Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 Working on New Music

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

NME has pulled some new quotes from Matt Healey of The 1975 from the most recent issue of Q. It looks like the band’s already working on their new album:

Healy revealed his hopes for the record to Q, adding that he’d already penned two tracks for the album that are “as good as anything on the previous album” along with “lots of ambient and classical tracks”.

“If you look at third albums, ‘OK Computer’ or ‘The Queen Is Dead’, that’s what we need to do.” Healy continued: “I want a legacy. I want people to look back and think our records were the most important pop records that a band put out in this decade.”

2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Sweet. 2018 seems so far away, but I know it'll be here soon.

3. heymattrick

Sending my love

Honestly hoping for more "This Must Be My Dream"s and "The Sound"s and fewer "I like it when you sleep"s

4. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Yep. Me too.

5. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

Music for Cars - 2018

Mr. Serotonin and heymattrick like this.
  6. zachmacD

Trusted

Absolutely. Honestly, I would love an album just full of hits from them. I'm not really into their ambient/interlude tracks

7. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I agree. I love "I Like It When You Sleep..", but would kill for an album full of The Sound and She's American type tracks with some of the ambiance connecting tracks.

8. WTF is going on in this thread and people trying to get rid of the band's best songs.

9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Good effin' question - slow jams among their best jams

10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Random thought - would love to see the band play a Slow Jam The News segment on Fallon

11. heymattrick

Sending my love

I'd love to, however, see some songs in the vein of Intro/Set3, Haunt//Bed, and Antichrist.

DearCory and thenewtypetheory like this.
  12. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

The album being named Music For Cars should make anyone they're going to lean the slow burning ambient route since some of their most classic songs in that vein are on the EP of the same name.

Y'all in the first half of this thread should listen to the outro of Head.Cars.Bending on repeat until it converts you.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  13. drewinseries

Drew

While I agree, I don't think we ever will.

14. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

So hyped, and can't wait to hear what they come out with next. Love the mindset that they are going into this with for their third one.

15. zachmacD

Trusted

At least for myself, it's not like I don't like the ambient or slow songs but the 1975, lost my head, please be naked, and the title track just seemed to really draw the album out for me. I felt like the album would be picking up steam it would slow down again.

16. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Those slower, ambient tracks are what make The 1975 one of the best bands of the moment, and not just a very good pop rock band. Go listen to Walk the Moon's TALKINGISHARD or something if you want a full album of just jams.

17. bodkins

Trusted

Reading through the comment section on their website. Blows my mind how many people wanna shit on this band.

18. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I love these guys slower, ambient, sometimes instrumental songs, they're part of the band. I think it's natural that people would want an album full of bangers from them though given how good they are. Whatever they put out, Ill listen to.

19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

There are some awful takes in here, holy shit. Beyond their ambient tracks being amazing, I can't imagine wanting to see less variety on an album.

20. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Seriously, describing someone the wild stylistic changes throughout ILIWYS would like it sound like you're on drugs, but its amazing how cohesive the album is.

21. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

jeeze, no pressure on that writing process ! ...

Cody likes this.
  22. ARo24

Regular

Definitely a weird start to this thread haha. The slower songs translate so well live too I can't believe people want them to do away with those.

23. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Every post was wrong until Jason showed up. They literally already made an album of "hits" with ambient tracks connecting. Then they made an album expounding upon everything and more from that record. Last thing I'd want to see is a regression to the first album. All I'm hoping is that I can get into the classical stuff, that genre really doesn't appeal to me but I'm sure they'll put a delightful spin on it.

24. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Oh, and more MBV shoegaze moments like lostmyhead and post rock like How to draw and Plese be naked would be welcomed.

smowashere, kwilcox and FTank like this.
  25. seimagery

instagram.com/thekissingglow/

Honestly their ambient/post-rock songs from the DLID days are just as good. Seeing "Lostmyhead" live was amazing. If any band can continue to grow and truly get better every album, it's these guys.