Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 Working on New Music • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I never found a way to organize the DLID stuff well on my computer so I can't remember which tracks are good ambient ones. Any recommendations?

2. seimagery

instagram.com/thekissingglow/

"Foreword", "28", and "Moon". Think there's old versions of "Facedown" and a few others too.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  3. heymattrick

Sending my love

Ummm...I went to five shows on their fall tour and those songs could not have fallen flatter in those giant rooms they were playing. The room lit up with people checking Facebook or texting their friends.

4. ARo24

Regular

Checking Facebook at a show how cool. Probably the same people taking videos of every song.

5. heymattrick

Sending my love

I just don't understand it...maybe in between bands while waiting but how could Facebook be more interesting than watching a band live on stage? Even if it's a song that you don't know or don't care for? I try to zone it out.

But sometimes it's hard to tune it out when you notice you're the only one around headbanging to Lostmyhead.

Turkeylegz and Jason Tate like this.
  6. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Nothing makes me more salty about not getting to see them this tour than knowing there will be people NOT headbanging to Lostmyhead and checking the book during the set.

heymattrick likes this.
  7. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

It is somewhat baffling to me that so many people are surprised (and somewhat offended) that people don't like the ambient tracks. I like a healthy amount of both but I can understand why one wouldn't appreciate such slow burning music. It makes perfect sense to me that you'd want a whole album full of The Sounds etc

heymattrick and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  8. heymattrick Mar 16, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 16, 2017)
    heymattrick

Sending my love

Agreed. I don't dislike them by any means. I think the ones on ILIWYS just aren't in the same league as the other songs I would personally group in with their "ambient" tracks. I think their early, slower songs are great but Please Be Naked and the title track don't do much for me in the long run. When played live, those two killed the mood at the shows. Looking at the 1975's discography as a whole, I don't think those two are prime examples of what makes this band great. People here can defend them all they want, as they do every time this discussion comes up, but it should be obvious by now that these are polarizing tracks and there seems to be just as many, if not more, that don't care for them as people that seemingly worship them. This same conversation literally happens every two weeks.

I don't want an album full of "The Sound"s or the ambient tracks to disappear entirely. I would just prefer to see the balance shift back a little. Their live show, while still phenomenal, has started to become much lower key because of it and even starts to drag a little around the 2/3 mark before it picks up again. There's not any one thing that makes this band great or appealing, it's a lot of things together.

SIDE EDIT: I do think there's a ton of disconnect in this thread as far as to which songs people group into "slow/ambient tracks". That could be either a huge group or a very small group of songs depending on you're talking to.

9. kait_whiteside

The slow stuff is amazing, and part of what makes the bangers/hits/whatever you want to call them even better and more powerful.

FTank, smowashere and Bryan Diem like this.
  10. jorbjorb

7 rings

stoked. this band is special

11. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Title track is like the apex on how amazing that album flows though. Going from dreamy ambience to house banger to huge pop song in the next track that organically is insane and done perfectly. I will say that probably the only thing I can pick out from the album as really not liking is that the distorted voice are a little too in the front on that end part and do sound a little cartoonish. But man, even on its own, that's a spectacular track.

12. Letterbomb31 Mar 18, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 18, 2017)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I totally agree with this. "Lostmyhead", "Please Be Naked" and the title track are pretty unremarkable and nowhere near as good as the ambient tracks from their EPs. I definitely want them to continue making diverse albums, I just hope that next time around the ambient stuff is as good as it was on the EPs.

13. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I've never though to compare them because they serve different purposes and don't sound similar at all.

FTank likes this.
  14. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

It's a stretch to say they don't sound similar at all, there are lots of similarities. For example, "Lostmyhead" literally borrows lyrics from "Facedown" and they aren't exactly worlds apart musically either. I just happen to think they pulled off that ambient sound much more convincingly on their EPs than on ILIWYS.

15. Letterbomb31 Mar 18, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 18, 2017)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I don't think they serve different purposes either, "HNSCC" is an instrumental track that enhances the mood of the Music for Cars EP, just like "Please Be Naked" and the title track aim to do on ILIWYS. The only difference is I enjoy "HNSCC" a hell of a lot more.

16. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I wouldn't group Lostmyhead with the ambient tracks because it's pretty much a traditional song anyways, especially because it has Facedown as a counterpart. And if you don't see title track as a good mood-enhancer, do you really think the album would flow better going from Loving Someone to the Sound? Because that really doesn't work imo. You miiiight make a case for If I Believe You, skipping over PBN, into LMH because IIBY references it, but still.

FTank likes this.
  17. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I never said I have a problem with the sequencing, I just don't think the ambient tracks on ILIWYS are that amazing. It's not like I despise them lol, I'm just not blown away by them and I never listen to them unless I'm listening to the album as a whole.

heymattrick likes this.
  18. heymattrick

Sending my love

Exactly my point that I think everyone in this thread has wildly different definitions of "slow/ambient" tracks which is why there's so much conflicted discussion.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  19. Bryan Diem

Trusted

True, haha, but some shot been fired at title track and Please be naked as not being up to par, which is an outrageous but not worth getting worked up about lol

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Please Be Naked doesn't do a ton for me, but don't get me wrong, I still wouldn't cut it. The title track is fucking outstanding though.

21. JulieLynn

Karma is the Guy On The Chiefs Supporter

I wonder if we will ever get another song like Robbers. I can't explain how that song makes me feel...its just....pure raw emotion.

Daniel182 and heymattrick like this.
  22. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I think that song's emotional heft is due to the post hardcore-y nature of the original version. I think it carries over some of that raw intensity in a way their more straight up pop songs don't have.