Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 to Only Play Festivals With Gender-Balanced Lineups

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Matty Healy confirmed to the The Guardian’s Laura Snapes that The 1975 will only play festivals with gender-balanced lineups:

Take this as me signing this contract – I have agreed to some festivals already that may not adhere to this and I would never let fans down who already have tickets. But from now I will, and believe this is how male artists can be true allies. […] It’s not a geopolitical nightmare: it’s the music industry, and it’s something that if everyone gets on board, we can fix.

mad, jorbjorb and failinginplace like this.
  2. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Good for him. This is awesome.

3. somethingwitty

Trusted

This is cool of them, but why didn’t they announce this before they cashed their checks for Bonnaroo, Forecastle, Beale Street Fest, etc that they’re playing this year?

Seems hypocritical to say this when you’ve already agreed to play all of these non gender balanced fests. Maybe they could donate part of their booking fees for the fests they’re playing this year?

4. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Matty literally addresses not pulling out of existing festival commitments directly in his tweet. It's obvious this is a new policy he is coming up with going forward.

5. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

I’ve always wandered how much of the festival lineup is revealed to bands before they sign on to play.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  6. somethingwitty

Trusted

So why don't they donate some of the booking fees to offset them playing the fests? Also, they were announced for Forecastle literally today. They're going to be announced for Lollapalooza later this summer, it'll be interesting to see if this applies to that fest as well.

7. Daniel182

I don't know what they are doing with their money.

I would think they signed up for Forecastle and Lollapalooza many months ago. Matty's new "contract" going forward doesn't retroactively cancel out prior commitments. Pretty much like he stated directly.

8. somethingwitty

Trusted

I get that, but they could make a statement and cancel Lollapalooza before it’s announced.

9. Daniel182

We don’t even know if the Lollapalooza lineup is unbalanced.

10. gfunk

Pioneer of feminism yet he was happy enough to coat off Ellie Goulding by suggesting nobody listens to her albums in full?

I know he’s revered on this site but this guy is nauseating. He’s already pretty much been figured in the UK, I’m sure it won’t be long before everyone sees through this prat.

11. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I'm not sure of what you think a "pioneer" is, but feminism wasn't invented in the last decade.

I also don't know what his comments on Ellie Goulding have to do with feminism when the topic at hand was music streaming.

12. gfunk

Ok, maybe “advocate” was a better word. If he has a problem with music streaming, he doesn’t need to use examples, especially of female artists where he is irrefutably incorrect.

The point is, the guy is a hypocrite. A walking soundbite who says things to make him appear forward thinking when the truth he is so distanced from reality, it’s embarrassing.

Upon accepting a Brit Award, states that “it’s not often a left leaning band is celebrated for a single body of work” ignoring Adele, Arctic Monkeys and Stormzy, David Bowie, Paulina Faith, Coldplay, Blur (and these are just recent winners) as if they hadn’t existed.

Or how about when he posted photographs taken by a relatively unknown photographer on his Instagram, and when asked for some credit for them, instead of simply doing that for the 1million+ followers he has and - you know - maybe help launch some guy’s career instead decided to post this...

“What has happened here is someone has come to where I am (my show) taken a picture of me - as lots of people do - and then gone to use my picture, my image and my likeness, to promote and further his career as a photographer... I’ve done my part as it’s not a picture of a table or a pond, it’s a picture of me as for the photographer I am doing something of interest.”

I guess to his credit, he eventually backed down but it’s just a small insight into the kind of prick he is.

Or maybe his quotes about being the Messiah and whether or not he was misquoted. “There is an element of feeling a bit like the Messiah. Well, not somebody who’s around to safe humanity, but somebody for whom the world does truly revolve around them.”

He’s unbearable. A white, middle class male; the son of two celebrities who sees himself as some sort of saviour. I don’t post on here often, and I’m sorry that having done so will upset most people on here but I had to get it off my chest. Please, please don’t idolise this weapon.

parkerxcore likes this.
  13. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I mean really don't idolize anyone. We can appreciate what he's deciding to do and hope other artists follow that example, while also not worshiping the ground he walks on. Artists contain multitudes and can say/do somethings right while saying/doing other things wrong and we can appreciate the right things while denouncing the wrong things, it's fine*. But I do think most people agree with that which is why the response seems to be like "good for him" and not "SAVE US WITH WHITE ALLYSHIP WE STAN"

* - obviously not referring to people who have like committed crimes and treated human beings like shit in ways that should result in a loss of platform at minimum

14. gfunk

OK yea I can agree with all of this, and thank you for not jumping on my back! Obviously I had some sort of cynical perspective towards him built up there and it probably came out terribly. I don’t wanna detract from the message and like you say, it is a good one. Truth be told, I’m a little embarrassed I posted what I posted when I could have just let it slide so that we can focus on the message.

Peace and love to everyone and I’m sorry if what I said as shitty x

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  15. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

This is great. I adore The 1975 musically but cannot stand their hypocritical and fake agenda. Matty is just a self absorbed nuisance.

16. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Although I obviously don't know the guy (his public persona, I mean) as much as you do, I have to agree with most of what you said.

17. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Perfect word to describe him lmao. I can tolerate him more than most but he often pushes that tolerance to it's limits :crylaugh:

18. Me: look at all the replies! I bet people are happy someone in a position of power is finally doing this! hope it inspires others.

*opens thread*

:-|

19. transrebel59

Regular

The sentiment is great but this dude has red flags all over him. His friendships with 18 and 19 year old women is fucking weird. I'm not gonna be surprised if accusations eventually come out against him.

20. Daniel182

Which women?

21. transrebel59

Regular

Specifically, beabadobee - There's an interview where she says he would take her shopping when she was 17 and that has always made me really weirded out by him. Furthermore, Gabriella Brooks. I think they started dating like within a few weeks of her turning 18.

Could be totally innocent but always weirded out by dudes close to/over 30 routinely hanging out with teenagers

22. Daniel182

Fair enough. I know bea is on their label and he pushes her music a lot, but I don’t know anything about how close they are personally.

23. gfunk

Yep I apologise and I am sorry for detracting from the message.