Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form (May 22, 2020) Album • Page 14

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Is this a Nick Cave reference? :chin:

jorbjorb likes this.
  2. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

For real tho HYPE

jorbjorb likes this.
  3. ramres

Next Show: Panchiko -- 5/3

Apparently it was Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America

4. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

this is my guess

I still really think Inside Your Mind is an homage to Shivers.

beachdude and Aregala like this.
  5. RyanRyan

For the love of all that’s holy I hope this is re-recorded for Notes. Give me an album of this and I’ll die a happy man. EPs, emo, guitar’n’b - yes yes yes.

beachdude, jorbjorb and Contender like this.
  6. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Wait..wtf is that?

7. RyanRyan

An old Drive Like I Do song (what they used to perform as) called 28 that they brought back to finish the ILIWYS era I think. Either way, the implication was that they’d be making an album like that soon. But ABIIOR came about. So fingers crossed Notes is finally it!

8. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

i just realized i've been posting in the ABIIOR thread like an idiot

9. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

DH00566 is pretty soon. The EP they put out last week was 551.

10. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Do they normally do it in order like that? Can’t remember for ABI

11. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Yeah they do. It's ordinal for every DH release, which includes albums, singles, individual pieces of merch, and promo materials (e.g. posters). However, that doesn't necessarily mean it will release in order. It's possible that it's finalized cover art or promo material without directly correlating with when it will come out.

12. Jusscali

Yes...please more of that shit.

RyanRyan likes this.
  13. sawhney[rusted]2

Yeah, after I posted I cross referenced with Discogs to see the release numbers and that’s exactly what it looked like.

14. nohandstoholdonto

”soil just needs water to be
    and a seed
    so if we turn into a tree
    can I be the leaves?”

15. nohandstoholdonto

I really really love this song now and can’t wait for the recorded version

16. Jusscali

The chorus is dope but the verses are meh. I can do with it another acoustic ballad Tbh

I Am Mick and RyanRyan like this.
  17. RyanRyan

Yeah, I winced at the masturbation line. Seemed kinda forced. And the religious opening line, regardless of context and intention, is just...not a fan. In before I get shat on for my opinion haha.

I will say I adore the searching for planes in the sea/irony line though.

18. nohandstoholdonto

the lyrics are what sealed the deal for me :shrug:, and the whole song is about religion, the opening line’s not just a random non-sequitur or whatever. Idk like idc enough to shit on anyone for having a different opinion, but it really connected with me last night and I think the chorus is really, really melodically beautiful in a very understated way.

19. RyanRyan

Oh I’m aware it’s not just random and it fits within the themes of the song, I just don’t outright enjoy hearing lines like that. It’s a personal thing. I’m glad you’re enjoying it! All I know is that I hope this isn’t a Notes track, as I selfishly need that Drive Like I Do/EPs/emo album.

The masturbation line is more off-putting to me anyway, because in my opinion it’s just there for the sake of being jarring. Don’t think it’s a great line and the delivery of it is iffy. I have no qualms with sexual lyrics, I will say - I just think this particular line sounded a bit of mess for me.

There’s some gorgeous lines (the aforementioned chorus for example), it’s just the ones that stick out for me tip the scales. I wasn’t huge on Be My Mistake either, so another acoustic ballad wasn’t going to be my favourite anyway. Knew that from the start.

20. nohandstoholdonto

Yeah, I mean that’s all fair, it’s all taste. I’ll admit the opening line was off-putting to me at first too but I really like how it gives way to the second half of that verse now that I’ve actually given the lyrics proper attention. I like the masturbation line bc, to me, it fits the theme the song is establishing (as I interpret it).

I’m also not gonna lie, I personally hope they don’t go too overboard in trying to live up to/capture that whole DLID/emo vibe, as someone who’s kinda drifting away from emo as a whole (and thinks the band has pretty much just gotten better with time). I’m sure I’ll love whatever they put out, but I just hope whatever it is is something that’s coming naturally and not forced (I doubt that’s the case, just putting my mild concerns out there). Idk.

21. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

holy shit

22. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Way more into this one than Be My Mistake.

23. sawhney[rusted]2

Recorded horns today, so we’re def getting more of that

24. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Probably still a ways off if they're still recording?

25. sawhney[rusted]2

Single in June and album August seems likely but what the fuck do we know lmao

GYAT was released before they finished recording too so