Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 100 (CW) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

The 100 (pronounced The Hundred) is an American post-apocalyptic drama television series that premiered on The CW during the 2013–14 American television season, on March 19, 2014.

Season 3 starts Thursday, January 21st at 9/8c.

2. This show remains super underrated and under the radar. It's so good after like 4 episodes.

nl5011 likes this.
  3. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I can't stop thinking about last night's episode. Holy. Shit. The Clarke/Lexa dynamic has really become one of the things that makes this show great. I'm also excited to see the destruction of Bellamy and Octavia's relationship over the course of the season

4. I can't wait to watch. I think I anticipate this show more than any other these days.

5. Meerkat

Definitely. I'm so glad it's back. I can't think of any other shows where the stakes are consistently as high as they are on The 100. And I love that they aren't afraid to put their characters in positions where there's no good choice and the only thing worse than any of the options on the table is walking away and choosing nothing at all. I can't think of any season finales as impactful and intense as the two parter of last season

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

I think I stopped watching after two or three episodes of the first season, but saw that it's still doing pretty okay for The CW. I have it added to Netflix, so I plan on starting over with it and giving it another shot.

7. You totally should. It gets really good.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  8. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Awesome. This and iZombie season two are on my list of things to get caught up with next.

9. Meerkat

Absolutely give this another shot. The first few episodes can be a little rough, but it really kicks into gear after that and then season 2 is just insane.

As far as this season goes, they've been talking up the next three episodes to be a really intense and mind-blowing trio, which I was honestly expecting after last weeks episode. Cannot wait.

10. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Awesome pretty excited about trying to get into this again, after hearing about how great it gets later on. The CW is on a pretty good streak right now with good shows.

11. Meerkat

Another top notch episode. When I first saw the trailer promoting the show in season 1, I never would've thought that I'd love it this much and that I would think it's one of the best shows currently on air.

12. Meerkat

In better news, because I've now decided this is just a conversation, the new trailer for The Flash looks so so so so SO good. Nice to see the show getting back on track. Ever since I read that article you posted about the moral and ethical code behind locking up the metahumans the way they do, I've been hung up on wanting more from that show in terms of exploring mental states and emotional trauma and such. And it looks like they're really getting there. Which is cool to see because that's what I loved about Arrow and what they've seemed to forget how to do well.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. Meerkat

Posted this on AP, but I'm not sure it'll garner the discussion I'm hoping it will. I don't think I've ever watched a show where the episodes stick with me until the next installment comes along. I think Jessica Jones would've done it if that wasn't a binge watching situation, but I spend my week thinking about an episode of The 100 until the next episode comes out. This is one of the few shows where I also find meta and think pieces to be really helpful. It's been fun seeing people figure out the location of all the show's settings (Polis has been determined to be Baltimore/Annapolis) and reading the parallels have really enhanced the show for me. Anyways, here are my thoughts on Bellamy this season so far:

I've been trying to figure out if I think this arc makes sense or if it feels rushed and is approaching character assassination territory. I read some great pieces about how Bellamy has never been a leader in the same way Clarke or Kane or Lexa are. Bellamy takes what the majority want and runs with it. He appeals to the masses. Back when they were going to hang Murphy in season one, he clearly didn't want to do it but everyone was calling for it so he was willing to go with it. I think it's interesting to see what that strong will to follow looks like in a time when he's angry and grieving and even a little bit lost. It doesn't surprise me that Pike, someone who is clearly able to spin scenarios to twist them how he needs to (calling Kane's acceptance of the Clan brand being marked like cattle) and is proving himself to be a master of manipulation was pretty easily and almost effortlessly able to win over Bellamy. A strong willed follower and a powerful manipulator pretty much always equals the perfect storm.

As far as the timing of it goes, I keep forgetting there was a time jump. So while in the writers' eyes, this progression might be more natural, we've only had 4 episodes to accept that this is who he is know and that these are the choices he's willing to make. So I'm not sure where I stand with the timing of it. But I will say I'm willing to go where this show wants to take me.

