Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 - I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It (Feb 26, 2016) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. I know. $40. Ugh. I think I'm gonna just ask for it for my birthday. I keep moving it to my cart and then back out on Amazon.

2. Love the dude on Twitter with less than 200 followers telling me it's garbage. :-|

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I've got a gift card right now, so I went to check the price. I think the only record I've paid $40 for was Futures, and that's an all-time fav. Will probably wait to hear this first.

Was he talking about the new record or the first one? Either way, dude was weirdly upset.

4. I dunno, would be weird to talk about the first one based on what I said though. But, I never thought about it that way. EIther way, that kinda stuff is just like ... why would you say this to a human being you don't know? I'm a stranger. Hah.

I paid a lot for their first album on vinyl too and I'll end up getting this one, I like the album too much not too, but I'm not jumping on it yet. I can wait until April if I have to, I'm not worried it's gonna disappear.

5. At least 6 listens today front to back.

6. Keagan Ilvonen

I need this in my life :verysad:

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Sophos

Regular

you think this is gonna be a polarizing album like how "love me" was a really polarizing single? i still dont see how more people didnt absolutely love that song but man did quite a few people take issue with it haha. but, polarizing art is often the best art and it's great to see bands push themselves the way the 1975 are.

8. Craig Manning

I haven't even heard this and I know it's going to be polarizing, haha

9. It's interesting, I think on some level there's truth to the idea that if I say I really like something (or really dislike something) that that alone is enough to make it polarizing on the site. So, I'm prepared for that just to begin with. I think "Love Me" sticks out as a different kind of song on the album, and I get why that's polarizing, but I really don't think that the people that liked their first album, and like this kind of music, will be disappointed. I think that it'll be polarizing in that there will be a lot of people that don't like this kind of pop-music anyway and they'll check it out and they're gonna make the snarky "why do people like this?" comments. But the band really did make something different here, they did some weird stuff in the instrumentals, electronically, and you can tell they pushed themselves. And when you have over 13 minutes of just long electronic instrumental tracks throughout your album, it's gonna end up being polarizing just because.

I totally will understand people not liking it on the level that I do, because I connect a lot with the band, and this music, and what they're making -- but it's one of those albums that if you're a fan of music and especially of pop music, that you gotta at least be impressed with what they're doing, trying, and can respect the talent and creativity in making it. I already imagine the comments talking about how horrible it is, or how it sounds like a boy band, or what's with all the electronics, why doesn't it all sound like "Sex" and all that nonsense. But if someone truly thinks it's "horrible" then I don't even feel like it's worth engaging them in a conversation, because what's the point? Like we clearly aren't going to agree about music and what makes music great, so it's not worth it.

tl;dr: Yeah, it's gonna be polarizing, it's a dense album to get all the way through, and it's also so good.

10. Sophos

Regular

basically what i expected, haha. man i cannot wait for this one.

11. my advance just showed up and now i am jamming

Jason Tate likes this.
  12. If I Believe You .... holy moly

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. When the huge choir hits? So good.

14. Keagan Ilvonen

Can't wait to dig in :teethsmile:

15. JOIN MY CLUB OF FANDOM! EVERYONEEEEEE.

And then ... LOVE ME! (If that's what you wanna do.)

16. Craig Manning

I hate you all. Where do I get this?

17. Keagan Ilvonen

18. ugh I'm so mad I don't have this advance anymore haha

19. man UMG really was the pits today - what a fuck up

20. That's such a weird, and stupid, thing to do. I can't even fathom what happened there.

21. Jason Tate Feb 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Feb 6, 2016)
    Laughed out loud at the same guy that told me Fall Out Boy wouldn't break out doing it again with The 1975.

22. Craig Manning

This album is wonderful.

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. Craig Manning

Seriously can't gush enough about this thing. Such a monumental accomplishment. Definitely my favorite thing I've heard so far this year.

Jason Tate likes this.
  24. Yaaaaaaaaassssss. I feel the same. They took some risks, they didn't just settle, and somehow they pulled it off and still managed to write some catchy as hell songs.