Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form (May 22, 2020) Album • Page 178

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Nov 26, 2018.

1. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I've pledged to only listen to each single once until the album comes out (been mostly successful so far) and on first impression this was my least favorite of the bunch so far, but it definitely strikes me as a song that will grow on me a ton in context of the album like Sincerity is Scary did

smowashere likes this.
  2. McClenaghan

Lurker Supporter

brendanmachow likes this.
  3. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Oh fuck yes Adam playing the banjo live

4. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

In a song/music video about internet life I think it'd be safe to say that the "weird stuff" refers to the internet discourse and not the issue itself.

beachdude, Paddy and RyanRyan like this.
  5. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Disagree

seimagery likes this.
  6. Chance Harbour

Regular

i need more banjo

Kyle Max likes this.
  7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This made me look at who he follows on twitter and I hope you're not talking about people like Jordan Peterson, Bill Maher, or Sean Hannity (note that those follows aren't necessarily reflections of Matty's politics, he follows Bernie, the Labour Party, AOC and Mayor Pete and others as well, though whatever one's politics I don't think there's any legitimate reason to follow Jordan Peterson or Sean Hannity on twitter).

By the way, no one is getting "canceled" for talking about anything. I've had a million complicated discussions about complicated things, and I challenge you to find anyone outside of the likes of Weinstein/Cosby/Spacey who has actually, legitimately, been "canceled".

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  8. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

John Mayer's great though.

9. Isn't he kind of a piece of shit though

GrantCloud and RyanRyan like this.
  10. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

if you observe the things he's said and done over the course of his career, yes

11. ethansawyer Feb 20, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 20, 2020)
    super reluctant to wade into any site politics buuuuuut

1) simply acknowledging Pinegrove and/or the allegations surrounding them really doesn't seem like it's giving them a 'platform'. given the context of the line, i think anyone who searches them out would be just as likely to google the 'weird' stuff around them too?

2) the Pinegrove stuff is also well documented on major websites (pitchfork, stereogum, billboard, washington post, new yorker, exclaim, etc), so it's a little presumptive to think listeners haven't been exposed to the story in some way already

3) JM is a piece of shit but he writes songs people like and the two things can be true simultaneously

to be clear, i don't fuck with pinegrove and i don't think matty is perfect. this just seems pretty minor imo.

EDIT: i used the word stuff when i honestly should've said allegations. that's what they are and i didn't mean to diminish them like that

12. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Does Matty say and do dumb stuff? Absolutely.

But anyone who's given a platform to talk and process things publicly will probably make some underthought points or ideas.

But Matty is also one of the most openminded and liberal people in the scene, and it's way better to start a converversation about uncomfortable issues, and occasionally get things wrong, than just lay low and do nothing because you're worried you'll be misinterpreted.

You can't learn without making mistakes, and you can't have a conversation without being uncomfortable.

beachdude, yocoxy and smowashere like this.
  13. I don't really want to derail a good thread here.
    For the record, not what I'm talking about at all. I do not like Bill Maher or even know who Sean Hannity is.
    I also think those 3 should be facing MUCH harsher consequences, especially Weinstein and Cosby

My point wasn't about politics at all. For the record I'm left and very progressive seeing as you seemed about ready to jump down my throat for maybe being on the right (kind of my entire point about just wanting to have a chill discussion). But I'm also from Australia, and politics isn't our default point/argument on everything.

I can assure you people are getting cancelled for wanting to talk about things, off the top of my head (I just woke up in Australia) if you want to look up James Damore, for example. But lets keep this a nice politics free 1975 thread :)
    Feel free to DM me if you want to keep this chat going. I spend a lot of my time looking into this sort of thing and I believe Matty does too.

14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I don’t want to derail either but suffice it to say I don’t want to talk to anyone who thinks James Damore just “wanted to talk about things” so peace

15. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

This is true and there are better places to make those mistakes and ask those questions than publicly to a legion of impressionable fans who will always think you can do no wrong IMO

Generally speaking

I don't have much to contribute that hasn't been said already, that's pretty much it. I just don't like the "no it's cool though" approach that people can sometimes have towards Matty who very often knows what he's doing and knows the ways what he says/does can be interpreted, and also am not like calling for his execution or any shit like that

16. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The worst thing I can think of that he's done was that (awful, stupid) Playboy interview in 2010, which (in the total context of what I've seen since then) isn't enough to make me dislike his (very good) music in 2020.

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

He said he has a David Duke dick, that was pretty bad

Edit:
    Also the usage of the N-word lol I forgot it was that explicit

ArmsLikeTeeth and Aregala like this.
  18. brendanmachow Feb 20, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 20, 2020)
    brendanmachow

not a doctor

John has come a long way. On stage shortly after the interview was released he apologized profusely and showed immense remorse for his words.

Looking at quotes of his from years ago makes him look like an entirely different person.

Good on him for changing.

*edit*

I also have to say that it's not ok that he used a racial slur

19. doesn't make it okay by any means, the quotes from that JM interview are awful and completely justify someone not liking or trusting him.

re: impressionable fans... idk i get that argument but also the band's fans are so vocal and have really never shied away from voicing their displeasure or concern with his actions.

i also think people need to be careful about imposing their morality onto art/consumers of a piece of art. not saying anyone's crossed a line here or anything but the idea that these fans (many of whom are young women and/or LGBTQ) are so clueless that they're gonna go support pinegrove seems unrealistic imo.

right now he's just acknowledging the situation. if he brings them on tour or something that's a completely different story.

unbornwhiskey likes this.
  20. RyanRyan

Five hour journey blasting the EPs coming right up.

:musicnote:I didn’t even see you when I liked you, now I ain’t got no time:musical:

21. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

EDD81A07-4EAD-4152-8B2F-00CD5C1FCF4F.png

22. MikeERayner

Trusted

Hahaha shit sorry dude. I thought I’d be able to upload it straight from my phone and when I couldn’t I wasn’t able to email it to myself either. I’ll try again.

23. mellohart

Regular Prestigious

They dropped I Like America in Cardiff and instead blessed them with Me and Undo.

Mad. Come on Finsbury, be a good setlist.

jlinitz, Daniel182, SpyKi and 2 others like this.
  24. jlinitz

John Linitz @jlinitz

"Me" live?? Fuuuck. I'd lose it

25. seimagery

instagram.com/thekissingglow/

Was lucky enough to see them play “Me” last time they were in DC. I’m excited that they’ve added “Milk” back in.

wrenleslie likes this.