Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The ‘Garden State’ Soundtrack — Where Are They Now?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Craig Manning, writing for Modern Vinyl:

Few soundtracks rise to the level of cultural ubiquity that the 13-song Garden State album achieved. Along with the music from the FOX teen soap The O.C., the Garden State soundtrack was probably responsible for getting a lot of us out of our shitty adolescent music taste stages and pushing us toward more interesting, left-of-the-dial material. The album, put together by writer/director Zach Braff, was described as a mix CD of the songs he was listening to when he was writing the film’s screenplay. Needless to say, his mix CD changed a lot of lives.

2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

this was cool, I loved that soundtrack

Craig Manning likes this.
  3. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Craig- start with "Transcendental Highway" (where the original version of "I Just Don't Think..." resides. That's probably my favorite Colin Hay record, though he has many great ones.

4. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

I still love this soundtrack and this movie (mostly) unashamedly.

5. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Good article.

I was gonna say that I was pretty sure "I Just Don't Think..." was from the late '90s. Also, Craig missed the big breakout from Zero 7 being Sia becoming a prolific pop artist and songwriter.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Cool, I'll check that out. I listened to his new album last Friday. Was solid.

Good catch on the Hay song. I couldn't decide what to do with Sia, since it seemed like she was just a frequent collaborator rather than a core member of the band, and since she didn't sing on "In the Waiting Line." I added a mention of her in, though.

7. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I always thought One Tree Hill had stronger ties to teen music, although I suppose it was never as big of a show as The OC.
    An even less popular show that always struck me as having a fantastic and interesting soundtrack was Chuck. Someone on their production team must have been a huge Frightened Rabbit fan - they were often popping in during climactic scenes.

8. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

Enjoyed this article, "where are they now?" articles are always kinda fun and to do one for a soundtrack is an interesting idea.

I'm actually pretty sure Cary Brothers will be putting out a full-length this year if his facebook page is anything to go off of. That or he's a huge tease.

I've always considered the soundtrack to the movie The Last Kiss to be a sort of spiritual sequel to the Garden State soundtrack. Zach Braff stars in the movie, though he didn't write or direct it, and he did curate the soundtrack (or at least I'm pretty sure he did). A few shared artists (Coldplay, Remy Zero, Cary, Imogen) and some other Braffcore (Joshua Radin) and its pretty nicely sequenced. I have virtually no memory of the movie but I go back to the soundtrack fairly often.

9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

To add to that, the soundtrack for "Wish I Was Here" is another solid Braff entry. Though I wouldn't wish watching that movie to my worst enemy.

dylan likes this.
  10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

That's true. And good piece altogether. Was definitely a generation-defining soundtrack, probably one of the last ones we'll see in the soundtrack genre.

11. Me & My Arrow

John | Align in Time

Fun piece, Craig! I also wasn't bowled over by the film, but I'll never forget the "Let Go" scene. I hope Imogen makes another album-album soon (Sparks had some great stuff, but wasn't cohesive by design).

My favorite Colin Hay song:

12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

One Tree Hill didn't quite have the same cultural cachet, but it definitely was a player. The OC's music and One Tree Hill's music were also mostly quite different. The OC was the "cool indie" stuff, while One Tree HIll was more of the emo/scene bands.

Cary told me to expect an album from him in 2014 after I put his EP on my 2013 EOTY list, so I'll believe it when I see it! I hope that's the case, though.

I think I recall liking The Last Kiss more than Garden State, actually. I don't remember much about it, other than the fact that "Chocolate" by Snow Patrol was the opening credits song.

Yeah, I was trying to think of anything since that's even come close. I could only think of the Twilight soundtracks, and that made me sad.

I think I listened to Sparks like three or four times and then it lost me. It was just too disjointed and a bunch of it was weird. I still like Speak for Yourself a lot, though.

13. Me & My Arrow

John | Align in Time

Yeah, it's super disjointed and out there at times, better for returning to individual tracks. Ellipse is easily my favorite album as a whole. I think that's where she found her groove as a songwriter.

14. polyfilla

who can never be sure

always good to see literally ANY content around Imogen Heap

her 5 year album cycles have GOT to stop

15. Great article, Craig. This album/film did a lot to shape my tastes in high school, especially paired with Juno and its soundtrack. Gonna have to revisit those two.