesn't hit 100% of it's aims but is certainly more interesting thematically and Ford's visual style is more engaging.

Joe and CarpetElf like this.
  12. So what are the biggest snubs? Silence?

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Odd that Silence didn't get a BP nom, especially with the open space

Aregala and popdisaster00 like this.
  14. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

The farting boner corpse movie

slimfenix182, Joe, BirdPerson and 5 others like this.
  15. Somewhere someone is raging that Deadpool wasn't nominated

imthesheriff, AndrewSoup and Henry like this.
  16. Nathan

Silence, the Handmaiden, Elle, Swiss Army Man, the Witch, Certain Women, the Nice Guys, and Paterson are movies that deserve attention and got little or none from the Oscars (some of them were never going to be on the Academy Award radar, but still)

17. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

The only BP nominees I've seen are Arrival and La La Land. Both are ok.

18. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

So why do people dislike La La Land so much? Seems pretty popular right now to write about how it #actually is bad. It isn't my favorite of the year but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

That being said my favorite movie from this year was either The Nice Guys or Moana, so what do I know haha.

19. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

lmao at that rainbow connection rip from la la land getting a nom

20. Morrissey

Trusted

I have only seen three of those movies. The divide between critical acclaim and the Oscars grows more every year.

21. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

The best song in La La Land was the I Ran cover.

Aregala likes this.
  22. Morrissey

Trusted

It is hard to tell if the Academy knows or cares what a self-parody they are. Make a film about Hollywood, reap the rewards.

AndrewSoup, dadbolt and Aregala like this.
  23. Nathan Jan 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 24, 2017)
    Nathan

It's not that it's bad or people even dislike it. Just as often happens with the Oscars, a fine, flawed movie overwhelms many great, often smaller or foreign films. And while I like La La Land, it's just a little tiring to see it beat something like Moonlight or Manchester by the Sea over and over again, or hear unending praise for it when many of the greatest works of the year are largely unnoticed and ignored by audiences and awards shows.

AndrewSoup, omgrawr and Aregala like this.
  24. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

What a boring list.

25. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Has anyone seen Hidden Figures? It's the only one of the BP nominees I haven't seen.