Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form (May 22, 2020) Album • Page 58

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Nov 26, 2018.

1. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

Learned my lesson not to trust random comments on twitter

2. duritzfan13

all we have is time

I kinda figured it was blown out of proportion considering I couldn’t find a single comment concerned about the guy’s safety coming from anyone actually in Dubai.

I’m glad everyone is okay!

3. Yeah I figured a lot of the fan tweets just started some misconceptions. I think Matty goofed cause of the laws there but regardless I back what he did and I back the speech he made. Makes me proud to be a 75 fan.

4. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

ironically, the accountability thread is very often one of the most toxic threads on this entire site. if we wanna discuss celebrating performativity, we need not look further than half the goddamn posts in that thread.

5. Agreed. Sometimes I need to take breaks from that thread. I agree with the general notions but some people on here hold musicians to crazy standards. We're all human and we make mistakes, and as long as we handle them appropriately it's ok.

6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

that thread is awful and full of bad faith actors

Kyle Max, yocoxy, I Am Mick and 5 others like this.
  7. Blink182Bouncer Aug 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 15, 2019)
    Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

I agree with that thread thread a lot, and lot's of good has come out of it, particularly when fostering ethical conversations over the power dynamics of musicians and role of fan's support.

That being said being a fan of any of the artists in question is frowned upon to an unhealthy extent. I mean there are admittedly a lot of trolls that derail that thread (often trying to defend their faves, and often in an overly aggresive way), but you have to have a fairly open mind to even step into that thread, because you have to think critically about criticism affecting major figures in the industry, so assuming everyone who comes from a different perspective is a troll is a bit presumptuous.

I support the intention of that thread still, but it had a legitimately negative effect on my mental health so I stopped following it.

8. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

bad faith actor does not mean troll, at all, and there are very specific instances I could point to to illustrate my point but spending anymore time on what’s going on in there lately will be extremely bad for my mental health

tyramail likes this.
  9. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I think the overall intentions of the thread are obviously good, but the way people treat each other basically goes against what it is supposed to be fighting for

10. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

The same people who get upset at people policing scenarios do the exact same thing in different situations half the time. No one wants their feelings to feel invalid, while at the same time being so dismissive of any other stances that they’re invalidating others.

Blink182Bouncer likes this.
  11. nohandstoholdonto

:shrug2:

Attached Files:

sophos34 and tyramail like this.
  12. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

It’s also kind of annoying that marginalized groups, like lgbtq+ in this scenario, are expected to have a one size fits all reception to these types of situations.

13. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Hard to believe we’re within the week of new The 1975

14. Christopher Trang

Mike Stoklasa's Summary of Jurassic World

Yeah, I kinda let this one mellow and sneak up on me instead of obsessing over it this time. Still hard to believe, indeed.

15. The Summer Sonic set was super tight. Bummer they only had 30 minutes.

16. ramres

Next Show: Panchiko -- 5/3

These turned out rad

17. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

That is so fucking cool

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  18. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

the GREEEEEEEEN

19. I really hope the one with the whited out MFC big light ends up online

20. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

man 4 days awayyyyyyyy

Also, love you can see the rectangle under the solid green as well

21. nohandstoholdonto

The only thing I don’t like about this band is the long rollouts

RyanRyan and SpyKi like this.
  22. I cannot believe Matty actually wrote the lyrics "ignore it if you wanna, republic's a banana"

23. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

so I heard "people" last week
    it does NOT sound like The Beatles

GrantCloud likes this.
  24. RyanRyan

Yeah, Microwave announced their new album recently with just a month or so until it’s being released. Would love for this kinda thing to be more commonplace, but they’re dramatically different bands with drastically different fan bases and processes I guess.

Gotta promote tours and cater to all that I suppose.

25. RyanRyan

That’s a good thing in my books. Were people under the impression it did? I’m confused...

Anyway - was it good?