Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Terrence Malik to Release ‘Song to Song’ in March • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I'm not disputing how good an actor he is, he's great and I love him, just expressing my pleasure that his recent choices are getting away from a repetitive pattern. I would prefer he take on roles with range, roles that let him be a nasally jazz nerd and a bumbling doofus private investigator rather than a mumbly sad-yet-charming loner for the 6th movie in a row.

ConArdist likes this.
  2. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

I getcha! Yeah, he's really expanding his range, who knew his comedic timing was so good? Personally very much enjoyed the Nice Guys and La La Land immediately entered into my top 20 EVER. I've seen hundreds and hundreds of movies, that glorious film is special.

3. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

You don't need to tell me that. I was the one who said he's easily one of the best actors working. I personally believe he IS the best actor working now and has been for a long time. He's been my favorite actor since Half Nelson and I was impressed with his performances in The Believer and The United States of Leland long before that.

Blue Valentine is one of my favorite Gosling films. Drive is my all-time Gosling fave.

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Gosling was charming in La La Land but I didn't necessarily find anything about his performance revelatory. Much better in The Nice Guys

5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Drive is what sold me on Sir Gosling

ConArdist likes this.
  6. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

High five! I didn't know from your question how many you'd seen. Watched Drive two days ago for the 12th time I think, the whole movies owns. Albert Brooks, Bryan Cranston, Ron Perlman are all great. It's so hard to choose, but I think his best role is easily Blue Valentine. It crushes me like an empty soda can, and my parents find it almost unbearable to watch. Because of the emotion, not the explicit sex. I hate when Dean throws his wedding ring, that parts kills me. USOL was unfairly panned, I'm not really sure what they were trying to convey w/ that movie(killing the mentally disabled is good?!?!?!), but Gosling walked a delicate line perfectly.

7. Liz

Ew, David

I remember seeing photos of them filming this what feels like a million years ago. Glad we'll finally get to see it

8. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

is this the one we used to think would be called Weightless?

edit: wikipedia says yes.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  9. Funny, I purchased To the Wonder on DVD over a year ago and still haven't watched it...

10. My favorite would have honestly been Crazy, Stupid, Love. until La La Land came out.

I'm shameless, I'll tell ya!

11. Such as The Nice Guys, amiright??!