Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tesla Is Talking to the Music Labels About Creating Its Own Streaming Service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Peter Kafka, writing at Recode:

Music industry sources say the carmaker has had talks with all of the major labels about licensing a proprietary music service that would come bundled with its cars, which already come equipped with a high-tech dashboard and internet connectivity.

Label sources aren’t clear about the full scope of Tesla’s ambitions, but believe it is interested in offering multiple tiers of service, starting with a Pandora-like web radio offering.

Weird.

2. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Why does everyone think they need to start their own streaming service?

Raku likes this.
  3. chcougar1

Trusted

$$$$$?

Raku likes this.
  4. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

But what money is there. The biggest streaming service out there still hasn't turned a profit yet.

Raku and Fucking Dustin like this.
  5. aniafc

Trusted

They might want to perfect their cars before branching off into a bunch of random things.

Raku likes this.
  6. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

In Musk I Trust.

We all gonna be living on Mars soon. We'll need music for the 4 year trip there! Lol

slickdtc and coleslawed like this.
  7. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

We'd get there a lot sooner if he didn't focus any attention on music.

Raku, coleslawed and youwontknow like this.
  8. chcougar1

Trusted

I'd say they make pretty solid cars already. No they aren't perfect but for some reason they are the only company that can produce electric cars that don't look like awful upside down bathtubs or something.

skogsraet and coleslawed like this.
  9. Stilicho

Newbie Supporter

Does anyone else have the feeling that Elon Musk is just trying to be a post 2000's version of Richard Branson?

10. aniafc

Trusted

I agree the design of the all-electric cars are cool. Compare that to the BMW i3 and...yeah, not even a fair comparison look-wise.

I'm just more so speaking on the reliability of their vehicles, though they are getting considerably better.

Raku likes this.
  11. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Yes.

12. chcougar1

Trusted

Yeah for sure. I guess in my mind it's a new technology so it's probably going to have some issues but my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer has only had to go to the shop once in the 9 years I've owned it (outside of routine maintenance). I'm not sure if teslas can make that same claim or not.

aniafc likes this.
  13. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not sure if most Mitsubishi's can claim that as well.

14. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

For having tried one, I'd say their cars are damn near perfect. What I'm worried about are the quality inconsistencies that will (predictably) arise from mass producing the Model 3.

15. jorbjorb

7 rings

Musk is crazy. He'll figure out something cool.

16. aniafc

Trusted

Oh for sure. I'm sure the Model 3 is going to create more issues than any of their other cars so far.

It's gonna be interesting watching them try to condense a $100k+ car into a $30k price.

17. chcougar1

Trusted

Yeah it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm guessing the average sale price will be closer to $42,500 but still. Great looking car.

I hate the empty dash with just the center screen. I don't want to have to look to the side to see my speed.

18. chcougar1

Trusted

It's treated me surprisingly well. After having a 1999 Jetta for 8 years, this thing has been amazing haha