Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 - A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships (November 30, 2018) Album • Page 529

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Shrug. I don’t think the music is a “rip off,” he’s been doing stuff like this for years. Those influences have been there a while. Sleepwalker was like 7 years too early.

2. chris-wrecker

Trusted

DED14B6B-A944-4671-82F0-516E5B262640.png
    I’m curious what you have to say about the artwork then at least??

And for those who haven’t heard the song I’m taking about

3. 80s inspired art and neon lights is all the rage. You should see what The Midnight do with it. The square and hands remind me of The 1975 and Fickle Friends. He’s doing shapes and photos for singles:

4. chris-wrecker

Trusted

I dunno man..

5. Dunno if you’re gonna get worked up about all the 80s inspired bands lately he’s a weird one to pick since it’s been in his DNA from like 2005 :shrug:

The 1975 borrow from a lot of the same influences. Hard for me to call it a rip off when he was messaging me New Order songs on AIM.

The photos are cool on instagram:

sawhney[rusted]2 and bodkins like this.
  6. chris-wrecker

Trusted

Worked up? It is a little ridiculous. Curious what others think, or if I’m crazy to thinking everything is just a TAD too similar

7. bodkins

Trusted

Thank you two for introducing me to this song/band, it’s dope as hell.

morken and Jason Tate like this.
  8. Jason Tate May 9, 2019
    (Last edited: May 9, 2019)
    I mean you’ve spent the night in multiple threads now that’s all I was saying ... and I was just saying I don’t think it’s a “rip off” because I’ve seen him grow into this since he was releasing albums on militia group, and like yeah this sound is popular now, but I’d rather the dude that’s been doing it for years keep doing it than Emarosa jump on the bandwagon all of sudden comparatively. :shrug: And I really like 80s inspired music! (And I’m the guy that always argued I don’t think The 1975 are ripping off their influences either.)

9. chris-wrecker

Trusted

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying I don’t like the tunes

10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I can see the rectangles being a case of parallel thinking, but that pink neon sign in a bedroom is a litttttttle suspicious

Cameron and chris-wrecker like this.

11. And if anyone is looking for more upcoming music in this vein (and yes aesthetic), Victors are worth keeping an eye on

12. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Slow down is better, but they’ve been pretty great for a little bit.

13. Jusscali

Wish the panic division guy could sing so I could try to compare the two lolololol

14. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

What’s the best Panic Division song?

15. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I've never heard more obnoxious sounding drums

16. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Panic Division is the band that made the "Love Will Tear Apart The Goddamn Door" song right

17. “Big Day” I think was the relatively popular one from back in the day.

jorbjorb and Matt Chylak like this.
  18. Always loved that one, I think I remember hearing it on ap.net first at the time

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I concur about "Victors" - this style and aesthetic is so in right now, and I'm all for it; the more we get from whoever the better

jorbjorb likes this.
  20. Jusscali

So Victors doesn't fall in the 1975 copy cat bands you detest? Surprised. Who is in that group and who is not in that group?

smowashere likes this.
  21. Jusscali

Loyals, Arizona, The Wldlfe, Nightly, Victors, Joan, Brette, San Scout, Prides, Los Leo, True Blue, Hotel Apache, La Bouquet, and new(er) Cruisr have all been in pretty constant rotation this spring.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

All these, sooo good

23. Jusscali

I'm definitely forgetting one or two, but it's a weekly mad-dash to see if new tunes drop on Friday. The Band Camino, Nightly, and Hotel Apache are all really big on my one's to watch list, but San Scout is a dark horse.

24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

"Twenty Something" by Nightly I've probably listened to more than any other track in the last month; just love the flow, the lyrics, the mood, everything

25. Jusscali

I love it, but I also love No Call, No Reply just as much. Can't believe they've been so active just after releasing that great EP/LP whatever it was.

Ferrari333SP likes this.