Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form (May 22, 2020) Album • Page 177

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

Does it go thru ya
    When I’m talking to ya

astereo likes this.
  2. Sander

kflkmflkm

i'm still blown away by if you're too shy... if the live version is THAT GOOD the song could easily be the best they've ever written and probably the biggest song of their career. the pre-chorus and the chorus are just pure magic.

moura, sawhney[rusted]2 and beachdude like this.
  3. jlinitz

John Linitz @jlinitz

I'm trying to hold out on watching the live videos of "If You're Too Shy" but y'all are making it DIFFICULT

moura likes this.
  4. j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

It's like if She's American had a baby with It's Not Living in the key of happy.

5. Delysid

Regular

Yeah that’s a good way to put it for sure

j0nnymarrzbar likes this.
  6. drummerAVA

Trusted

Maybe a smidgen of Heart Out too...

moura and j0nnymarrzbar like this.
  7. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

This is the best song

8. big Alexi Murdoch vibezzz

9. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

Video is great but also I don’t feel great that I feel moved by it lol

10. Firstly, I love the song and don't really have a massive opinion on the video.

I think a lot of people (the accountability thread for one) are looking too deep into the pinegrove mention and the video itself.
    I've noticed Matty follows a lot of similar people I do on various social media, and a lot of those people just want to be able to have conversations about various subjects openly without fear of being cancelled in order to find the true meaning/origin of many of the subjects.

I think that's what Matty wants to do a lot, just talk about things openly, which we should all be able to do, without fear.
    There often isn't always a definite point because he hasn't figured it out yet (or no one has figured it out yet), it's just expressing a thought/idea or interest in a subject, not in a supportive or even non supportive way, just wanting to know more about it.

11. emojedi

Trusted

Is the nose thing from Berserk in this video cause it looks like it is and I fucking hope so

12. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Really? Because I don’t see many takes that take it farther than expressing some mild to moderate disappointment in the lyric.

13. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

All of this

drummerAVA likes this.
  14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yes I too think it's the Accountability Thread's fault for talking about... holding artists accountable for the things they say

15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I just watched the video/song. Honestly after reading the accountability thread first I was expecting a really gross line.

It’s not bad at all? It’s only problem if you ask me is he could’ve taken a moment to really call out Pinegrove instead of just making a throwaway line.

16. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Love the video so much

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  17. drummerAVA

Trusted

I had a moment with the songs we have so far today...

I just recently moved back to the Midwest, near my hometown, countryside vibes ya know? ...And I’m driving home from work, and it’s one of those days where there’s a light amount of snow on the ground, the sun is just starting to get lower, shadows getting longer, late afternoon... the sky was crystal clear... and as FSOM, TBP, and M&YTS are playing, I’m just like “man, this is it...”

Just perfect.

18. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I’m getting a lot of mid-career John Mayer from this song.

19. McClenaghan

Lurker Supporter

I think it's just the flippancy of reducing the allegations to 'weird stuff'. I don't think it's been a deliberate attempt by Matty to diminish the seriousness of the situation but I get why it's making people uncomfortable.

20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yes I could see that side. Fair point

21. sawhney[rusted]2 Feb 19, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 19, 2020)
    sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

The biggest thing for me is the intentional ambiguity in the way the line is presented in the song. The line, when “analyzed”, is a subtle and contextual condemnation of the band. But using the platform to name-drop the band in any context seems egregious at worst and in bad-taste at best, as he should know how some people interact his music and lyrics in a lackadaisical manner. He will direct people, however unintentionally, to listen to Pinegrove’s music and being as plugged in as he seems to be, should be very aware of that.

22. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

I love this fucking band. Alt country 75 I’m here for it.

23. brendanmachow

not a doctor

Love the song, love the video.

This was exactly what I needed today. It hasn't been an easy one.

Thank you to The 1975.

24. brendanmachow

not a doctor

Nailed it. God damn.

25. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Thankfully without John Mayer's grating vocals however

macbethfan and RyanRyan like this.