Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 – “TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME” • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Iamhollywood315

Regular

This band is going to shit based those songs I’ve heard. Christ

2. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Lol!!!

3. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

Sounds like this could be an old hellogoodbye song.

warriorsam and trevorshmevor like this.
  4. xenoabe

Regular

I like it. #micdrop

5. zachmacD

Trusted

the vocals are fine. the chorus or whatever is awful though." this is the line 1 time, I think i'll say it 2 times, what about 3 times, no, i'll say it 4 times"

6. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Yikes. That was rough. 2/3 so far though! Don’t know why they went so heavy on the auto-tune, he has a nice voice and I think him either regularly singing it, or just toning down the auto-tune would have made this a lot better for me, personally. Still looking forward to the album

7. jorbjorb

7 rings

Probably my favorite 1975 song to date.

Ryan likes this.
  8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

My least favorite of the new songs, but still good.

I dunno, I just like this band. Not really any other significant opinions here.

9. duritzfan13

all we have is time

i will fight hard against this statement. the point of the entire song would be diminished if he didn't repeat that. it's literally the epitome of somebody getting called out. "i swear it was only once" leads to "ok maybe it was twice," etc. perfect way of putting it IMO.

"Only called her one time, maybe it was two times
    Don't think it was three times, can't be more than four times
    Think we need to rewind, you text that boy sometimes!
    Must be more than three times! Didn't mean to two time ya"

10. atlastitsok

Regular

Haven’t listened yet - is that an actual lyric or are you making a joke? Hoping it’s the latter...

zachmacD likes this.
  11. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Actual lyric. Not making a joke. And I agree with @duritzfan13.

12. chilllll

Regular

yea its catchy and from the lyrics id think its portraying a situation like that imo

13. prattsy

Regular

The one thing I've found a tad unsettling with the first 3 songs that they've released is that at times the music is a bit congested. I'm not sure if it's the way it's mixed or what, but they have all these ideas and stems of instrumentation layered over each other and the sum of all the parts is "noise".
    Example: The second chorus of LIWMI (I think it's 2:00 mark - at work so can't check). There's a fair bit going on but it doesn't really leap out and hit the dynamic they aim for. It's a shift sure, but it's all leveled out the same. This song suffers the same fate. There are points where there's just so much that nothing really sticks out or resonates musically - it's just muddled almost.
    If anyone in here has an advanced knowledge of compression and mixing, I'd love to know if there's evidence to back this or if it's just me.

I'm a giant 1975 fan and I love most of their music and really do like all 3 new songs, but sometimes restraint is good and should be exercised.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  14. zachmacD

Trusted

I get it. I still don’t want to hear it in a song

currytheword likes this.
  15. brothemighty

Trusted

Purty good. Travis Scott vox aren't always my thing, but I bet this sounds fine contextually

16. chilllll

Regular

yea thats what i said earlier in the thread. its not mixed as well as the other records. imo... lofi is a sound some people try to go for i guess... never could understand why

17. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Dying at this sound being called "lo-fi"

18. chilllll

Regular

how else would you describe a bad mix that wouldve sounded better otherwise?

google the definition if youd like

19. sawhney[rusted]2

Ok so take what I say with a grain of salt

But ILIWYS is one of the best produced pop rock records of our generation. I think @sophos34 would back me up on this, but I’ve read several articles about how they went about recording the songs for that and the s/t, and it is absolutely mesmerizing.

They actually recorded all of the parts live and then processed them through each “plug-in” (live or not) through an analog system, to their DAW. Mike Crossey ‘s process is generally like this, but the band wanted bombast in their sound, so doing it analog was the best way to approach it. Read this article https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.soundonsound.com/people/secrets-mix-engineers-mike-crossey?amp
    if you want a greater appreciation for the nuances of the recording process.

All I can say, is if you’re not a fan of the sound that is produced, you’re not. But it is objectively an immaculately produced record for the cinematic aspect the band was going for.

smowashere likes this.
  20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Dying more at auto tune being called “Travis Scott vocals”

beachdude42 and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  21. chilllll

Regular

and i admit the lofi comment is a bit exaggerated. sometimes i say the first thing i think which isnt right.... listeninf to the song rn tho- shit bumps!

22. sawhney[rusted]2 Aug 16, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 17, 2018)
    sawhney[rusted]2

it’s ok! The last record was so clean this this sound “lo-if” by comparison, but it’s really not

23. duritzfan13

all we have is time

I love all three new songs but the production is not nearly as good as the first two records IMO. And I get that they're obviously trying to go for something different sonically so it's not always fair to compare, but I had high standards from their past releases. Songwriting is as good (if not better) than ever so I just wish the mixes were at least a little cleaner on these. "TOOTIME.." is the best sounding so far in my opinion

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  24. brothemighty

Trusted

It's not auto tune