Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thank You to Blink-182; ‘California’ in Stores Now • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Kizwiz

Regular

Can still see what he means though. I think Tom was just influenced by Skiba's style of play so these Skiba riffs do start to sound similar to old Blink songs. It's like how Box Car Racer's Cat Like Thief riff sounds pretty much like a rip-off from Trio's You've Got So Far To Go. But if anything, this just shows Skiba was a fine replacement.

Ryan likes this.
  2. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah I'll agree on that

Kizwiz likes this.
  3. RiseAgainst379

Regular

I know one of the things the band was most proud of regarding this album was that they didn't overthink the songs, and as a result most of the songs were basically written in one day. I feel like it really shows. Not to say that there isn't good material on the album, because there is. But there's so much filler that whole swaths of the record blend together for me.

4. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

If I see one more person using "written quickly" as a criticism....

5. RiseAgainst379

Regular

Many of the songs feel shallow. I'm not aware of any cure for that other than spending more time on the songwriting, which the band has stated several times was not their process for the album.

I understand that you disagree. Reasonable people can come to different conclusions from the same information. Enjoy your weekend.

6. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Except that there's no correlation between time spent on songwriting and quality of songs. I guarantee plenty of songs from their earlier albums were written just as quickly.

And these songs really aren't any more shallow than their past work, so I'm not sure what that criticism even means.

BigG1392 likes this.
  7. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

So far, I'm really not into this album. But it's still very cool to see the connection with Blink and Chorus. Congrats Jason!

8. Rico Suave

Possible.

Then again, I imagine Spin wasn't being sponsored by Blink-182 for a short period either.

Muzick likes this.
  9. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Why is literally everything you post just trolling to the max?

10. Rico Suave

I'm sticking to the topic at hand.

If you want to bait me or someone else into a pointless argument, use the PM function. Because it's not all about you.

Thank you.

fenway89 likes this.
  11. Muzick

Since I always skip Mark's songs on Blink 182 albums, I guess I'll be skipping this as well. Not for me.

12. Muzick

Lol

13. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm not baiting at all...literally wondering why you troll every thread. Why are you on this website just to make posts like the one above?

14. jeff.dart

Regular

Just can't stop listening. Makes me happy that they found a way to move forward and make something that they're proud of.

15. BigG1392

seems so scary to be buried

Yeah, I'm gonna have to fully agree here. I also don't buy the argument for using their old work as a measure to criticize this album, especially since many of the songs on EOTS and TOYPAJ were written the exact same way. So, if you wanna call their whole discography shallow, okay fair argument, but saying that California is shallow compared to past material is just plain wrong, IMO.

Jacob Davidson and FTank like this.
  16. Clark

@yttebkralc Prestigious

17. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I'm taking this record as a fun pop punk summer listen, and nothing more. If you want deep, thought out songs dealing with social and political issues, go spin that. This band sings about blowjobs people. Cmon

marceting and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  18. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Beg to differ. A song I threw together in a day is not going to have the same quality as a song I put more time into. The quick song might even be the better song but to say there's no correlation I think is a stretch. Art is subjective, but if we measure quality by effort, time is going to factor in. Takes a hell of a lot longer to paint the Mona Lisa than to draw a stick figure.

19. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I can't think of a single time an artist has said in an interview that a hit song took a long time to write. It's almost always, "Oh, we wrote that one in an hour." Certainly there can be some laborious songs that turn out well but in my experience at least, it's almost always the ones that just click and come together quickly that turn out the best. Once they are tweaked and adjusted and overthought they tend to lose the thing that made them special in the first place.

20. jeff.dart

Regular

For sure. I think i remember tom saying in an interview a long time ago that toypaj was written in two weeks, for whqt its worth.

FTank likes this.
  21. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

His AvA EP's are written and recorded mere hours before scheduled release.

Fox83, FTank, Ryan and 2 others like this.
  22. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I can think of many occasions where artists have said songs took years to write. Hit songs and otherwise. Your post also assumes hit songs are good songs which, for the purpose of discussion, sure, but it still doesn't hold up just cause you can't remember offhand when hit songs have taken years to write. Plus taking longer on a song doesn't necessarily mean overthinking it, it could've even mean simplifying it. It is much more typical for an artist to say "oh, it took me an hour to write this song" because that's miles more impressive in an interview than "yeah, it took me three years."

23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Creativity is fleeting, capture it when you can.

24. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Comment of the year

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  25. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

But that's not an example of good things being written quickly haha

Dirty Sanchez likes this.