Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thank You to Blink-182; ‘California’ in Stores Now • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

I really like the album and know complaining about blink lyrics is dumb but regardless of how quickly they were written, I can't believe they sat around writing and reading the words to each other like "Yep. This is the ABSOLUTE BEST we can do here." Not saying they should have delayed releasing the album until 2017 until they had a better line than "Babe I'm crazy tonight" or whatever but still maybe they could have spent more time on the words. Maybe that is the best they could do and I'm just a jerk. (I'm definitely a jerk).

2. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't think they care much about depth or eloquence of their lyrics tbh. It's just meant to be fun music. They've really never written better lyrics than this anyway

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. bencoles

GLOW ON

Don't think I'd ever turn to a Blink record for great lyricism, so can't exactly be critical of that. It's fun. 'Rabbit Hole' the best track on there.

FTank likes this.
  4. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

I know they don't care but I can still whine about it haha. I don't see why something has to be bad to be fun.

5. monkeytarget

Not liking this at all. Gettin too old I guess.

DooDooBird likes this.
  6. AutopilotYears

Regular

Great album but the production, especially how the vocals sound, is really holding it back for me. I think 80% of the songs are absolutely great, but I can't help but cringe with how much the pitch correction or layering is bugging me. I wish I could hear the songs without all the vocal fuckery because I'm sure it would sound way better.

LightsOut likes this.
  7. DooDooBird

Trusted

I'm in the same boat. I'd probably love this album if I was like 19 or something.

8. jorbjorb

7 rings

Some catchy stuff on here. The nananas are the best part imo.

9. kiguel182

Regular

Their best record has no songs about blowjobs. Some people wanted that.

This whole "Blink is just fun guys" to ignore criticism about the record is something else.

10. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Uh, it's not to ignore criticism, its to ignore criticism from people who somehow wanted a record completely uncharacteristic of the band

Ryan likes this.
  11. kiguel182

Regular

Did they not release the untitled or Neighbourhoods?

This whole "Blink is this. Period." attitude is very limiting.

Also, just because they had bad lyrics 20 years ago doesn't mean that saying lyrics are bad earns the response "it's just for fun guys".

If they want to do the same thing every record, with the same bland lyrics then it's fine but people can still listen and criticise that.

12. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Yeah I don't think it's fair to make blink appear invulnerable to criticism just because they're "fun". I don't know.

fran.182 likes this.
  13. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

They're not invulnerable to criticism, I just think it's silly to criticize the lyrics here if you're a fan of the older stuff at all, as if you don't know what you're getting. You're missing the focus of the music. It's like if someone were going to criticize Bon Iver for not having hooks.

14. Fucking Dustin

I don't think the Bon Iver criticism would be invalid either. A person could see it as a quality that could be improved on and implemented in a cool way while staying true to Bon Iver's original sound.

I don't think anyone's saying "blink should quote Bukowski" as much as it's just, well, not making the lyrics THAT bad. But I don't know. I've heard two songs from the album and never liked blink. It ain't my argument to have really. But that seems to be how fans are trying to say it.

15. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Sure, and if they want to criticize every Blink record in the same way, then that's valid. But people are acting like the lyrics on this show a dramatic drop in quality from previous albums, and they just don't. So it's just weird to see comments like that from fans of their earlier material.

16. kiguel182

Regular

Not only have they written better lyrics in the past but they are also older now and expecting and expectations change for people.

Are you going to say what can or cannot be criticised on this record?

17. Fucking Dustin

I see your point for sure. But I feel like there's a bit more to it. Jason described another band (not blink) by saying "It feels like they're a band I grew up with, but when I left and started working they were still stuck back in freshman year of college" or something like that. My guess is some people just feel that way about blink too, they have that attachment to the older material but since life has changed, it feels like blink is still back there.

Which I'll admit is very funny considering how many bands get criticized for drastic change, but I digress.

18. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

As a whole, their lyrics are no weaker on this record than any other.

19. kiguel182

Regular

That's your opinion. One that I disagree with. Doesn't make it less valid just because you don't agree with it.

20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean objectively their lyrics in the past are no better than the ones on this album

21. kiguel182

Regular

Is it that hard to understand that I don't agree with you?
    I think they have written better and more clever stuff in the past. Even more if we take in account their age.

fran.182 likes this.
  22. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I think that really puts bands in a damned if you do, damned if you don't type scenario.

23. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Literally you're saying over and over "I have an opinion and it's not yours" and I'm telling you that factually your "opinion" is false.

24. kiguel182

Regular

Just because you tell me something is a fact doesn't mean it is a fact. That's not how facts work.

Also, talking about lyrics like they are a science that you can "factually" prove is, well, dumb.

But sure, whatever.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  25. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

You are so fucking dense