Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 - A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships (November 30, 2018) Album • Page 269

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Mar 2, 2017.

1. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Cole Porter jazz? Innnnnn

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  2. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

That article was incredible

3. drewinseries

Drew

My therapist is very into equine therapy. Pretty cool to see it talked about here.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

For those of you who love the late night vibes from The Blue Nile's "Hats", I highly suggest you check out the new album by "The Paper Kites", titled "On The Corner Where You Live". It'll be right up your alley, trust me. Best listened to on headphones if you can

morken, seimagery, astereo and 3 others like this.
  5. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

6. GBlades

Trusted

Got my tickets for Glasgow in January!!

7. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'm going to Birmingham.

8. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

Based on the first couple tracks, this is sounding great. Thank you.
    I'm also hearing some The Night Game and maybe Young in the City in this. Very much my cup of 8tea's (ok that was lame)

Ferrari333SP and Jason Tate like this.
  9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

jesus christ, the way matty's voice jumps up effortlessly in the line "but ive not found a way to tell you" in narcissist. like fuck

10. RyanRyan

Listening to it now - isn’t that autotuned though? Like I can appreciate it’s not entirely autotuned but it definitely helps the effortlessness aspect of it in that instance.

11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

the fact it was written and executed that way is more important than whether it’s autotuned or not

12. RyanRyan

I mean I clearly misinterpreted your comment as it being a feat of Matty’s vocals as opposed to it being a point about the execution. Never mind.

sophos34 likes this.
  13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

oh yeah I mean matty does sound good but it’s more the way the melody is written that impresses me, it’s extremely catchy but emotionally resonant too

RyanRyan likes this.
  14. RyanRyan Sep 23, 2018
    (Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2018)
    RyanRyan

I really like the song but always have a bit of an awkward feeling about certain lyrics - could be misinterpreting again but it’s not the first time I’ve caught myself singing 1975 lyrics that seemingly romanticise cheating. The delivery catches me off-guard.

EDIT: Reading the lyrics now it looks as if they’re not directed at the person he’s seeing but someone he’s close with. Still though. Paris has the references to cheating I guess.

15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

its not about cheating at all, its about telling someone you used to be with that you're seeing someone new

RyanRyan likes this.
  16. RyanRyan

Yeah, I edited my post. Paris tho.

17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i mean.....paris is my favorite song of all time because of the lyrics so...

its pretty silly to cherry pick one line out of the entire song and interpret it as romanticizing what's being portrayed. the entire point of the song is how romanticizing bad shit always, always, always ends poorly, whether thats cheating or drug use it seems extremely clear to me neither of those things is being promoted in a positive light

SpyKi and RyanRyan like this.
  18. RyanRyan Sep 23, 2018
    RyanRyan

I’m aware of that yeah, but it’s still a line I’ve always felt a little off about. Don’t think it’s silly to feel that way personally. Just a feeling based off my own experiences. Plus it’s always kinda been a thing with the band delivering certain subject matter under a more accessible guise.

sophos34 likes this.
  19. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

well i didnt say its silly to feel that way just the cherry picking of one line out of the whole song thats silly. but thats fair, i think the line is important in painting the main character in the song as severely flawed though

SpyKi and RyanRyan like this.
  20. RyanRyan

I can appreciate the character and the context of the line - was just saying was that that specific line makes me feel a bit iffy when I’m singing it aloud with such confidence haha. Anyway, won’t bother going on about it. It is cherry-picking, for sure.

sophos34 likes this.
  21. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i can feel that, like how idk how its gonna feel to be singing along and then "i moved on her like a bitch" coming up, but i love the song and lyrics

RyanRyan likes this.
  22. RyanRyan Sep 23, 2018
    RyanRyan

That and the suffocating line, yeah! At least with that it’s clearly delivered with a lot of venom/disgust. It’s probably my favourite song of theirs from the new lot, but I have thought twice about recommending it to folk so excitedly.

sophos34 likes this.
  23. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i think im the opposite, i think the lyrics are things people need to hear and reckon with even if its not the most comfortable thing, and thats why i love matty for writing it

24. Psychslikeyou

Stupid care packages still on production delay. They were supposed to ship around August 24th, still not shipped yet. :( wondering if they will ever end up shipping or if they’re gonna do refunds

smowashere likes this.
  25. Psychslikeyou

Did you get an update or are you still just gonna wait it out until they ship them? I was thinking about possibly cancelling my order because I feel like at this point, they would’ve had them ready to ship even if delayed. It’s a month past. I feel like they might end up doing refunds for them, idk.