Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thank You to Blink-182; ‘California’ in Stores Now

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

My thanks to Blink-182 for sponsoring Chorus this week. They released their new album, California, yesterday and I’ve gotta say: I’m impressed. I’ve been toying around with a write-up about the album that I may post in the foreseeable future, but the fact is that I think this is the best Blink’s sounded in years. Great, fun, summer pop-punk music.

You can find the album now on all streaming platforms, iTunes, and in stores. The album is making a run for the #1 spot next week so if you’re into it — definitely give it a spin (or ten). Thanks again to Blink for sponsoring the website this week. Hilarious to think that I once built a Blink-182 fan-page, and here we are, 20-something years later, and they’re sponsoring the site. It’s awesome.

2. BringsTheAwesome

Such a phenomenal album. Happy to have blink back and sounding better than ever. California exceeded all expectations for me. Hope they get that number 1 spot!

3. Selkies

That guy looks familiar

Fantastic record. Catchy as fuck fun Summer pop punk. You can't not listen to this with the windows down and loud and sing every word.

BringsTheAwesome likes this.
  4. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

I'm enjoying it way more then Neighborhoods...

bptky and BringsTheAwesome like this.
  5. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Congrats to both blink and Chorus! What a record!

BringsTheAwesome likes this.
  6. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Definitely like it a ton, much more than Neighborhoods. I like how Matt sounds like Matt and not trying to sound like Tom, it works

bptky, Matt504 and BringsTheAwesome like this.
  7. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

it's growin on me. definitely more poppier than i'd hope for, but, it's not a let down. Solid B.

CMilliken likes this.
  8. billcom6

I first came to ap.net to read the interview with Scott Raynor.

Essie and Jason Tate like this.
  9. snaps

Regular Supporter

Congrats @Jason Tate! I've followed the site since the blink fan page. You deserve it dude! Your site has introduced me to some of my favorite bands. Thanks for what you do.

10. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

The album is really good. I didn't love it at first but I've listened to it now over 10 times and its getting better each time. Nice work!

11. Jonathan Gunasingham

Newbie Prestigious

Any catch SPIN's review?

Review: Blink-182, 'California' | SPIN

goation, Reese's Pieces and Raku like this.
  12. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

13. TFT87

Regular

Didn't read that whole spin review, but he's right when he says the album is missing Tom's riffs. They didn't really push themselves with the guitar work on this one. I feel like they recycled the Adam's song riff multiple times on this album too.

14. Jonathan Gunasingham

Newbie Prestigious

Perhaps. I myself haven't listened, but there is the Tom quality (regardless of the mild annoyance it produces occasionally) that is missed by me.

CMilliken and Raku like this.
  15. Dlmgmario

If you don't think the new Blink album is some dam catchy pop punk then I don't know what's what. I love the new album. Hope San Diego makes it to be a single or at least that they play it live this tour.

16. mikalcheuk

Spin review is dead on about the lack of distinction between Mark's and Skiba's voices.

goation, fenway89 and Reese's Pieces like this.
  17. Reese's Pieces

I agree that I wish there was more of a distinction between Mark and Skiba's voices. I'd give the record a C+ overall. Catchy dumb summer music, but lacking a certain spark.

goation and mattylikesfilms like this.
  18. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Record is B- for me. I love "Cynical", "Kings of the Weekend", and "Left Alone" the most but the record is overall lacking in the lyrical department for me. I love Skiba in general (grew up listening to Alkaline) and he's good here but there is definitely a part of me that misses Tom here. I feel so goddamn mixed on this!

19. DooDooBird

Trusted

This album has been kind of disappointing for me. There's about 4 or 5 tracks I really enjoy, but the rest I can easily skip over. Los Angeles is nearly unlistenable for me. Ugh. And the other two California songs don't do anything for me either. Maybe I have to be a Californian to have a connection with them or something. I don't know. Teenage Satellites, Sober, and The Only Thing That Matters are total misses as well. Just not a good album overall.

With that said, Left Alone is absolutely awesome. Love that chorus and the way Matt sounds. And I wish Cynical was a longer track.

Reese's Pieces and suppyguppy like this.
  20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

They used it zero times

21. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

This is kind of the coolest, @Jason Tate. Congrats!

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. BigG1392

seems so scary to be buried

This is really cool!! Congrats, Jason!

Can't stop spinning this album. So much fun and so catchy. In regards to the above comments, I do wish there was a little more creativity in regards to the guitar work on the album, but anyone that thinks Tom would have made this album better is just as delusional as he is.

23. Augustus Jordal

How in the world could someone have trouble distinguishing their voices? They may have a similar range but they definitely sound different. There are definitely two unique voices.

24. Kizwiz

Regular

Bored to Death, No Future and San Diego's riff do give a similarish recycled vibe.

25. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

The riffs in those three songs are pretty similar to each other but none of them really sound like Adam's Song at all to me, they have the same rhythm but quite different melodic contours