Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tesla Announce Model 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

fenway89 likes this.
  2. younglikeme

ii // YLM

I think the design is really nice & obviously the price point is a lot better, but all I really want is the autopilot.

This test video of the autopilot sold me. The sight of those guys warm asleep under their blankets as the car... that's my dream every day going to work haha

ChiliTacos likes this.
  3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Almost 300k orders; that's around 10 billion in potential revenue, if all followed through with.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

Dig how the front looks. Super clean. They'll probably modify it slightly before official launch though.

5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

To put that in perspective, Bentley's upcoming Bentayga, priced at $229,100, has surpassed over 10,000 pre-orders, putting it at around $2.2 billion in potential revenue

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Speaking of being intrigued by the company, Musk's biography was only like $3 on the kindle store a couple weeks ago. Bought it and can't wait to read it.

7. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

I love how this company makes their patents available to the public

Just how Tesla wanted with free electricity

8. I have had this on my list to read for a while. Let me know what you think of it. I find Musk crazy fascinating. Not sure if you saw this post his first wife wrote on Quora about him, but it was the kinda thing I go back and re-read like every few months.

younglikeme likes this.
  9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

The Quora answer makes me feel inadequate hahah, but definitely a great response. That'd be a good thing to have posted above your door, tapping it before you head out in the morning.

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. Thursdaysox

We know it from the silence

You mean the front of it looks awesome and it is a game-changer right? I reserved mine and I cannot wait. So fucking sick and tired of giving money to big oil. Hopefully they can keep the 2018 timeframe!

11. goation

Regular

That is extremely fascinating. I think we are all aware of this aspect of great or lucrative people, but I have never seen it quite so well put. It makes me question the time I spend on the internet. I will have to think about that more.

js977 and Jason Tate like this.
  12. I mean, as long as you spend it here, then we're all good. ;-)

goation and GooberSandwich like this.
  13. chcougar1

Trusted

They basically knocked it out of the park. I was slightly skeptical about the front initially too but a license plate will cover up much of the nose anyway (unfortunately). Then all you have to do is compare how it looks to the bmw i3 and the Chevy Bolt. Then you realize it is absolutely amazing looking haha.

14. chcougar1

Trusted

Wish I had bought more stock when I did so I could pay for the car from the increases the company has experienced. Oh well. Still cool to have a small investment and will hopefully buy one of these in 2020 or so.

15. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Not a fan of that rear trunk, though. And that interior.

16. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. younglikeme

ii // YLM

That just got added to my "re-read every few months list" too so thank you!

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. Serenity Now Apr 4, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 4, 2016)
    Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Mr. Musk needs to take some public speaking lessons.

Guy has a long way to go if he wants to be a smooth as Jobs with delivery.

Of the three on stage, I am definitely into the pewter grey model. I am also in the market for a new car at the moment. $35k is basically the absolute most I was looking to pay though.

19. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I'm not a huge fan of the interior either. Screens are cool, but a car's interior is a bit of an art form, especially for more expensive cars, and I feel something is lost with replacing everything with a screen.

20. chcougar1

Trusted

The interior will change a bit prior to production. I'm hoping quite a bit but we will see.

21. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

I just think it's awesome that Tesla is getting people legitimately excited for electric vehicles. These look cool and I know people who showed no previous entry in electric vehicles being open about wanting a model 3. Changing America's idea of cars being a status symbol isn't going to happen, so might as well make a car that is good for the environment look cool and start to get affordable for the middle class, down.

22. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Stood in line and put down a deposit, as did my folks (they already drive a leaf and gas-electric Prius). This will be my first electric car (currently drive a 2010 Prius). Unfortunately I have to do a complete demolition and renovation of my tiny narrow San Francisco driveway and front yard landscaping in general, as the concrete has zero rebar underneath and has almost entirely settled/cracked/broken. Currently I've scuffed my hubcaps or even popped them off by accident while parking, that's how narrow it is.

Anyways - interested in what the packages/upgrades will be. I know it starts at 35k but I imagine the one I want will be closer to 50/55, ha.

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I thought the same thing, however they're fundamentally different kind of CEOs (that said they've both shown they can be jerks). What we lack in public speaking, we gain in the fact that Elon is more of an open/sharing type. Jobs wouldn't open source anything. Just my two cents.

24. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

ya his speeches aren't the smoothest. I mean, Jobs is/was basically a legend for being able to sell his vision so effectively, so that's a high standard to compare to. Musk is very clearly physicist material, I see that side of him in his presentations haha.

25. patrickhowell

... Supporter

276,000 preorders in 3 days. All its main competitors BMW 3-Series, Mercedes Benz C-Class, Acura TLX, & Lexus IS sold a combined 274,000 units in all of 2015.

Jason Tate likes this.