Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form (May 22, 2020) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Nov 26, 2018.

1. RyanRyan Feb 24, 2019
    (Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2019)
    RyanRyan

I want more EP material to mope about and be sad to. When they ended that festival show recently with a Drive Like I Do song, I was so fucking excited and hopeful that they'd return to a more ambient, almost heavy sound. Love a decent chunk of ABIIOR, but I really hope Notes is the album that makes me feel the same way the EPs first did. Seems like a lot of folk are championing pop feel-good stuff, and that's great, but that's what ILIWYS is to me. The eccentric, self-aware stuff that makes me jig about.

TL;DR - make me sad again, The 1975. But don't be sad. Because people legit complaining about Keaton Henson potentially being happy and 'ruining' any chance of another depressing album is ridiculous. I love sad shit. But not to the extent I wish for the artists to be sad.

2. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

jlinitz and RyanRyan like this.
  3. RyanRyan Feb 24, 2019
    (Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2019)
    RyanRyan

*audible gasp*

Well colour me hyped. Been so long since songs have hit me as hard as the EPs did.

4. RyanRyan

Feels ridiculous being this excited about an album (based off a tweet from a band that notoriously changes their mind every five seconds and doesn’t stick to anything they say) after ABIIOR came out so recently. Just not the biggest fan of it as a whole for some reason.

I can listen to LIIWMI on repeat until the end of time. Sincerity is ace. It’s Not Living and the closing two are excellent. I just didn’t lose my damn mind like I was hoping.

I don’t know if I’ve become a cynical bastard expecting some sort of GOD TIER music that doesn’t exist, but it’s been a damn while since I got genuinely emotionally invested by an album. It’s almost like I’ve lost some of my passion over the last few years, especially with the disgraceful shit going on in certain scenes.

lettersandnumbers likes this.
  5. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I still think this album is incredible and I’m pumped for Notes

6. lettersandnumbers

Regular

It's an unfortunate consequence of being too into a band, but that emotional attachment is hard to replicate with every album. Chocolate will likely always be my favourite song because it represented the gateway into a band I've invested a lot of time and energy into and that connection only grows more resonant over time, but it also becomes a barrier to new 1975 songs vying for my attention.

I haven't returned to a lot of ABIIOR and it might be because I was tapped out after the singles. I might deliberately go into Notes with fewer expectations because of it.

RyanRyan likes this.
  7. RyanRyan

Completely agree. Expectation of the exact same reaction has dampened my response to newer material time and time again. Each album after has managed to replicate that feeling...but only in a few specific songs for me. Somebody Else and Love It If We Made are those.

I say it with every new album, but I really do hope I have the willpower not to overplay the singles. That way I’m not skipping through the album constantly to get to newer tracks. I hate myself for it, but that’s what I always find myself doing. In my defence though, they always seem to release SO many singles, or offer streaming on others. It’s excessive, but I guess that’s marketing - something I know next to nothing about.

8. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

The band revisiting the blueprints of what they laid down during the EP era, with the skill that they have acquired over the years, should be a surefire win

I hope they nail it for you guys this time around

9. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

This is great! Couple good tidbits that I didn't pick up on... apparently the MFC artwork is in the "Sincerity is Scary" video.

10. Neon Light

rage and love

Yes please!

11. lettersandnumbers

Regular

I think even if it doesn't, I would know that it hits for many other people and that's alright? If my interpretation of the EPs isn't the same as theirs, that won't diminish my appreciation of them.

12. RyanRyan

13. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

If he doesn’t hold true to his word that 28 is on it then I’m rioting

14. RyanRyan

Was it 28 that they ended that festival show with before they stopped touring for a while? The vids of that made my spine tingle. Matty bringing all this back up is very, very bloody exciting for me.

beachdude and nohandstoholdonto like this.
  15. drewinseries

Drew

I think Love It If We Made It is my fav 1975 song ever.

16. drewinseries

Drew

Lol the "thats the art for music for cars, the whole thing...but youll never see it" from that video breakdown.

17. RyanRyan

Is it just a white neon box? If he’s not taking the piss, that’s a little underwhelming haha. But it’s brill if it’s real and they actually did that.

18. nohandstoholdonto

Yep!

RyanRyan likes this.
  19. bodkins

Trusted

Didn’t know this thread was a thing somehow. Subbed.

smowashere likes this.
  20. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

well i know when ur around cause i know the sound i know the soUnd of ur fart

jorbjorb and JulieLynn like this.
  21. So is "Me and You Together Song" like a combo of the original "Me" and "You"? I always thought the contrast between the two was very cool, and very intentional given their titles.

RyanRyan likes this.
  22. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

:heart:

RyanRyan likes this.
  23. RyanRyan

I didn’t think about it like that but for goodness sake now I’m praying that’s what that title means haha! Especially if that includes Milk :eh:

ryanfears likes this.
  24. Milk is the most underrated song in any band's discography ever. BANGER.

25. nohandstoholdonto

happy 3rd bday to ILIWYS