Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 15:17 to Paris (Clint Eastwood, February 9, 2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by brandon_260, Jan 9, 2018.

1. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Just found out Clint's back, baby!!!

Three Americans face a terrorist attack aboard a train bound for Paris.

2. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

He directed this? Wow. Saw the commercial a couple of times over the weekend and thought it was something on par with that movie featuring real soldiers from a few years back.

3. It is the movie featuring the real soldiers.

4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This has such an odd supporting cast. Jenna Fischer, Judy Greer, Jaleel White, Thomas Lennon, Tony Hale.

I haven't seen much of Eastwood's work from the last decade, but Sully was fun and Gran Torino is a masterpiece. He has made so many incredible films though. One of the best American directors around.

Aregala likes this.
  5. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I meant Act of Valor, couldn’t remember the name. Never would’ve guessed this was made by someone of Eastwood’s caliber — has similar early/new filmmaker vibes — though he does have plenty of duds himself.

6. Morrissey

Trusted

7. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Do you follow Neil Bahadur on Letterboxd? He’s way more articulate on Eastwood than I am, but he’s written two piece on Gran Torino that get to the core of what makes the film so great. If you’re interested: dreamland and https://boxd.it/5Q005

Aregala likes this.
  8. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

:heart: :heart: :heart:

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Aregala likes this.
  10. Morrissey

Trusted

I didn't see Gran Torino for years after it came out, but a lot of the praise for it, especially from French critics, is a lot of projecting based on his former work. It has some of the worst acting I have ever seen in the movie, and having himself play the man that gives his life to save the kid is too indulgent.

11. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

idk why but you liking eastwood is truly surprising to me

he’s been hit or miss for me. i’ll check this out still

brandon_260 likes this.
  12. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I think he's great! I only really got into him last year when I watched a ton of his stuff. But like Unforgiven, Breezy, Million Dollar Baby, Gran Torino, Mystic River, Bridges of Madison County are all like masterpieces or very near to me. Stuff like Space Cowboys and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil are great too. I think he's one of the best contemporary directors making films in the classical style of John Ford and such. The pieces I linked above (and more from that writer) as well as the Cahiers du Cinema writing on him helped shape my view of his work.

Aregala and primavera like this.
  13. primavera

i think his most recent material has kinda sullied my overall opinion of him and the previous stuff unfairly, bc yeah, a lot of those films stand up as pretty great in my mind still

brandon_260 likes this.
  14. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Did you like Sully?

15. primavera

i didn’t see it in the best setting and was a bit distracted but it seemed fine, yeah

brandon_260 likes this.
  16. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I'm gonna try and squeeze in one or two of his recent films I haven't seen before this comes on Friday. What should I pick?

The Changeling
    J Edgar
    American Sniper
    Jersey Boys
    Hereafter (seen before but I barely paid attention and it was at least 6 years ago)

17. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I love Jersey Boys lol but I know I’m firmly in the minority on that one

From everything I’ve heard, Changeling is one of his worst

Haven’t seen the others but plz report back !!

brandon_260 likes this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I've only seen The Changeling ten years ago from that list, I don't remember how it was

brandon_260 likes this.
  19. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I was leaning towards Jersey Boys above all because I lot of people I follow and trust think very highly of it. There’s older stuff I’m more interested in but I wanna fill the recent gaps before the new one.

I finally watched Flags of our Fathers yesterday which I thought was great. One of his most directly damning films about the failures of America. Really want to see the other Iwo Jima film now.

Aregala likes this.
  20. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I need to revisit Flags of our Fathers.

I watched it like 3/4 years ago when I was just starting to really get into film, let alone Eastwood, and don't think I gave it the attention it deserved.

Haven't seen Letters from Iwo Jima either but I've had the DVD sitting here for months oops

brandon_260 likes this.
  21. Morrissey

Trusted

J. Edgar has a lot of great unintentional comedy. They make Leonardo DiCaprio look like Charles Foster Kane when he trashes the room.

22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Clint is one of my top 5 favorite directors. I'm looking forward to this.

23. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

American Sniper is terrible, but what do I know? Also, I haven't seen any of the others.

24. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Changeling is great but the source material is disturbing. I later read “The Road Out of Hell” based on the Wineville Chicken Coop murders and it’s fucked up!

25. Clint is my all time favorite.