Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 – A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 30, 2018.

1. This album does not sound like a Bon Iver album. It has elements of it in a few songs. And elements of other bands and artists in others. And in the last ten years I don’t think Radiohead have had nearly the influence or impact as they did the previous ten, the two albums they released were good, but not nearly as influential or music world defining as everything that came before.

2. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

All of those bands are certainly influential and important, but your perception of “our time” might be a bit off.

Radiohead and Sufjan are both past their peaks of how influential they are, with Radiohead peaking before King of Limbs (even though Moon Shaped Pool was incredible) and Sufjan peaking right around Age of Adz (early 10s). The 1975, who’s legacy is just starting to be formed with this album, and will probably continue for the foreseeable future.

There’s no other band right now that has the perfect cross between accessible, poignancy, and relevancy. Would love to hear other bands you think are currently more important though

3. indigopigment

But an album you admit borrows and is influenced by many other bands and artists is music world defining? I mean, the band said themselves that they needed to make this album like an OK, Computer -- and then proceeded to record The Man Who Married a Robot, which is at best a homage to Fitter Happier and at worst a complete rip off.

So again, I think it's a bit of an overreaction to claim that The 1975 have become the most important band of our time. Unless you are defining "our time" to 10 year intervals, which you seem to be suggesting with your Radiohead comment. And even if that's the case, which would be a weird time frame, I would say In Rainbows and the pay what you want marketing has and will have a much larger influence on music than this album. And Sufjan, who has constantly defined and redefined what a single artist can successfully do as a musician, I believe, is much more significant in the grand scheme of things.

4. indigopigment

So what is your definition of "our time," then? Is it limited to a day, a week, maybe a month or two? Seems pretty short sighted to me. When I think of "our time" I think generational, which goes back much further than the 2010s.

And to say Sufjan peaked with Age of Adz is absolutely wild. Have you not listened to Carrie & Lowell? Because that may be his best if not second best album. And I still think In Rainbows, A Moon Shaped Pool, 22, A Million, For Emma, Bon Iver, Bon Iver are far superior albums.

5. What band and art and music defines a period of time has factors that matter more than just what the band that did it were influenced by. Being influenced by something doesn't mean you're not capable of defining music and being important in your own right.

The band started releasing music under this name less than ten years ago, so, I'm using the time frame of when they started making music as "this time" when talking about the most important band of the moment/right now as "our time." I clarified what I was referring to in my first post. I do not think there's another band that better incapsulates what this period in history feels like. They are the perfect band at doing it ... and therefore the most important, for holding that mirror up to what this last decade has been.

In Rainbows was 11 years ago and the pay what you want model didn't really pan out, they also weren't the first, or most successful to do it. However, streaming was the future. The artists that started giving away their music, or even doing early 360 deals and focusing on touring and merch revenue ... have had a far bigger impact on music. Sufjan hasn't had the mainstream success to fit into my definition. You need to have bridged the cultural zeitgeist, and been massive with kids, teens, and adults, while also being a critical success to be in that conversation. The die-hard, massive, fandom this band has created plays a big roll.

AVanMill17 and Drew Beringer like this.
  6. indigopigment

So basically "our time" started when The 1975 began releasing music under that name? Not sure I follow some of this logic, but appreciate the points you make nonetheless. While I obviously don't agree, I will accept most important of "the moment," as a more logical descriptor.

Analog Drummer and Jason Tate like this.
  7. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Hmm. No. Im pretty sure all important art is completely self-contained and takes no influence from anything else. If you've ever heard other music and incorporated things you like about it into your own music, you are unoriginal and therefore unimportant. For example, Miles Davis came up with jazz music all by himself

Drew Beringer likes this.
  8. Buscemi knows best

You owe me a Sausage McMuffin

Pains me deeply to say this, but this is by far my least favorite release by them. Have loved pretty much everything they've done until now, but this record is just not for me. Damn.

Pepetito likes this.
  9. damn maybe Buscemi DOESN'T know best :-p

hope it comes around for you

10. I think of "our time" as the current block we're in. Not my entire life. Not even the last twenty years.

The two artists I think have been the most important in this time have been Kendrick and The 1975. This latest album from The 1975 defining 2016-2018 in a way that goes beyond just the lyrics of, what I think are the best song of 2018, "Love it If We Made it," but actively becoming a mirror to the culture on and offline of these past few years. (And the influence from their previous album has influenced music and production just about as much as anyone in pop/rock realm during that time as well.)

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  11. Haha.

Yeah, I could get thinking it's their third (or fourth depending on what you do with the EPs) best release, but if you've loved the rest of what they've done, I am shocked someone doesn't like it at all. Even being the third ranked album (I currently have it at #2), I think The 1975 fans by and large are still very happy with it.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  12. currytheword

Trusted

I don’t see the big relevancy in the 1975’s current status. They are a very big band right now and have been, over their span of time as a band, growing their fan base. But, this music isn’t saying anything to me that hasn’t been said or done before. I don’t find it groundbreaking. I don’t really feel the full band’s presence on this album much either.

On some positives, I’m happy Matty is doing much better and I like his work a lot on Love It, Sincerity, and I Always (even though I hate the name of this song).

I do love everything they’ve done up to this album. I have no doubt I’ll likely be into the next release.

Anna Acosta and Analog Drummer like this.
  13. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

For me personally, Conor Oberst is the most important artist of our time.

VanderlyleCrybaby likes this.
  14. Buscemi knows best

You owe me a Sausage McMuffin

I am certainly rooting for that to happen, too!

15. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Great review. I could never get into this band previously and thought Give Yourself a Try had turned me off for good. I'm glad I gave them another chance. Still not into that track but liking a lot of this record. It's even encouraged me to listen back to their last album and see if that one now clicks.

16. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

It’s weird for me to conceptualize what it means to be “important” in a world where private streaming trumps massive radio play and it thus feels like most of my friends haven’t even heard of them. but if LIIWMI doesn’t capture 5 years of millennial angst in 1 song then no song does. That song should be blaring from every rally/protest/etc at all times.

17. It's okay if folks don't agree here and it's key to remember that music (and its quality/relevance) is subjective. This album and band will likely never sit at the top of how this moment in time feels for me (or many others) or my experience, but I can respect that for some that's not the case. Important to remember that there's a "to me" attached to the end of every piece of art criticism - objectivity is a myth and we all see through the lens of our experiences and tastes. (There's also nothing wrong with chiming in and saying you don't get the fuss, or defending the original stance. We like what we like.)

At any rate, it's a wonderfully written, passionate review and I liked the record.

18. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

This is a post I need to quote and save for 3/4th of the arguments on chorus

Anna Acosta and JRGComedy like this.
  19. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

No you don’t eff you!

Seriously though, great post and totally agree. That point gets lost a lot of times.

Bad Frequencies likes this.
  20. Analog Drummer

Regular

Stop making so much sense

Mary V and Anna Acosta like this.
  21. Tbh, it's something I wish critics would remind themselves (or ourselves, I guess, since once or twice a year I get inspired enough to write about actual music and not just the surrounding social issues) of as well. We know the quote about power and responsibility, but it'd be nice to have something similar regarding with great platform comes great humility.