Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 - A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships (November 30, 2018) Album • Page 531

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Mar 2, 2017.

1. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Hard to disagree with that. ILIWYS is probably my personal favorite due to the cinematic pacing and flow, and the more “widescreen” feeling of the production.

But lyrically ABIIOR is more “profound” yet universal, especially considering the focus on the positive nature of rehabilitation and mental health. ILIWYS certainly nails it at points, and the level of cynicism really spoke to me when I was going through a period of abusing alcohol. ABIIOR’s lyrics will probably stand the test of time to me though, rather than speak to a specific moment in my life.

Also, compositionally, some of the songs of ABIIOR are just a cut above anything else they’ve done (I.e. Sincerity, HTD//Petrichor, LIIWMI) that it’s hard for me to argue otherwise.

In conclusion, this band is pretty ok

AVanMill17 and evanmeindl like this.
  2. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Honestly I prefer Iliwys lyrically by quite a bit. Abiior might have lots of staggering heights but there are a few parts that really don't hit for me

3. toss up imo

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  4. sawhney[rusted]2

I’ve never been a huge fan of songs that center around heartbreak, love and etc, and those are the songs on ILIWYS that speak to a lot of people, so I think it comes down to personal preference

Be My Mistake is my case for why Matty stop writing those types of songs

Bryan Diem likes this.
  5. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

ILIWYS is slightly ahead for me, it's just such a well put together album.

6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Lyrically a brief inquiry is more consistent but ILIWYS hits just a tad bit harder, probably because of what I was going through when it came out and the meanings I drew from the songs then

7. russvanderhoof

pizza.~

Saw them on Saturday in Rochester Hills, MI. Haven't missed one of their Michigan sets yet. Unbelievable sound & production. However, everyone other than Matty seemed like they were "going through the motions." I get how the middle of a tour can feel. But one of my favorite things about them live was the energy & fun they have on stage. Hope everything is ok internally. Cold weather, could have been just one of those nights.~

8. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

I am trying to come around to Be My Mistake, but I almost always skip it. Otherwise ABIIOR is a perfect album to me.

sawhney[rusted]2 and Aregala like this.
  9. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

this is me tbh

hate to beat the dead horse on that song but it's the main thing that holds ABIIOR back from that ILIWYS level for me

(still an absolutely incredible album FWIW)

unbornwhiskey likes this.
  10. SpyKi

I still don't love the closer. It always hurts when an album ends on your least fav song. The self titled has the same problem for me.

11. sawhney[rusted]2

Is There Anybody is probably my least favorite 1975 song

My Dad loves I Always Wanna Die so that’s enough for me to adore the hell out of it

12. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

"I Always Wanna Die" is perfect and I cried when they played it last week

I get it not being everyone's vibe though

13. StreetSpirit

play the blues, punk Supporter

You must have a faulty copy, the closer on mine is a song called “I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes)”

Carrow, Matt Chylak, bodkins and 4 others like this.
  14. drummerAVA

Trusted

I was there, WAYYY in the back... it was definitely cold, but I didn’t really feel this way at all. Granted I was half a mile away lol so idk, but I thought they looked good up there anyway... George was definitely killin’ it...

But yeah, they sounded fantastic! Somebody Else and Chocolate sounded particularly good and The Sound was a fun closer.

15. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

IAWDS was fucking beautiful live and is v special to me

ILWYS has ballad so i think it slightly edges out ABIIOR for me.

16. SpyKi

Mine too, just don't dig that chorus man.

I know, I'm a bad person.

17. StreetSpirit

play the blues, punk Supporter

Haha, you’re good. I love the song on every level but I can see how the chorus especially wouldn’t land with some people, it’s fairly repetitive.

18. Bryan Diem

Trusted

If we're being honest I don't care for Mine's lyrics. "There comes a time..." Part especially

19. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Still don't care for "Mine" or "I Couldn't Be More In Love". I don't care if that makes me a monster but I must live my truth in that if those 2 were cut from the album I wouldn't skip a single track on this album.

TriangularDuck likes this.
  20. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Mine is probably in my top three/five from the album :shrug:

Matt Chylak, ramres, Joe4th and 2 others like this.
  21. sawhney[rusted]2

You’re not a Chewbacca youre just Jabba in disguise

Bryan Diem and Aregala like this.
  22. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Take that back. Do what the Wookiee says.

23. Absolutely ascended during the Robbers > fallingforyou > You section of last night’s set

Owlex, Joe4th, drummerAVA and 4 others like this.
  24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

New video from similar-to-1975-vibe Nightly

zachmacD likes this.
  25. zachmacD

Trusted

Someone, a couple pages ago, mentioned a bunch of bands similar to the 1975 including Nightly. I think Joan has been my favorite of the bunch. "Love somebody Like You" takes me to a different world

Ferrari333SP likes this.