Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 Protest Dubai’s Anti-LGBT Laws

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. thechetearly

Regular

Why play there to begin with?

3. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

to lay on some cultural pressure for change? Cool move imo.

ScutFarkus likes this.
  4. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

I’m all for this move in general. However, understanding how unforgiving some of these governments can be to their citizens - I sincerely hope nothing bad happens to the fan who he kissed. They have the opportunity to get out of dodge, but that person has to still live there.

once again, I’m all for it if nothing bad happens to the fan!

5. DearCory

Regular

My thoughts exactly.

Frank Lapidus likes this.
  6. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

A friend of the guy he kisses tweeted that his friend is 100% safe and that no one needs to worry about his safety.

Frank Lapidus and Analog Drummer like this.
  7. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Why not? People in the UAE deserve shows and not everyone may be aligned to the government’s stance on homosexuality. From a business standpoint, I imagine promoters in the UAE may offer a lot of money for acts to play there.

8. prattsy

Regular

Well now I hope the guy that tweeted that is safe! :concerned:

9. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

As a queer person who grew up in the UAE I'm both a bit disturbed and proud of this. Proud because seeing something like this would be monumental and an amazing thing for anyone living under such a repressive ideology. Disturbed because this could've easily gone south very quickly.

Also to anyone asking why even play there, go fuck yourselves kindly. Just be thankful you have the privilege of getting to see your favourite bands whenever you want and feel represented and affirmed so easily.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  10. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Exactly. The UAE has some extremely brutal laws against LGBT+ folks - life imprisonment and/or death, so this stuff is not a game.