Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 68th Primetime Emmy Awards TV Show • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jul 14, 2016.

1. At least he acknowledges how shitty it is that he's a cis actor playing a trans woman.

No just kidding that doesn't make it okay how many times does he have to win before someone like Aziz, who actually represents diversity, gets it?

2. joe727

A DILAPIDATED BOAT! Prestigious

Burnett getting an award for The Voice, but he really needs an award on behalf of all wrestling fans for producing the revolutionary and groundbreaking Lucha Underground.

Contender likes this.
  3. Anthony_ Sep 18, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 18, 2016)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

It was a nice speech but if he really felt that way he shouldn't have taken the role in the first place. Kind of hypocritical coming from him.

I love Jeffrey Tambor, and his performance is really good, but Transparent is not a comedy series. Plus, his winning awards for the role is not the kind of precedent the Emmys should be setting re: cis actors playing trans characters. Aziz or Thomas Middleditch deserved that trophy far more for giving truly excellent comedic performances on actual comedy series.

4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

If Tambor didn't take the role it would have gone to another cis-male actor. I'm sure he's learned a lot since he took the role and while it's not excusable, I think his position is understandable.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  5. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Tambor deserved it, that is the best performance in that category. But it's not a comedic one.

6. joe727

Ugh I hate Earnst & Young, they do third party oversight at my work.

7. Anthony_

Oh no, my position is that no cis actor should have taken the role. I'd be saying it about any cis actor in that position. If you really care about diversity and representation, you don't take that role if you are a cis male. And, I mean, come on, saying "if he hadn't taken it some other cis actor would've" is not the right mentality to have over this. It's about the principle of the thing.

8. Anthony_

Hawley was robbed.

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

he mentioned trans activist Jenny Boylan in his speech too

10. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I normally don't find Kimmel funny at all but some of these bits/jokes are actually pretty funny.

11. Anthony_

The writing has been very strong tonight. One of the funnier award shows I've seen in a while. Those OJ jokes in the monologue were hilarious.

12. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

Both directing awards (Comedy & Limited Series) have been won by women, that's pretty cool! (Obviously diversity as a whole is a much larger discussion but this is still something that makes me really excited)

13. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

Wait is that John Mayer????

14. Anthony_

Hawley robbed again.

Although damn what excellent diversity in that category: a woman, two gay men, and two black men.

cybele likes this.
  15. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

The "Bring back Parks and Rec" line killed me for multiple reasons.

supernovagirl and Anthony_D'Elia like this.
  16. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Happy for her but damn that was Fargo's best chance I think. Bummer.

17. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I'm on the same side as you. No cis-actor should have taken the role. But the show was made. The role was always going to go to a cis-actor. That's not an excuse, it's a reality of the majority of trans casting at that time, and still now. My point was Tambor probably didn't think of playing a trans role the same way when he took the role as he sees it now, having no doubt done a great deal of research and having learned as much as he has. And again that's not to say it's right or acceptable. But recognizing the growth of ideas as it happens, which seems to be the arc Tambor has personally experienced, is important. If a cis-male actor playing a trans role can say trans roles should go to trans actors, that's a step, however minuscule. It continues to contextualize and present the idea of trans actors playing trans roles. Of course the entertainment industry should have realized this by now and infinitely more credit should go to trans activists, actors, and creatives than a cis-male actor in a trans role saying trans roles should go to trans actors. But recognizing the reality of how slow film and television have been to progress is practical, while simultaneously continuing to pressure creatives and studios to do better.

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  18. joe727

i wanted Bokeem, but i'm cool with SKB.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  19. Anthony_ Sep 18, 2016
    Anthony_

So happy for Sterling K. Brown. Be deserved it most (well, him and Bokeem Woodbine, who was so damn good on Fargo).

dhayes likes this.
  20. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

So happy for SKB rn

21. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

No surprise there, she deserves it.

22. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

And Sarah Paulson

23. Anthony_

This was guaranteed for Sarah Paulson the second she first walked on screen. What a performance.

dhayes likes this.
  24. Anthony_ Sep 18, 2016
    Anthony_

As much as I love The People vs. OJ Simpson, Fargo's second series was just a far better show. I know it doesn't have a shot at winning, but damn does it really deserve to.

VanMastaIteHab and dhayes like this.
  25. joe727

The whole "CIS actors playing Trans characters" thing isn't regulated to just Transparent. You also have BD Wong as White Rose in Mr. Robot.

I still love Mr. Robot, and still think BD Wong kills that role though.