Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thank You to Blink-182; ‘California’ in Stores Now • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I feel like Refused tried to change and it didn't work. I feel like Kanye and Sufjan changed a few times and it worked. I feel like Clipse stayed relatively the same and it worked, while other bands just appeared stale. With blink it feels like a very even split on opinion which is interesting.

2. kiguel182

Regular

Is that also a fact?

Sad that an insult is all you can muster when someone doesn't agree with you.

3. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

..... I told you exactly why you were wrong and you kept saying the same thing over and over, clearly not getting the point, hence why I called you dense. At this point you're just trolling.

4. kiguel182

Regular

The thing is, you didn't? You told me your opinion was a fact. And you didn't justify it. You can't say something is a fact and then if someone disagrees insult them. I mean, you can but it's dumb.

You didn't make any case and instead just told me what you think is a fact and "objectively right" so I couldn't disagree.

In the end you just resorted to insult making your empty arguments even less meaningful.

There's no point to even talk to you when you think what you are saying is a fact and can't be disproven.

fran.182 and Jared Luttrell like this.
  5. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, so someone's always going to be complaining. Haha

6. selfreliable

Regular

I got no horse in this race, but man, it seems like you are the one who is trolling. They have a difference of opinion on a subjective topic. You havent proved anything besides your need to always be right.

fran.182 likes this.
  7. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

You do realize quality of any written work can be measured objectively to some extent, right? If you don't, there's no point in having this conversation.

And get outta here with that last sentence. We've never interacted, so stop saying shit as if you know me.

8. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Besides, if anything, the burden of proof is on the person who thinks Blink's lyrics actually HAVE changed significantly in quality.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  9. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Beautiful day today. I'm gonna pop this baby in and give 'er a spin!

10. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Hey man, you're not exactly accomplishing anything so maybe just let people like the new blink record ?

slimfenix182 and FTank like this.
  11. Jared Luttrell

Regular

I would just ignore him at this point, some people feel they are right no matter what. I agree with you personally, I feel like the lyrics are a big step back, which is fine if that is what they want to do but I personally don't enjoy it as much as I did Untitled and you are I are entitled to our opinions. Anything can be subject to criticism and to tell someone otherwise is just idiotic.

fran.182 and kiguel182 like this.
  12. Walkabout

Regular

California is my least favorite Blink album. It only sporadically feels and sounds like Blink, even with Mark's writing. However, I think the production and mixing is largely to blame. The guitar tones sound like DI, the drums are over compressed and chopped up and corrected, the vocals are mixed too loud and over pitch corrected. I really think it's missing Tom's touch, I know the Tom hate train is moving at full steam but the dude could write some tasty riffs and some catchy melodies. Furthermore, the lyrics on California sound like placeholders for the most part.

AutopilotYears likes this.
  13. Walkabout

Regular

I disagree, their lyrics haven't always been "eloquent" but they were always honest and sincere. A lot of the lyrics on California just sound like placeholders for the melody.

14. jorbjorb

7 rings

I do think the guitars sound like DI or marshal MG100HDFX lol

15. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

All I know is that I don't miss these:

I felt a stutter and a waiver
    Cutting like a razor
    Like fire through the snow
    Then straight down to the bone

She creeps up like a spider
    And wants you deep inside her
    She turns you into stone
    A twisted little show

That's how it was to all begin
    'Cause good girls they like to sin
    Way back at the starting line
    When Eve was on Adam's mind
    And he was the first to go
    In search of the great unknown
    And falling yet again

You are a hero and survivor
    Your eyes are getting tired
    There's claw marks up your spine
    It happens all the time
    Those silent evil daughters
    Like sirens on the water
    You bend the perfect crime
    It happens all the time

Cause good girls they like to sin
    And falling yet again

Good girls they like to sin
    Falling yet again

Cause good girls they like to sin
    And falling yet again

FTank and Matt504 like this.
  16. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

It's pretty fucked to claim a band's lyrics aren't sincere.

17. Kizwiz

Regular

Snake Charmer was honestly my favourite song on Neighborhoods - always felt the chorus was immensely catchy. Shame to see it gets a lot of hate on here, but oh well, aha.

In terms of lyrical content I'd take Snake Charmer over:
    "Stop living in the shadow of a helicopter!" (also another favourite song of mine on Neighborhoods though haha)
    or even from this album:
    "There's a stranger staring at the ceiling.
    Rescuing a tiger from a tree."

We can easily take the piss out of Mark's almost nonsenical metaphors, depressing lyrical tropes, continuous "she said" references, overuse of "nana whoa whoa" melodic syllables lyrical fillers, etc too. But if you're a fan of Blink then you should like both of them cos they've both written so many hits.

18. jorbjorb

7 rings

The bridge in snake charmer is sweet

fran.182 and Kizwiz like this.
  19. monkeytarget

Why can't you just let him/her have their own opinion without trying to convince them it's the wrong opinion to have.

fran.182 and selfreliable like this.
  20. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I've loved everything about blink always, imperfections and all. MH was not good either. On Neighborhoods some of the songs took themselves too seriously, and between the lack of chemistry and the recording process some of their flaws just start to overshadow what was great about them. I really like most of Neighborhoods but it's the first blink album that I regularly skipped tracks.

Jason Tate likes this.
  21. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Read the entire thing and think about it before you chime in. You don't know what you're talking about.

22. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I can't believe I actually have to explain this, but here goes: just because you call something an opinion doesn't mean it is. If your "opinion" is something that's factually incorrect, then yes, your opinion is wrong. So in this scenario, saying something like "it's just my opinion and I'm entitled to it" is not only false, it's also a convenient way to shut down discussion, because there's always the implication that opinions cannot be challenged because they are simply subjective, which I think is a bullshit mindset that's antithetical to the idea of a forum.

As it relates to Blink, you can personally relate to the lyrics on this album more or less than past albums. That's fine, that's how you personally connect with what they're saying. You cannot just say "the lyrics on this are weaker than in previous efforts", because as a whole that's just not true. As we've established in this thread and others, there are little to no lines on this album that are worse than "I need a girl that I can train" or some of the lyrics from Snake Charmer. And that's just one example. Coming in here and attacking the lyrical content without even attempting to elaborate on this "opinion" is completely unproductive.

(Side note: I find it funny that the people who are moaning about opinions and subjectivity are also the ones who are always trying to claim this album is objectively terrible and convince everyone else they're correct in thinking this. But that's a separate discussion.)

23. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Fun fact on enjoying music: California and Left Alone are my current faves

Kizwiz likes this.
  24. Walkabout

Regular

Why? If it's true then how is that fucked? I love Blink, I don't even dislike this album but a lot of the lyrics on it are slapped together.

25. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Because you don't know if it's true, so it's a pretty presumptuous claim.

Ryan likes this.