Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 100 (CW) TV Show • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Oh my gosh that episode. What a great story-telling episode. So much was advanced and I can begin to see how the season is going to take shape, though they're probably going to flip it on its' head and do something weird with it because we all saw a huge war coming last year instead it was secret agent Clarke on her death mission. (I loved it, not talking shit).

2. Lindsey Morgan was amazing and the episode was horrifying in so many good ways, but the Ontari/Murphy scene was just a huge mess. I'm really curious who fucked it up, the director or the writers.

3. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I've never seen such crazy drama between an actor and a writer like this. Wow.

4. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

The City of Light story line is the biggest load of bullshit. I couldn't be less interested in it.

The thought of rape didn't cross my mind once when I watched that scene. I get what some people are saying but I don't at all think that Murphy was unwilling there.

5. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I'm so confused by this show. I was so into it and never really saw all the criticisms. But ever since all the drama started coming out with Lexa and Lincoln I've started to feel real uncomfortable with some of the scenes, especially Ravens self harm scene here. Fairly certain I'm gonna keep watching cause I'm still really interested in the story, just not sure how much I'll recommend it going forward.

6. tomatohead

~

yeah this season has been so disappointing... i'll keep watching hoping it'll bounce back but with all the behind the scenes drama idk if it will

Adam likes this.
  7. Yeah I didn't get the rape vibe shit either. I can see if it were different characters but not Murphy. He was definitely down with it. The sexual tension was made so obvious in the entire episode. Why was he shocked he was chained up in her bedroom? He knew what was coming, but not in that sense.

This show has fallen off though. I was really intrigued by the city of light stuff but now it's pretty bad. I'll stick around. Shit, I'm still watching Arrow and that's fallen off way harder lol.

8. I don't understand the hate on the City of Light. That storyline is finally paying off. Cartoonish villain Pike and Belamy's absurd allegiance to him is the real weakness to the season.

9. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

You can be attracted to someone without giving consent. He never once said yes and she was literally pulling him to her. She also implied a threat on his life if he disobeyed her, I don't see how it's so hard to understand that this was rape.

mad likes this.
  10. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

It doesn't matter if Murphy was "willing" by the end. He was clearly resistant and let Ontari know there was someone else. That's when she yanked the chain around his neck and threatened him as a clear reminder that she had power over him. His choice was to either give in to sex or die. He was raped no matter how you spin that.

john-murphy-the-100 | Tumblr

mad and morgantayler like this.
  11. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

it's not about the "vibe," it's about consent.

mad likes this.
  12. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

A good general rule of thumb as far as consent goes is that if your right to say 'no' is being taken away, there's no such thing as a 'yes'. Coercion isn't asking.

morgantayler likes this.
  13. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

He has a huge smile on his face and says "the things I have to do to survive". He's loving it.

14. Meerkat

If you don't think it's rape, fine. But can you please never again refer to anything as "rape vibe shit"? This scene was a serious trigger for a lot of people and is sparking important discussion in regards to rape, especially male victims. No "rape vibe" is ever "shit"

15. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Maybe on some level he did want to, but he still didn't consent.

16. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I understand that scene bothered a lot of people and why it's problematic but are TV shows not allowed to do anything anymore without everyone's approval? She's obviously not a good person on the show, she's shown us that several times and they aren't trying to paint her as a good person. She's a bad person who did a bad thing.

17. Meerkat

The problem isn't that the scene happened. It's that the show tried to frame it as a "fun kink scene" instead of addressing it as rape

Nyquist likes this.
  18. Nyquist

That's exactly how the avclub review described it and it was a huge turnoff.

mad likes this.
  19. Nyquist Apr 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 9, 2016)
    Nyquist

And this is a big part of the problem. When rape is described passingly as "fun". If the roles were reversed, I doubt we'd be seeing the same reaction.

mad likes this.
  20. The real question is what was the intent in the first place? The scene was shot and scored as if it were supposed to be titillating and Murphy definitely showed some attraction to Ontari in the past episodes, but the dialogue made it clear that Murphy was coerced. The episode was written by Charmaine DeGraté and Javier Grillo-Marxuach and it seems strange to me that a woman and one of the writers that was the most vocally opposed to how Lexa was written off would've been so insensitive in the way this scene was portrayed.

21. Nyquist

Certainly questionable. Although it looks like they've since deleted it, the 100 Writers Twitter account retweeted a rape joke. It was the IGN reviewer making fun of Murphy in chains and the writers retweeted it.

22. Meerkat

There's also a chance it was written with the fact that it's rape in mind and then the director directed the scene differently and the music was added and approved by someone else. I'm not sure how if I would read it as mishandled if it was put against different music. But something somewhere was lost in translation.

23. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Unless I missed something where did they say it's a "fun kink scene"?

24. Meerkat

That line was pulled from a review. But the music they put in with the scene certainly implies a sensual tone. They also retweeted a rape joke.

25. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

That was a good episode!! I watched 4 CW shows today that aired this week and this was probably the second strongest of the four. I'm glad Bellamy handed over Pike and finally got his head out of his ass, for a second I thought he was bringing Kane etc back to camp and that their escape was all for nothing