Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 Retire The Pink Aesthetic • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 15, 2017.

1. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

"Bob Iver" only has three albums.

2. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

As does LCD Soundsystem to date.

smowashere likes this.
  3. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Bon Iver also having released a little over 2 hours of music officially, where as this band probably has twice that amount.

smowashere, Jason Tate and FTank like this.
  4. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Radiohead is on a planet where they have sucky albums like Pablo Honey and Moon Shaped Pool as well as good ones and really really good ones, while the 1975 has only put up awesome music with only 2 or 3 being not as awesome.

St. Nate likes this.
  5. Hugo G.

FKA whiterussian Supporter

Well winter is here, so...
    (had to make the GoT joke, sorry)

Ryan Gardner likes this.
  6. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Can't we just enjoy this band ?

7. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

coleslawed and Bryan Diem like this.
  8. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I was wondering why an article about The 1975 retiring the pink aesthetic got over 30 posts. Now I know why. It's music. No band is "officially" better than any other band. If someone thinks so, it's their opinion. I never got into The 1975 and I never got into Radiohead. I respect both bands for what they've accomplished. Fighting over bands is the equivalent of fighting over sports teams. No one should care that much.

9. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I COME INTO A THREAD TO TALK ABOUT THE GROUNDBREAKING COLOR MILLENNIAL PINK AND I HAVE TO ENDURE THESE RADIOHEAD COMPARISONS.

Not on Sunday, no thanx satan!!

10. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

watching the lights go out got me real emotional and i think thats special that a band can tweet out this seemingly random video and it carry such an impact on people

11. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Which album got destroyed by the press?

12. Bryan Diem

Trusted

An album getting destroyed by the press is absolutely irrelevant re: the quality of the album, does that really need to be said?

FTank likes this.
  13. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Cool idea to end an era. Unfortunately, I never could get into this band like others have.

Christian Romero likes this.
  14. aniafc

Trusted

Also wondering the same thing

15. Weird arguments in this 'ol thread.

16. The latest album, aggregate wise, did better than the first by the "press":

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 2.00.35 PM.png

(Even if I think most of us, here on a relatively obscure music site, can agree that the "press" is a weird metric to judge bands we like by.)

17. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Those scores are each about 30 points too low so you know it's a bad metric.

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Band absolutely knows what it's doing when it comes to marketing. You know they had this shot and finished before they even released the album.

Great band, although I did think the last album was less consistent than their debut. Loved seeing them several times over the last few album runs, and their performance at Reading last year headlining the second stage was fantastic. Hopefully they still play the odd show or festival over here whilst they write and record as it wouldn't take much energy to play the odd festival or something.

19. nsgob22

Newbie Supporter

I loved how mcr did this with their album cycles

Turkeylegz and Bryan Diem like this.
  20. TedSchmosby

Trusted

21. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

They won't, would go against everything they're trying to achieve with the marketing and "eras". Also I wouldn't want them to - once an album cycle begins it literally barely stops at all for about two years straight. I think they do it right, not overstaying a welcome and becoming the band that's "always fucking there" - instead touring a bunch then stopping to refocus. Also for their own good and health, I'm glad they do that.

That Reading show was a belter though for sure. Loved being in that tent.

22. aniafc

Trusted

I agree with you there. Even if we did want to say the "press" was THE way we judge bands, a 67 is still pretty good.

I would say most new "scene" bands would love to have those scores.

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

This band rules

24. 1975 are one of the ONLY interesting rock bands right now, when it comes to portraying what "traditional" rock aesthetics are all about. I don't see any other bands actually creating mystique about their albums. There was always a sense of pretension with Bowie/Queen and even bands like Oasis/Muse that starts off cheesy but ends up resonating with fans. I fully appreciate (and applaud) all that they do to keep that alive, especially in a world where A&R hype financing doesn't really exist and it's up to bands to keep things interesting.

Mr. Serotonin and skogsraet like this.
  25. zachmacD

Trusted

I was lucky enough to see these guys twice back in May. Their live show is something else and I can't wait to see them again when the new album comes out

Turkeylegz likes this.