Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form (May 22, 2020) Album • Page 53

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Nov 26, 2018.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Love Me seems pretty easy to digest

David Parke likes this.
  2. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

It certainly wasn’t for me when they dropped it as the first single after the eps and the debut. I love the song now but it def wasn’t what I wanted or expected when it dropped. The sound is catchy af but pretty direct and safe imo

3. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

how in the world is tootime safe

GrantCloud, SpyKi, Contender and 6 others like this.
  4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

call me crazy but the 1975 making a pop tropical house song is not safe. the song is accessible, its a pop track, but the word safe is being used incorrectly

5. Jusscali

Maybe he meant simple? Straight forward? Easy for them given their talents?

6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

what is that last one even supposed to mean? it takes immense talent to make a song like tootime in the first place

alina, SpyKi, xapplexpiex and 2 others like this.
  7. Jusscali

Certainly outside their wheelhouse as a band but definitely not the most dynamic or expansive song in their catalogue...I think he was arguing the latter.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  8. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

tootime rules and definitely was a risk for them considering it was kind of out of left field for them. I love it and it goes off live

GrantCloud and Jason Tate like this.
  9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

besides the safest song the 1975 have made to date is she's american. its one of their best but its literally the only song on ILIWYS that's self titled pt. 2

10. bodkins

Trusted

*rolls eyes at thread. might come back later*

David Parke likes this.
  11. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Being restrained =/= simple

12. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

and to break it down even further simplicity =/= a bad thing

GrantCloud, bodkins, Joe4th and 2 others like this.
  13. Jusscali

I’m certainly no musician so any musical endeavor takes great talent to me but in terms of what it sounds like (lyrically and sonically) I, a lamen, would say it sounds almost rudimentary for them? I think it’s so fun and light that some might assume it parallels with the actual execution of the song (or what a casual fan might perceive it to be?). Definitely not Mr. Holland’s Opus.

14. Jusscali

Girls is pretty fun and light as well

15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

the word safe in the context of music tends to mean a repeat of something theyve already done before. playing it safe. its a criticism lobbed at bands who change very little about their sound throughout their career (bayside and new found glory come to mind).

SpyKi, Joe4th and oncenowagain like this.
  16. [​IMG]

GrantCloud, JBoch, RJ Knorr and 8 others like this.
  17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

fun and light does not equal safe

18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

am i being trolled

19. Jusscali

I don’t personally have an opinion about how he felt. I was just trying to throw him a bone and makes sense of what he may have meant instead of ramming a rod down his throat and talking to him like he’s intellectually disabled.

20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

thats an awfully dishonest reading of a post where i asked what makes tootime safe, you're the one who decided to jump in before he could even respond

21. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

and a prime example of why i tried to quit this thread. peace out again :peace:

David Parke likes this.
  22. Jusscali

Nothing they do is safe because they are always doing something different. I just assumed he meant to say those other things in regards to the x’s and o’s of making a song.

mellohart likes this.
  23. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

TOOTIME is definitely not one of their more rudimentary songs....it’s probably their most complex song sonically

24. mellohart

Regular Prestigious

Okay wow, let me clarify.

'Safe' in this context I'm defining as something that wouldn't sound out of place being played on heavy rotation on commercial radio, like top tier mainstream commercial radio without it being considered 'alternative' or 'indie' or whatever label you want to throw on it (which I completely see as being hypocritical in this context don't come for me).

Unfortunately, I completely forgot that this isn't me talking to people I'm working with creatively in which we use 'safe' as our way of saying it sounds too mainstream/chart/'normal' and we should push our boundaries a bit.

I definitely meant to use 'accessible' or 'rudimentary' in this context, and I'm sorry if I pushed a button there but my god.

25. mellohart

Regular Prestigious

I'll throw my hands up, I definitely used the wrong word in my question.

Pretty much this.