14. Meerkat

I am not okay

15. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I'm insanely curious how they're going to have Clarke proceed from this. That episode was devastating.

Part of me adored the way they filmed the end of modern society, seeing all those ICBMs launch/explode from space.

16. Meerkat

She's had sex 3 times. Two of those people have died and one was beaten. I'd be traumatized

17. Garrett

Yeah. When you put it that way... I just meant like if she's gonna go rogue or try to maintain this pseudo-politician role or something else?

Is it Thursday yet?

18. Meerkat

I'm not even sure if I'm gonna watch this week or wait until I stop being so mad about how they did this

19. Garrett

My voice in this instance is definitely one of less note, but I definitely understand the "need" to kill her off since the actress could no longer be on the show consistently from the writing perspective. Especially in the face of the fact that when she's on the screen, the show is at its peak. And in this case, it didn't feel like it was out of the norm for the world created?

I saw some of your posts in the other thread in reference to the trend of having prominent lesbians die (Willow is the only one coming to mind but I know you mentioned more) in television shows. In this world we see pretty decent representation, so what would help repair your reaction in regards to this instance?

20. Meerkat

First of all, I just posted this in The 100 thread on AP about why it's a problem. I'll quote it below just in case. But I think, unfortunately, it's more of the off-screen happenings that are turning me away. Like I said in the quote below, Jason mentioned numerous times he was aware of the Bury Your Gays trope, and he did this anyway. And they continuously baited the fans and told everyone to "have hope" when they could've just kept their mouths shut. I'd just like to see some honesty. I'd like to see Jason say "Yeah, we told you we weren't going to do this, and we were aware this is a problem in the LGBTQA+ community, and we did it anyway." There doesn't even need to be an apology (because that'll never happen), I just want the admittance.

There also seems to be some weird stuff going on behind the scenes? Ricky Whittle has basically confirmed he's no longer on the show and his mom recently tweeted saying that Jason is a huge bully and that she hopes Ricky will someday tell the entire story. Lindsay Morgan also tweeted "I wish we could tell you guys everything" in a series of tweets regarding the Lexa death the other night. So something about the entire state of the show currently isn't sitting right with me. Jason also refuses to hear any criticism on their treatment of non-white characters and gets incredibly defensive. I think I'd just like to see them actually listen instead of shouting over everyone trying to talk that they're listening.

21. Garrett

Thanks for this response. Definitely have a better understanding of the anger now. Very interesting to see the behind the scenes stuff play out.

22. Meerkat

Yeah I would definitely do some research on the Bury Your Gays trope, because there are a lot of statistics and facts that are fairly staggering that I don't know off the top of my head. But I can say that in the premiere week of fall television in 2014 (first week of shows returning) either 3 or 4 (I think 4, but I can never remember) LGBTQA+ were killed off. And that was in one week of television. And I don't want to go too deep into here at the moment (but would be more than happy to go deeper in a PM with you if you want) but it's incredibly damaging to see that, especially for LGBTQA+ youth.

Garrett L. likes this.
  23. Meerkat

Also, I'm not sure who you are/were on AP @Garrett L. but I appreciate you having the conversation here.

24. Garrett

I'm hailthewarrior over there. Took the opportunity to go to my real name when I could, but kept the Ellie Goulding avatar to maybe help the transition haha.

Definitely will look into the trope/maybe send you a PM.

iplaydrums likes this.
  25. Meerkat

The avatar should've tipped me off!! But yeah, if it wasn't so sad, it'd be pretty interesting. The 3 shows I mentioned above were Arrow, Chicago Fire, and Agents Of SHIELD. Without looking, I can tell you those three shows plus Buffy The Vampire Slayer, The L Word, Lost Girl, and Pretty Little Liars have all done it.

And I don't think I pointed it out either here or on AP, but it's really damaging that in this specific case, it's done immediately after having sex? You see Lexa happy for an entire scene, the only scene in her entire tenure on the show, and then immediately after we see her smile for the first time she dies. The psychological effects of stuff like this run so deep and so many people who have the power to help turn a blind eye to it.